SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Typologies of Christ - The Source of All Blessing

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
rookie

Re:

Julius

Isa 35:8
A highway shall be there, and a road,
And it shall be called the Highway of Holiness.
The unclean shall not pass over it,
But it shall be for others.
Whoever walks the road, although a fool,
Shall not go astray.

Pro 1:20
Wisdom calls aloud outside;
She raises her voice in the open squares.

Pro 1:21
She cries out in the chief concourses,[fn]
At the openings of the gates in the city
She speaks her words:

Pro 1:22
“How long, you simple ones, will you love simplicity?
For scorners delight in their scorning,
And fools hate knowledge.

Pro 1:23
Turn at my rebuke;
Surely I will pour out my spirit on you;
I will make my words known to you.

2016/5/22 14:23Profile
dohzman

Re: In which ways is the Patriarch, Abraham a type of Christ?

In which ways is the Patriarch, Abraham a type of Christ?

I think that outside of His intercession for Sodom & Gomorah the only real solid type would be his battle as Redeemer in the battle of kings when he went forth to save his nephew who was taken captive Gen 14. So in this He was likened to Jesus who fights for the souls of men, our redeemer.

2016/5/23 10:21Profile

Re:

Jesus declared in John 8:56 that Abraham rejoiced to see his day, and he saw it was glad. With the call of Abraham, the age of the patriarchs began. The purpose was to start continuous covenants between God and mankind ended by the covenant that Jesus Christ established through His blood on the cross. We know as well that Christ is much greater than Abraham (John 8:53-58).

1) Abraham was a father of a new generation that started a relationship with God by faith, and he received a promise and covenant from God.

"For what saith the scripture? Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness." (Rom 4:3)

Christ, also became a "father" for a new generation as He reconciled us to God the Father through his blood and as we approach Him by faith, we are justified by faith.

"And therefore it was imputed to him for righteousness. Now it was not written for his sake alone, that it was imputed to him; But for us also, to whom it shall be imputed, if we believe on him that raised up Jesus our Lord from the dead;" (Rom 4:22-24)

2) "Abram" means "High Father" or "The honored father". God changed his name to "Abraham" which means "father of many nations" that all nations (Gentiles) who have the same faith of Abraham, are children of Abraham (Gen 17:5, John 8:39).

In this respect, Abraham is a type of Christ as no one is more worthy to be the true honored Father than Jesus Christ who is the true spiritual "father" of all born-again believers, justified by faith.

"That all men should honour the Son, even as they honour the Father. He that honoureth not the Son honoureth not the Father which hath sent him." (John 5:23)

All who believe, enjoy the Lord's "fatherhood". (John 1:12-13).

"Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you, And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty." (2 Co 6:17)

3) Abraham was a sojourner.
"I am a stranger and a sojourner with you..." (Gen 23:4)

He left his people and tribe to answer the call of God on his life to enter into relationship with God on the basis of faith.

"By faith he sojourned in the land of promise, as in a strange country, dwelling in tabernacles with Isaac and Jacob, the heirs with him of the same promise: For he looked for a city which hath foundations, whose builder and maker is God." (Heb 11:9-10)

The spirit of prophecy tells us this about Christ. "I have become a stranger to my brothers, and an alien to my mother’s children" (Psa 69:8).

Jesus Christ was the forerunner of the "City of God" and as sojourners on earth and pilgrims passing through, He is leading us to pass from a perishing earth to the heavenly Jerusalem. We entered into a new relationship with God, through Him, to be the members of the household of God (Eph 2:12-20).

4) God established Abraham as a rock. "Hearken to me, ye that follow after righteousness, ye that seek the LORD: look unto the rock whence ye are hewn, and to the hole of the pit whence ye are digged. Look unto Abraham your father, and unto Sarah that bare you: for I called him alone, and blessed him, and increased him." (Isa 51:1-2)

Christ is the everlasting rock. "Exo 33:21 And the LORD said, Behold, there is a place by me, and thou shalt stand upon a rock:"

"For who is God save the LORD? or who is a rock save our God?" (Psa 18:31)

And the cornerstone: "And he beheld them, and said, What is this then that is written, The stone which the builders rejected, the same is become the head of the corner? (Luke 20:17-18).

"That rock was Christ" (1 Cor 10:4, Rom 9:32-33).

Christ is our rock and through him and by faith in Him we can face divine justice safely and securely, as in shelter.

"And it shall come to pass, while my glory passeth by, that I will put thee in a clift of the rock, and will cover thee with my hand while I pass by:" (Exo 33:21-22).

5) God blessed Abraham and he became the source of blessing to the gentiles according to the divine promise (Gen 12:3).

"And the scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the heathen through faith, preached before the gospel unto Abraham, saying, In thee shall all nations be blessed." (Gal 3:8)

Christ is the source of all blessings as He blessed us with all spiritual blessings (Eph 1: 3).

The blessing of Abraham has come on the Gentiles, ONLY through Jesus Christ.
"That the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ; that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith."Gal 3:14)

2016/5/23 12:16

Re:

6) Abram saved Lot and his family and Sodom and it's king from Chedorlaomer (Gen 14).

Christ saved all those who turn to Him, from Satan’s slavery (Matt 12:29).

7) Abram asked for a sign from God to assure the fulfillment of His promise.

Gen 15:2 And Abram said, Lord GOD, what wilt thou give me, seeing I go childless, and the steward of my house is this Eliezer of Damascus?

God commanded Abram to bring a heifer, a she goat, ram, a turtledove and a young pigeon and to cut them in two, down the middle, and placed each piece opposite the other but not to cut the birds in two. When the vultures came down on the carcasses, Abraham drove them away.

Gen 15:9 And he said unto him, Take me an heifer of three years old, and a she goat of three years old, and a ram of three years old, and a turtledove, and a young pigeon.
Gen 15:10 And he took unto him all these, and divided them in the midst, and laid each piece one against another: but the birds divided he not.
Gen 15:11 And when the fowls came down upon the carcases, Abram drove them away.

At sunset, a deep sleep fell upon Abram, and behold horror and great darkness fell upon him. The Lord said to him “Know of a surety that thy seed shall be a stranger in a land that is not theirs, and shall serve them; and they shall afflict them four hundred years; And also that nation, whom they shall serve, will I judge: and afterward shall they come out with great substance. At sunset a smoking furnace and a burning lamp passed between those pieces." (Gen 15:9-17)

This represents Christ’s saving work, at sunset, a deep "sleep" fell upon Christ when he gave up His spirit upon the cross. He freed us from the bondage of sin when he descended into hades setting us free from the powers of darkness (nation, kingdom of Satan), and giving to us the riches of His Spirit (great substance), raising us up as co-heirs with Him, blessing us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places. The gift of the Holy Spirit working a cleansing fire (sanctifying work) within us. (Eph2: 4-7,Eph3: 8-10).

8) Abraham married Sarah, and she had borne him no children until old age, she gave birth to Isaac, while Hagar gave birth to a boy and both departed away from Abraham’s house.

Christ came to the Gentile’s (i.e. Sarah), as a bridegroom. They were barren but through Christ brought forth fruit, while the Jewish congregation (i.e. Hagar), gave birth to "slaves" because they refused sonship to God in Jesus Christ (Gal4: 21-31).

2016/5/26 0:22

Re:

Post removed

2016/5/26 0:55
dohzman

Re:

I mean this in the gentlest way brother, You are so spiritually minded you are no earthly good. I will not go line by line and point out many of your errors but will highlight only 1, I wasn't going to post at all, I figured that for what ever reason you needed to express it was all well and good, but sometimes "we" (I will include myself here )try to seem like more than we are, the truth is that we are mear men/women who can do nothing good in and of ourselves, but we certainly do have an awesome Lord and Savior in God.

The story of Abram and the covenant the Lord initiated with him is a picture of man in preparation of the sacrifice perhaps as Father God and the Son and Holy Spirit walking between the pieces resiteing the covenant vows, Abram had Jesus walk on his behalf and came out of that experience with his name changed to Abraham, taking on a portion of God s name in the middle of his own. It is a story of God and His love for helpless man, Abram had to get the sacrifice, prep it, protect it, but there came a time when God did for man what only God could do and that is why Abram feel into a deep sleep, in this story example Abram is not a picture of Jesus The Christ and to make him such is a real stretch.

Again I think in you effort to gain recognition maybe you attempt to reach beyond much of the orthodoxy of scripture and sometimes silence is indeed golden. I mean this in the most gentle way brother and only post here because much of what you are writing, at least in this post, is really just error cloaked in what I will say is well intention maybe?
Anyway, God Bless Bro DMiller

2016/5/26 10:37Profile

Re:

Hi Dohzman,

If I want recognition, I would post my real name. Rather than get personal, just tell me where you think there is error. I don't disagree with your thoughts on Abram, either. There are many thoughts that cannot be written in one post. I was just highlighting a few.

My wife, kids and friends think I am of some "earthly good", but thanks for being "gentle". :-)

Also, AlmostHome recently appreciated some advice. But, I have no need for recognition. Would just like to point others to Christ.

2016/5/26 11:17
rookie

Re:

Abraham's faith was established by the Rock, the Holy One of Israel. Through faith the testimony of Abraham's life reflects the work of the Holy One.

Eph 4:13
Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:

Eph 4:21
If so be that ye have heard him, and have been taught by him, as the truth is in Jesus:
Eph 4:22
That ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts;
Eph 4:23
And be renewed in the spirit of your mind;
Eph 4:24
And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.

Isa 41:17
When the poor and needy seek water, and there is none, and their tongue faileth for thirst, I the LORD will hear them, I the God of Israel will not forsake them.
Isa 41:18
I will open rivers in high places, and fountains in the midst of the valleys: I will make the wilderness a pool of water, and the dry land springs of water.
Isa 41:19
I will plant in the wilderness the cedar, the shittah tree, and the myrtle, and the oil tree; I will set in the desert the fir tree, and the pine, and the box tree together:
Isa 41:20
That they may see, and know, and consider, and understand together, that the hand of the LORD hath done this, and the Holy One of Israel hath created it.

Col 1:16
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:
Col 1:17
And he is before all things, and by him all things consist.

Keep sharing Julius21

2016/6/4 10:11Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy