and this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GOcCANyPQY

2016/5/14 4:39Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Dear brother,

I attended Calvary Chapel bible college and churches for 5 years and they were instrumental in the 1960/70's in reaching many Jesus people and hippies with the Gospel. This was done alot through music like this that was using the secular popular music of the day and reaching people. I personally do not agree with this method, but the Lord did work in this case to bring believers to the Lord.

The whole idea of popularizing secular music with christian lyrics is a new thing and really never was something that happened in Church history before. To me it is as simple as do we want a "pure" stream of water or a polluted stream with good water in it.

Lastly, just as a reminder to yourself and other saints that we want to minimize outside media, youtube videos etc that are posted on the forums. So please try to be wise and selective of what to post here.

We do have a section of "Godly Music And Hymns" on SermonIndex of over 1000 free mp3 music songs: https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/viewcat.php?cid=168

2016/5/14 6:09Profile
brothagary

Re:

Greg I tried not to post a sermon video or a teaching out side sermon index ,,this was really just an audio of some music,that I wanted to get some opinions on , I like struggle with the idea of secular music being sangtfied so to speak and used as gospel music ,,,,,but after thinking about it long and hard , to be fair I would need to treat all country gospel the same because it is also secular music ,and all southern gospel as well like the gaithers ,who used secular ghenra, as a means to express the gospel ,

Any time a guitar and drums are used in any music we are really looking at a type of secular music ,so really that would cast doubt over all gospel music ,except acapeala hymns,,,,,,

What is biblical gospel music ,, Maby a harp is the only traditional biblical model of any musical instrument ,and symbols...

Does any one have any ideas ,of what instruments we can use in gospel music and what ghenra, is bibilical,,do we need to go to the Jews to find that out , what Liberty do we have in Christ to express praise and worship and spiritual songs ,,,where is the line so we don't cross it ...

My problem is when am I being legalistic so to speak in a scenc, if i apply a rule and draw a line in the sand and say now that music has crossed the line , through secular influence..............

2016/5/14 18:13Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Brother,

Thank you for sharing your heart behind this. To clarify more, I do see usefulness or "liberty" at times to use this type of songs as evangelism and outreach but I disagree it should be something for the saints to listen to and enjoy, as is happening in all genres there is a Christian copy of it for enjoyment.

I do stand corrected on my statement, that there have been occasions of secular music being used for music in some christian movements before the last 30 years.

I do see music that is for the worship of God should be different then all else, when listened to there should be something of heaven in it? That is just my feeling.

A good sister also forwarded me this interesting link of the Salvation army, here is an excerpt:

'Before the development of the instrumental music of the Army there had been glorious singing to God, and of course this continued on with the brass banding. The Army’s desire to not make anything “churchy” continued on in its legacy in the musical department as well. Therefore in 1879 they had replaced the language of the church referring to “hymns”, to the Church referring to “songs”. Salvationists began to write their own lyrics and in 1895 The War Cry was featuring a new song every week! Within this time of writing songs The Salvation Army also began to write Christian lyrics to the familiar tunes that people already knew. The first recorded example we have of this is “Bless his name he sets me free” to the tune of “Champagne Charlie.”

I consider this to be an amazing idea! To use the tunes of songs that drunks would know from memory allowed the Army’s Christian message to spread. Although there were tensions that surrounded this type of ministry the Army crowds eventually embraced this method with enthusiasm. Another song that was discovered using this method is “The Blood of Jesus cleanses me white as snow” (J.C. Bateman) to the tune of “I traced her little footsteps in the snow” (Gypsy Smith). Another song which is still very well known “I’ve found a friend…He’s the Lilly of the Valley” (Charles Fry) to the tune of “The Old Log Cabin in the lane.” '

2016/5/14 20:46Profile
brothagary

Re:

Thanks for you thoughts greg ,I agree ,I think ,about ,that music that is for worship should be as you say ,different and heavenly ,,

But at that same time the posability that the other type of music might also cause one to worship God as a seondary effect, wile it may present the gospel and act as a catilist to exorht and Incourage people , I think I could not rule out that as some thing that also happens.....

2016/5/14 22:28Profile

Re:

My conclusion after many years is this: the more we try to use secular methods and music etc. to spread the Gospel message the less power of the HS we will see. It is a "seeker friendly" method .

Quote: ,,,where is the line so we don't cross it ...? I can't answer this, we can't be legalistic , there is a certain freedom we have. Imo the songs in the above links have crossed it, I would avoid it !

2016/5/14 23:26
brothagary

Re:

Thanks Markus,,,

On what basis would say that the above links have crossed the line ,compared to southern gospel ,,,,would you say all sothern gospel has also crossed the line as well ,

I really interested to no by what measure do we judge these things ,,rather then appealing to a gut feeling or concence. Because some people will say that in there opinion this music is anointed ,,,

So rather then our opinions,, is there a clear biblical basis that we can exstraic from the word of God ,and apply it all kinds of gospel music , and say the bible says ,ect ect therefor , This is fleshly and out of bounds ,but this is ok according to scripture .....

I must admit ,I'm finding it hard to do that ,with out Cleary making inferences,and elevating my opinion ,as if it is up there with scripture .....

Because I know many old timers will say that the above links are satanic,,,but there preferd country gospel,and even secular country is fine ,,,yet we all know the satanic influence secular country music is involved in and country gospel is influenced by culture which has its roots in sectularism Cleary if we srach the surface.....

2016/5/15 2:14Profile
brothagary

Re:

Like take Keith green ,,that type of music is secular and was very popular in the 70s,, and Keith seemed to capitalise on that type of sound

Edit added one of Keith's songs.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PLCA0D6610B27D23B5¶ms=EAEYATgBSAFYLGILTjlaVUMxYTRnX0VoKg%253D%253D&v=hmU4Yr2CnIo&mode=NORMAL

2016/5/15 2:20Profile

Re:

I can't give you a clear answer, we could probably write a whole book about the topic.
The puritans probably had different ideas then you or me.
Don't know much about Southern Gospel
But the song above just doesn't let me "connect" with the Lord and seek Him.
Sorry can't be of more help.

2016/5/15 4:06

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy