SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : What is the Olive tree?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
PosterThread

Re: A Further Thought.......

If Jesus is the root described in Romans 11. Then could the olive tree be the cross itself?

This question came to mind as I thought about this thread in prayer before the Lord.

In reflection before the Lord.......

2016/5/14 7:49

Re:

Blaine writes......

"If Jesus is the root described in Romans 11. Then could the olive tree be the cross itself?"

If we consider that the Olive tree could be the tree of life itself referred to in the garden, then it could possibly be the cross brother.

The olive tree is an extremely hardy tree. It is resistant to drought, disease and fire. Some of these trees have been considered to be over 2000 years old. If an olive tree was destroyed by fire it is capable of regenerating itself because of its extensive root system. Perhaps this is why we see an olive tree spring to life right after the great flood. In a sense it survived the judgment of God and sprung back to life as soon as the flood receded. The judgement of God fell upon Jesus on the cross for our sakes and His Body was destroyed on the cross. Yet He was raised again from the dead for in God there is an unquenchable life. The tree of life? The olive tree is life itself, is the essence of God Himself?.............bro Frank

2016/5/14 8:59

Re: Many similar analogies of who Jesus is.

Quote:
by sermonindex on 2016/5/14 6:01:31
I do believe there are other Scriptures that refer to Israel as the olive tree, but it seems clear that at least as one brother said the "root" is Jesus Christ and the branches are grafted into Him.

Praise God, what a wonderful picture of God's salvation.

Greg you are touching on something wonderful. There are many similar analogies explaining that Jesus Christ is the SOURCE of all Blessing.

Not only is Jesus the One Olive Tree, but also the One True Israel with only One True Redemptive plan and One Kingdom.

Matthew reveals to us that God was referring to His Son in Hosea 11:1.

"When Israel was a child, then I loved him, and called my son out of Egypt." (Hos 11:1)

"And was there until the death of Herod: that it might be fulfilled which was spoken of the Lord by the prophet, saying, Out of Egypt have I called my son." (Matt 2:15)

We are grafted into the Olive Tree (Jesus) which makes us a branch in it. We are no longer a "foreigner or stranger" to the Olive Tree, but have become part of the Olive Tree itself. If Israel were the Olive tree, how could you cut out yourself from yourself? The Olive Tree is first and foremost the Lord. Then all those who are of the faith of Abraham become part of the Lord (Olive Tree). That is how people can be grafted in or cut out. Man is not the root, Jesus is. The root in essence IS THE TREE.

Likewise, the **ONLY** way the Church is considered True Israel, is because they are IN HIM, WHO is the TRUE ISRAEL of GOD.

Jesus Christ is the Son that totally pleased His Father. That is why He alone is the True Israel of God. The Olive Tree indeed can be Israel if they are walking in obedience just as the Church is the True Israel of God, if they "remain in Him". Jesus Christ so identifies with His people because they are ONE IN HIM that if you are being hurt He also is being hurt. That is why He said to SAUL, "Why do you persecute me". Christ and His people (all those who have faith in Him) are one, joined by the Spirit. That is how the Olive Tree and the Israel of God are both Jesus Christ and His people, but Christ only and ever FIRST. He is the Root below the ground that makes the Olive Tree and gives life to all of its branches.

It all comes back to the one, true, perfect Son of God, Jesus Christ. No man or nation takes center stage, Jesus does.

2016/5/14 10:11
brothagary

Re:

The hidden source of life is Jesus, the root of all spiritual life,
Faith was means to be connected to the life, Abraham was the father of faith the tree ,who brought forth the branches the line of Isaac and Jacob,Jacob is Israel ,the natural branches ,some were broken off ,and we were grafted in ,,,as inward Jews ....

2016/5/14 17:52Profile

Re:

Julias writes.......

"We are grafted into the Olive Tree (Jesus) which makes us a branch in it. We are no longer a "foreigner or stranger" to the Olive Tree, but have become part of the Olive Tree itself. If Israel were the Olive tree, how could you cut out yourself from yourself? The Olive Tree is first and foremost the Lord. Then all those who are of the faith of Abraham become part of the Lord (Olive Tree). That is how people can be grafted in or cut out. Man is not the root, Jesus is. The root in essence IS THE TREE."

That is a good word brother, amen!..........bro Frank

2016/5/15 8:40

Re:

Once again I've been pondering Frank's question what is the olive tree mentioned in Romans 11. My thinking at first went to the cross of christ. Some translations of the Bible render Acts 5:30 "whom you had put to death by hanging him on a tree". Also there are some traditions that suggests that the cross of Christ was made of olive wood. But again I feel like I would pressing the envelope to say that the olive tree is the cross of Christ.

But I think that from the greater context of Romans we can deduce that the olive tree and indeed the root is Jesus himself. The whole theme of Romans is the gospel to both Jew and Gentile. Jesus is the center of the Gospel. And it is Jesus who is the one who died on the cross for our sins. So perhaps in a sense we can say that the olive tree does symbolize the cross. And the branches are both Jew and Gentile who have been grafted into the cross, grafted into Christ himself. And it is faith by which that grafting is maintained in Christ. And indeed the life of Christ will flow through those who have faith in him. That is both Jew and Gentile.

Jesus tells us in John that if I be lifted up I will draw all men to myself, both Jew and Gentile. Paul reminds us in Galatians that in Christ Jesus there is neither Jew nor Gentile. But that all are one in Christ Jesus.

Brothers and sisters we must look to Jesus. We must look to Jesus alone. We must not look to our ethnic identity. But we must look to the cross of Christ. I have heard it said that all ground is level at the cross. Irregardless of our ethnic background. All of us were sinners. All of us had fallen short of the glory of God.

But also God has demonstrated his love toward Jew and Gentile by accomplishing His work of redemption on the cross of Christ. And that work of redemption is for both Jew and Gentile who will put their faith in the Lord Jesus Christ.

Why must we have this deviseness on the forum over Jew and Gentile when salvation is offered to all who come to the cross. Salvation is offered to all who come to the cross of Christ for cleansing by Him who died on the cross.

For me the olive tree is Jesus himself. As our dear brother Fernando Ortega reminds us. Give Me Jesus. You may have all this world. You may have Israel. But give me Jesus.

Brothers and sisters simply my thoughts.

2016/5/15 9:06

Re:

Good thoughts bro Blaine, it is all about Jesus. It is about the eternality of the Lord. It is about His never ending goodness and glory. It is about the alpha and the omega, something the only thing that has no beginning and no end. Before Abraham was there was God. Abraham was called by the eternal loving God. He was called into and grafted into the Olive tree.

One more thing bro Blaine, I like the way you end your posts " simply my thoughts." This is the truth isn't it, on this forum these are simply our thoughts. Thoughts come and go and we are ever learning but love remains forever......bro Frank

2016/5/15 9:25

Re: Bro Frank.

So agree my brother. Amen and amen. :-)

Bro Blaine

2016/5/15 10:12

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy