SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : What is the Olive tree?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

I am not sure what you guys are talking about.

My point was that the olive tree- the root stock- appears to be a very similar metaphor to the grape vine in John. So I would agree with Blaine that the tree seems to be Jesus.

However there may be some difficulties with this analogy that I need to consider further.

2016/5/13 22:31Profile

Re:

Actually when Frank and I were talking earlier I was thinking about John 15 the first few verses being a cross reference to Romans 11.

It appears that the John 15 context could be the Mount of Olives in which Jesus is talking to his disciples. Also olives and grapes do grow on vines and are very similar in their growth patterns. But whether grapes or olives. Interesting that in both John 15 and Romans 11 branches are mentioned. But it was seem in John 15 the vine is Jesus. We are the branches. In Romans 11 it would appear the tree is Jesus. And again we are the branches.

For now my thoughts.

Bro Blaine

2016/5/13 23:32

Re:

Quote:
by appolus on 2016/5/13 21:54:31

Thanks Julias for sensing that. Todd could start a thread on that............bro Frank

Yep, Apollus, you have trained me well. ;-) Your posts are like a classroom with no deviation allowed from the subject.

I got it.

2016/5/13 23:36

Re:

Todd writes........

" So I would agree with Blaine that the tree seems to be Jesus."

See, that was not so hard bro :)..........bro Frank

2016/5/13 23:45

Re:

Julias writes......

"Yep, Apollus, you have trained me well. ;-) Your posts are like a classroom with no deviation allowed from the subject.
I got it."

Awesome :) What I am looking for is a spiritual conversation rather than a theological one. Theology has strained the forum and relationships in the past few months. So what do you think guys about the Olive tree in Romans 11? It cannot be the Jewish folks and it cannot be the gentiles because both are described as branches. So what is this constant that runs through the scriptures from the beginning? It is certainly bigger than any of our pet theories and theologies. It is something immovable and constant and if we are not drawing life from it then we have no life. Then ponder the oil from this tree that is scattered throughout scripture. There are beautiful revelations and truth that begin to open up when delve into this................bro Frank

2016/5/13 23:53

Re:

I always thought the Olive tree was Jesus.

TMK had some very good insights that I did not think deviated.

2016/5/14 0:16
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re:

I think the olive tree is Christ and the oil speaks of the new birth and God's original purpose in creating man, a purpose that has never changed. God is still making us into His image and that work all centers in the Lord Jesus Christ.

In Christ,

2016/5/14 0:18Profile

Re:

'When the Messiah returns, He will give the people, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for heavines, that they might be called trees of rightousness, the planting of the Lord,that He may be glorified. Isaiah 61:3'

This verse speaks to me of the 'grafting in' to the tree of life, whereby those who have been broken off, or who fallen from their first love, having sought to be sanctified through works of flesh, instead of Christ's way by faith, as the Galatians did previously. They need a return of Christ or a second blessing, so that they can become holy and annointed with the oil they can now produce ie that the rivers of life can pour forth from them to bless others with life and light.

2016/5/14 0:53
brothagary

Re:

abrham is the olive tree and jesus is the root

2016/5/14 5:04Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Quote:

I always thought the Olive tree was Jesus.

TMK had some very good insights that I did not think deviated.

I have in my reading of Romans 11 considered the Olive Tree Israel also. But after slowly reading the passage that Frank posted I realized that it was speaking also of our Lord that supports the branches. And if we are "in Christ" then we are as John 15 says, abiding in Him.

I do believe there are other Scriptures that refer to Israel as the olive tree, but it seems clear that at least as one brother said the "root" is Jesus Christ and the branches are grafted into Him.

Praise God, what a wonderful picture of God's salvation.

2016/5/14 6:01Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy