SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : What is the Olive tree?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread

What is the Olive tree?

For if the firstfruit be holy, the lump is also holy: and if the root be holy, so are the branches. And if some of the branches be broken off, and thou, being a wild olive tree, wert graffed in among them, and with them partakest of the root and fatness of the olive tree; Boast not against the branches. But if thou boast, thou bearest not the root, but the root thee. Thou wilt say then, The branches were broken off, that I might be graffed in. Well; because of unbelief they were broken off, and thou standest by faith. Be not highminded, but fear: For if God spared not the natural branches, take heed lest he also spare not thee. Behold therefore the goodness and severity of God: on them which fell, severity; but toward thee, goodness, if thou continue in his goodness: otherwise thou also shalt be cut off. And they also, if they abide not still in unbelief, shall be graffed in: for God is able to graff them in again. For if thou wert cut out of the olive tree which is wild by nature, and wert graffed contrary to nature into a good olive tree: how much more shall these, which be the natural branches, be graffed into their own olive tree? (Rom 11:16-24)

This is a very familiar passage to all of us. So, here is my question. If Israel is a branch or branches and the gentiles are a branch or branches, then what is the Olive tree? Please do not answer with isms or cut and paste what another man thinks, I am simply looking to see what others think the Olive Tree represents in this passage. Obviously nothing was replaced, the tree remains, so we dont have to go down that rabbit hole. So, what are we grafted into or cut out of or regrafted back into?.............bro Frank

2016/5/13 14:36

Re: What is the Olive tree?

Brother Frank this is a good question. I never thought about what is the Olive Tree? I would like to say maybe we should ask Who is the Olive Tree. Brother I believe the Olive Tree is Jesus. Will try to amplify more on this after I've thought this out.

Good question. Hope this results in some good discussion.

2016/5/13 16:44

Re:

You know brother Blaine it is considered by many that the tree of life in the Garden was the olive tree. Then, when Noah sent out the Dove the dove came back with an olive branch which even today is considered to be a sign of peace " holding out an olive branch." The olive tree, the first tree to grow after everything was wiped out, life from death, renewal, promise, peace. As we move through the Bible and see further examples of the olive tree and the oil that it produces we begin to see something very deep and symbolic emerge. It speaks to our spirits.............bro Frank

2016/5/13 17:41
savannah

Judges 9:7 Now when they told Jotham, he went and stood on the top of Mount Gerizim, and lifted his voice and called out. Thus he said to them, “Listen to me, O men of Shechem, that God may listen to you. 8“Once the trees went forth to anoint a king over them, and they said to the olive tree, ‘Reign over us!’ 9“But the olive tree said to them, ‘Shall I leave my fatness with which God and men are honored, and go to wave over the trees?’ 10“Then the trees said to the fig tree, ‘You come, reign over us!’ 11“But the fig tree said to them, ‘Shall I leave my sweetness and my good fruit, and go to wave over the trees?’ 12“Then the trees said to the vine, ‘You come, reign over us!’ 13“But the vine said to them, ‘Shall I leave my new wine, which cheers God and men, and go to wave over the trees?’ 14“Finally all the trees said to the bramble, ‘You come, reign over us!’ 15“And the bramble said to the trees, ‘If in truth you are anointing me as king over you, come and take refuge in my shade; but if not, may fire come out from the bramble and consume the cedars of Lebanon.’

2016/5/13 18:45Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!

Quote:
This is a very familiar passage to all of us. So, here is my question. If Israel is a branch or branches and the gentiles are a branch or branches, then what is the Olive tree?

This is a good clear observation. Branches were broken off that gentiles could be engrafted in. The language seems all in plural.

Romans 11:18 New International Version (NIV)

18 do not consider yourself to be superior to those other branches. If you do, consider this: You do not support the root, but the root supports you.

It seems clear to me that the root is Jesus Christ, the life and promises (covenants) of God. We are entered into something undeserved, gracious and the eternal plan of God, only the humble not the boastful enter in.

That is a wonderful thought that the tree of life is pictured here brother Frank.

2016/5/13 18:47Profile

Re:

Bro Greg writes.....

"It seems clear to me that the root is Jesus Christ, the life and promises (covenants) of God. We are entered into something undeserved, gracious and the eternal plan of God, only the humble not the boastful enter in."

Amen brother. Brother Blaine and I had a wonderful conversation to day about this subject today and I had posed the same question to him and he came up with the same answer as you.....................bro Frank

2016/5/13 19:18
TMK

NC, USA

It is my understanding from horticultural grafting that an undesirable rootstock is improved by grafting favorable fruit-bearing parts into the rootstock. So in essence the basic tree/rootstock is mended or improved by the desirable grafted-in branches.

But in the case of the olive tree in our illustration, the rootstock is perfect and the grafts are undesirable (i.e., "us"). So in this case it is the grafted-in branches that are being "cured" by the rootstock.

2016/5/13 19:42Profile

Re:

Hi Todd,

The question is, who is the Olive tree or what is the Olive tree in Romans 11 and throughout the Bible, any thoughts?......bro Frank

2016/5/13 21:07

Re:

Quote:
by TMK on 2016/5/13 19:42:33

It is my understanding from horticultural grafting that an undesirable rootstock is improved by grafting favorable fruit-bearing parts into the rootstock. So in essence the basic tree/rootstock is mended or improved by the desirable grafted-in branches.

But in the case of the olive tree in our illustration, the rootstock is perfect and the grafts are undesirable (i.e., "us"). So in this case it is the grafted-in branches that are being "cured" by the rootstock.

That was very interesting, TMK. I have some further thoughts but sense Frank is not wanting any side thoughts.

2016/5/13 21:48

Re:

Thanks Julias for sensing that. Todd could start a thread on that............bro Frank

2016/5/13 21:54

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy