SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : What is a "Testater?"

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread

What is a "Testater?"

A Testater is one who makes a valid will before their death. A testament must have a Testater.

For where a testament is, there must also of necessity be the death of the testator. (Heb 9:16)

The New Testament, is ratified and confirmed by the death of Christ.

After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me. (1 Cor 11:25)

A Testator, by making his last will and Testament, usually disannuls any will made before.

Jesus Christ disannulled the law of the old covenant, by His establishing the New.

"For there is verily a disannulling of the commandment going before for the weakness and unprofitableness thereof” (Heb 7:18)

He taketh away the first, that he may establish the second (Heb 10:9)

2016/5/9 10:18

Why make a will and testament?

A Testator usually makes a will and Testament because they have goods to bestow, and relations or friends to give them to.

Christ is our "treasure".
"But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us." (2 Cor 4:7)

He calls us His friends IF:
"Ye are my friends, IF ye do whatsoever I command you." (John 15:4)

2016/5/9 10:55
savannah

Re: Why make a will and testament?

We have an inheritance in His will;

Eph.1:3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ: 4According as he hath chosen us in him, before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love: 5Having predestinated us to the adoption of children to himself by Jesus Christ, according to the good pleasure of his will, 6To the praise of the glory of his grace, in which he hath made us accepted in the beloved: 7In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace; 8In which he hath abounded towards us in all wisdom and prudence; 9Having made known to us the mystery of his will, according to his good pleasure which he hath purposed in himself: 10That in the dispensation of the fullness of times he might collect in one all things in Christ, both which are in heaven, and which are on earth; even in him: 11In whom also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestinated according to the purpose of him who worketh all things after the counsel of his own will: 12That we should be to the praise of his glory, who first trusted in Christ. 13In whom ye also trusted, after ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise, 14Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, to the praise of his glory.

2016/5/9 11:44Profile
rufnrust

Indiana

Re: What is a "Testater?"

Amen. He established the second and then rose from the dead to see that we receive our inheritance!

Russell

2016/5/9 11:46Profile

Re: The Testator decides who will receive the inheritance

A Testator, establishes the persons in His will, to whom He bequeaths or gives His inheritance to. Since Jesus Christ rose from the dead, He now shares His inheritance with those who meet the conditions.

Jesus Christ as Testator hath set down in His Covenant, who the persons are to whom He has bequeathed the blessings of the covenant, both grace and glory, all that are His sheep, all that the Father hath given Him, all that are regenerated, who TRULY REPENT and believe in Him, and KEEP His word.

"And I GIVE unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand." (John 10:28)

"Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him. He that loveth me not keepeth not my sayings: and the word which ye hear is not mine, but the Father's which sent me." (John 14:23-24)

"He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him." (John 3:36)

"Peace I leave with you, my peace I GIVE UNTO YOU: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid." (John 14:27)
and Hebrews 5:9

2016/5/9 12:17

Others called to witness the Testament

In order for a Testator to make his last will and Testament authentic, others are called to witness the Testament.

Sufficient witness and testimony was made by 1) the Father, 2) Jesus' miracles, 3) John the Baptist, 4) the Scriptures and 5) the Lord's apostles

“And we are witnesses of all things which he did; ” Acts 10:39 and John 5:32, 36-37.

2016/5/11 0:26
dolfan

Alabama

Re: Others called to witness the Testament

I love wills.

Crazy but that area of law is my favorite. Was in law school, too. And this theme and NT doctrine with OT roots is what holds the whole thing together. I have not commented on the thread but I love your discussion.

2016/5/11 8:20Profile
passerby

Re:

The death of our, Lord Jesus Christ serves as the atonement for the forgiveness of sins. It is through which he bought eternal life that everyone whom he elects or names, upon satisfying the conditions, of his will and testament shall receive the new birth, indwelling of the Holy Spirit, escape eternal damnation, inherit eternal life and the kingdom of God.

Gone is the curse of death, gone is the curse and bondage of sin, gone is the requirement for the perfect observance of the law, gone is the shedding of the animal blood and other atonement ceremonies for the pardon of sin and acceptance of God to those who will follow the conditions of the gospel.

However, it does not invalidate holy living, it does not embrace nor promote sin, nor despise the covenants, promises, prophesies, and commandments of God

2016/5/11 8:54Profile

Re:

So are we governed by Sinai or Calvary? Are we governed by the words of Moses on Sinai or by the words of Christ in the Sermon on the Mount? Are we governed by the Law or the Spirit?

Bro Blaine

2016/5/11 9:23
passerby

Re:

The issue that divides the laws of mount Sinai and the Sermon on the mount is resolved by the indwelling of the Holy Spirit who sanctifies us and reveals to us what is pleasing to God through the illumination of the written word of God.

We have to read the bible and as Romans 12:1-2 says "Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship. 2 Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.

We do not cease to be moralistic but our morals is not anthropocentric, culture centered, science centered , politics centered, nor is beholden to the structures of religion or religious movements, but based in the love and fear of the Lord, character of God, and the abiding principles in the bible.

2016/5/11 10:06Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy