SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Matt 16:28

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread

Matt 16:28

28I tell you the truth, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom."

I have been wondering about this statement for years. What does it mean? Sounds like Jesus is saying that He would be coming back very soon.
Can anyone shed some light?

Bub

2005/5/24 12:25
dann

Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

Re: Matt 16:28

In the synoptic gospels, this passage is always immediately followed by the transfiguration on the mount. Many scholars therefore teach that the transfiguration of Christ was the fulfillment of this statement.

We don't have all the information about what went on when Christ was transfigured and met with Elijah and Moses on the mount. For this reason many argue that it is reasonable, by virtue of the consistent chronological portrayal of these two events across the synoptic gospels, to assume that one fulfills the other.

One might also make a case for the fulfillment as being a prophesy about what John would see and eventually record as the book of the revelation of Jesus Christ. There, in a vision John did live to see the Son of Man coming in His "heavenly" kingdom.

I believe the chronological consistency between the gospels gives weight to the fulfillment on the mount position, yet I don't discount John's vision.

The Lord showed Peter not only that he -would- die before Christ returned, but also by which death he would glorify Christ. Peter and John at least knew that Christ wasn't coming back soon - at least not in Peter's lifetime.

Dan
/\/
\/\

2005/5/24 12:57Profile

Re: What kind of kingdom are you looking for...?

Romans 14:17 says that the kingdom of God is righteousness, heart peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost. Did not this occur on Pentecost? Did Jesus not say go and preach that the kingdom of God is at hand?
So many are waiting for the New Jerusalem. The New Jerusalem will come. But we need not wait for it to enter into the kingdom of God.
To often we try to make the bible say what we have been told is good theology. It often keeps us from enjoying what God has for us now. Slip into His Spirit and let the kingdom unfold in your heart. It's an unforgettable flood of cleansing, joy, and worship.

2005/5/24 20:58

Re:

The problem with your explaination of Matt is this passage:

Mark 13:30 "Verily I say unto you, that this generation shall not pass, till all these things be done."

Bubbguy

2005/5/26 15:22

Re:

Lahry,

Is the kingdom only in the heart?

And is

Quote:
[b]Slip[/b] into His Spirit and let the kingdom unfold in your heart.

an appropriate way to describe the new birth? It sounds so casual...

Bub,

Quote:
Mark 13:30 "Verily I say unto you, that this generation shall not pass, till all these things be done."

According to the next verses, we have a task anyway, whether or not the previously described 'these things' come to pass during our individual times on earth:

[b]Mark 13:31[/b]
"Heaven and earth will pass away, but My words will by no means pass away. 32 " But of that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father. 33 "Take heed, watch and pray; for you do not know when the time is.

So, here's a clue to 'generation'. This might help you a little more, to tune into what He's getting at.

[b]Matthew 1:1a[/b]
The book of the [b]generation of Jesus Christ[/b]

There are other references to 'generation' or, the [i]meaning[/i] of 'generation' in the New Testament. Maybe (Bub?) you can find one or two more?

2005/5/26 16:34

Re:

Dorcas,

I'll look into it. But what you are saying is that 'generation' is used as a figurative or metaphorical word and is not intented to be literal. I would agree on this, that there is much in the Bible that has underlying or hidden meaning and is not intended to be literal. I interpret Genesis this way, as well, and thus I don't see evolution and Genesis to be in conflict. But many SI participants strongly disagree with this point of view. I won't go there because I have already presented this in past posts and there is no point in beating the dead horse, so to speak. How do you go about interpreting the Bible; literally, figuratively, both??? Some is clearly an historical record; Leviticus etc. begat, begat, etc. Some is allegorical. How do you decide? How is the novice reader to decide?

Bub

2005/5/26 17:28

Re: Matt 16:28 re Bub - ? lit or fig

Bubba,

Quote:
But what you are saying is that 'generation' is used as a figurative or metaphorical word and is not intented to be literal.

I quoted 'the generation of Jesus Christ'. Why would this be 'figurative'?

When Matthew wrote that, was he talking about the [i]literal[/i] 'generation of Jesus Christ', meaning 'of the Man Who was born', then? I believe he was. Jesus Christ really was born.

I hope we agree on this, specifically. Please make it clear if you do not.

Assuming you are agreed that Jesus Christ was a real Man on the earth - the Word made Flesh - what was He here to do?

(I mean the whole thing, not just preaching and miracles.

If you don't mind, I'm going to stick with your original question, and I think the answers to your questions about literal, figurative and metaphorical etc. will become clearer - at least, what [i]I[/i] think may become clearer to [i]you[/i].)

2005/5/26 17:47

Re:

Hey Dorcas.

Not sure what you mean by the generation of Jesus. My generation, being born in 1957, are those people born around that time. I don't doubt that Jesus was born and lived and taught as a mystical Rabbi. But my understanding of His generation would be those born at or near the same time as He. It becomes a figurative or metaphorical word with any other meaning applied, such as all of those people who belong to Him, down through the ages.

Is this your understanding?

Bub

2005/5/26 20:24

Re: Matt 16:38 re Bubba - 'generation'

Quote:
My generation, being born in 1957, are those people born around that time.

Yes! As humans, we think about 'time'.

When, we think back to the 'time' of Jesus, the Word made Flesh, and we can forget ...

[b]John 1:1[/b]
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

[b]Luke 1:34[/b]
Then said Mary unto the angel, How shall this be, seeing I know not a man? 35 And the angel answered and said unto her, [b]The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee: therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God[/b].

Are you (Bub) happy now to add the [i]eternal[/i] aspect of 'the generation of Jesus Christ', to your understanding?

2005/5/27 6:25

Re:

dorcas,

I am happy to add the eternal aspect but nonetheless it is an allegorical definition of the word because it is a "figurative representation in which the meaning is conveyed symbolically." (Websters)

Bub

2005/5/27 8:28

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy