SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : Living Fellowship with God by Jerry R. White

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Living Fellowship with God by Jerry R. White

…indeed our fellowship is with the Father and with his Son Jesus Christ.
1 John 1:3 (ESV)

“Christian! there is a terrible danger to which you stand exposed in your inner chamber. You are in danger of substituting Prayer and Bible Study for living fellowship with God, the living interchange of giving Him your love, your heart, and your life, and receiving from him His love, His life and His spirit. Your needs and their expression, your desire to pray humbly and earnestly and believingly, may so occupy you that the light of His countenance and the joy of His love cannot enter you. Your Bible Study may so interest you and so waken pleasing religious sentiment that—yes—the very Word of God may become a substitute for God Himself, THE GREATEST HINDRANCE TO FELLOWSHIP BECAUSE IT KEEPS THE SOUL OCCUPIED INSTEAD OF LEADING IT TO GOD HIMSELF. And we go out into the day’s work without the power of an abiding fellowship because in our morning devotions the blessing was not secured.
What a difference it would make in the life of many if everything in the closet were subordinate to this one thing: I want through the day to walk with God; my morning hour is the time when my Father enters into a definite engagement with me and I with Him that it shall be so.”
Andrew Murray
Triumph in the Inner Life, 6-7 (1959)

Some professing Christians day after day do not enter their room to meet alone with their Heavenly Father (Matthew 6:6). They are busy, distracted and do not thirst for Him. Others read their Bibles and pray regularly, but they do not get beyond this spiritual exercise to enjoy true fellowship with the Lord. They do what they think they should but actually miss the real reason for having a quiet time (devotions). Then there are some who thirst for living communion with God and cannot be satisfied without it. These meditate on His Word, pray and worship as a means for pressing through until they experience face to face intimacy with God Himself (Psalm 27:6, 8). These have learned that in his presence there is fullness of joy (Psalm 16:11).

2016/4/29 20:33Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy