SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Genesis 1 and 2

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
PosterThread
JHerndon

Bonifay,Fl

Re:

Thanks! I totally agree that you can hold to this doctrine and still love and serve Jesus! :) even though I personally don't agree with it.

2016/4/27 22:42Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

My understanding of the Gap theory is that Gen 1:2 describes a re-creation of the cosmos that was created in Gen 1:1. The phrase "was formless and void" can apparently be translated "became formless and void."

It is handy for explaining the appearance of age of the earth and things like dinosaurs (sorry- I won't believe dinosaurs were around 6000 years ago unless God tells me some day).

To me, however the gap theory isn't necessary because it just is another way of saying that the earth is really old.

I am also not sure how it solves a primary objection to Old earth creationism- namely that there couldn't have been physical death before the Fall. I don't buy that objection so it doesn't bother me.

2016/4/28 8:03Profile
jochbaptist

Gap Theory

I would like to hear how a proponent of the Gap Theory gets past Exodus 20:11.

-
For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

Blessings.

2016/4/28 11:44Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re: Gap Theory

They would say that in 6 days He "remade" the earth.

2016/4/28 11:47Profile
dolfan

Alabama

Re:

I admit that some things about the gap theory appeal to me. Missler (who I cited to earlier) and maybe others inserts the war in heaven between God and Satan/fallen angels into this gap. He uses it to explain Satan's presence in the garden as a beguiler when Genesis otherwise omits all mention of any war or of how Satan got into the garden as a liar, etc. Anyone have an explanation on that? :)

I don't need one, but if you are given to not abiding with questions without answers in this life, the gap theory may satisfy your mind. Probably isn't TRUE, of course, but it might satisfy your mind.

2016/4/28 15:42Profile
JHerndon

Bonifay,Fl

Re:

I just don't see how anyone can read the scripture as is and come up with the gap theory. And i don't know if there are different versions of the gap theory out there but the one I'm referring to is taught by dake. He speaks of a pre-adamic race and the Angels ruled the earth before the garden was created and things of that nature. Maybe Im having a hard time separating how I feel about dake and what it is he is teaching? I don't know but I just don't see it. That's why I started the conversation.

2016/4/28 23:47Profile
jochbaptist

Re: They would say that in 6 days He "remade" the earth.

TMK.

That is very bad interpretation of scripture.

The EARTH "became" formless and void (according to them).

Now, suddenly God is also re-creating the heaven?

Exodus 20:11
For in six days the Lord made HEAVEN AND EARTH, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

How can you read "remade" into this scripture?

2016/4/29 4:37Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Hi johannes-

I don't say it- that is what a gap theorist would say. I don't hold to the gap theory.

Gap theorists say the Hebrew word translated "was" in Gen 1:2 can be translated "became." I am not a Hebrew scholar do whether this is actually true or not.

2016/4/29 8:01Profile

Re:

JHerndon,

Tell me about the Dinosaurs?

Marc mc

2016/4/29 17:23
Renoncer

Re:

Hi all,

The best organization that answers these questions is Creation Ministries International (creation.com).

You can look up their scientific articles on creation.com or some of their DVDs such as "Evolution's Achilles Heels".

Blessings,
Renoncer

2016/4/29 21:28Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy