SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Ministry struggles

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
brotherneville

Columbus, Ohio

Re: Frank

I have no problem with those questions as I ask myself these same questions often.

The answer to the first question would be...not nearly enough as I would like to see. I'm not looking for one particular thing to happen other than people drawing closer to God. However sovereignly the Lord choose to attend and bless His word, then so be it. But lately it's been a struggle, I do believe that God is walking me through something regarding my dependency on Him. I feel myself trusting more in my own abilities rather than relying on His Spirit. The Lord is teaching me right now, pressing me to pray more, to re-evaluate WHY I'm preaching, it's painful but He is crushing the "idol" of preaching that I raised it to be.

As far as the second question in regard to balance...I define emotionalism as superficial response worked up by man. I believe that God no doubt moves our emotions, but they should be moved by His word, His truth! I don't just want tears, or even rejoicing...I want life change, deep and real repentance, more conformity to Christ. My heart grieves over the "dry" and "dull" church that may be doctrinally pristine and over the "spiritual" church that discredits sound biblical exposition. In my own assembly and/or circles, I have witnessed both extremes. She is messy at times, but I love the bride of Christ. I hope you understand what I'm saying.

2016/4/19 12:33Profile

Re:

Hi brother Scott (Neville?),
There is nothing wrong with desiring both "emotional reactions" to the anointing of the Holy Spirit in a church gathering as well as ongoing maturity whereby the saints desire to be conformed to the image of Christ. Many sitting in pews however are stale and lethargic and their desire to be more like Christ has waned. No amount of preaching/lecturing to appeal to their intellect will bust them out of this cycle.

This is why we must seek for the anointing or the "unction" to be upon us when we preach. A doctrinally correct, perfect exposition cannot "affect" the hearts of men unless there is an "unction" upon us when we preach. Dry sermons may do many things but they cannot change the hearts of men.

For that we need the power of the Holy Ghost.

And I can find no better example than the first "sermon" preached by Peter on the day of Pentecost. The crowd was "cut to the quick"...there was a deep stirring within them, emotional no doubt but it was even deeper than their emotions, it went to their heart...to the seat of their will.

How much time do you think Peter spent figuring out that sermon and typing it up? How many pages of notes and/or slides did he use? None at all I am sure. The man was endured with Power from on High and anointed with the power of the Holy Spirit.

There are many sermons on this very site that deal with this and you can google and find books and articles on this subject. Look up EM Bounds works and his statements on "the unction". Now, I say this gently but if you are of the more reformed persuasion and gravitate towards men such as our brother John MacAuthur then you may be inclined to "throw the baby out with the bathwater" as JM and others seem to have done.

I pray that you will cast all previous notions aside and cry out to the Lord to pour out His Spirit on you again and again and again so that when you stand in the pulpit you will not merely be bringing eloquent words but will be "dripping" with the power of God.

May the Lord bless you brother, I know what it feels like to go through what you are experiencing but I also know that the Lord is faithful and will not deny the cry of His beloved.

2016/4/19 13:37
brotherneville

Columbus, Ohio

Re: Mark

Thank you my brother for these words. This I believe is the crux of the issue. I can honestly say there was a time I sought after the unction of the Spirit rigorously. But as of late I have picked up a book before hitting my knees. The Lord is graciously humbling me yet again so that I may be a more effective servant in His kingdom. Your exhortation is helpful and timely...thank you! Grace and peace to you!

2016/4/19 13:50Profile

Re:

Bro Mark writes..........

"I pray that you will cast all previous notions aside and cry out to the Lord to pour out His Spirit on you again and again and again so that when you stand in the pulpit you will not merely be bringing eloquent words but will be "dripping" with the power of God."

Amen. And of course the key to the hearers being " stabbed in the heart," the day that Peter preached to the crowd was the Baptism of the Holy Spirit. Can I ask you Scott, do you believe and are you Baptized in the Holy Spirit with signs accompanying? ( Not just speaking about tongues here)

Many denominations are fundamentally opposed to the Baptism of the Holy Spirit................bro Frank

2016/4/19 13:57
brotherneville

Columbus, Ohio

Yes sir, I indeed do believe in the baptism of the Holy Spirit and have been a blessed recipient of this wonderful promise! Our church is not affiliated with any denomination, but would fit into the "classical Pentecostal" tradition. I consider myself first and foremost an evangelical Christian. We believe in the Pentecostal experience of the new testament. We seek to preach the gospel in a way that glorifies Christ. With gifts we seek to be balanced while applying biblical parameters.

2016/4/19 14:17Profile

Re:

Excellent brother. And it now makes sense how guarded you are against emotionalism, given the pentecostal background. Can I ask you another question :) Is the gifts in operation at some point during your services?.................bro Frank

2016/4/19 15:48
brotherneville

Columbus, Ohio

Yes the gifts are in operation, but not in an excessive manner. And not at every service but pretty consistently.

2016/4/19 15:57Profile

Re:

Amen brother, this topic is I dare say one of the most important things we should wrestle with in our lives as ministers of the gospel...the anointing of the Spirit.

I too am encouraged by you...your brutal honesty and willingness to receive from the Lord. It inspires me to press into God and never be "satisfied"...thank you!!!

2016/4/19 16:18
brotherneville

Columbus, Ohio

Re: To All

May God be glorified in our lives and ministries! His will above ours is what I pray for myself and for each of you brothers. Let us decrease and He increase and may our cry always be..."Behold the Lamb of God"

Thank you all for the help and godly counsel I received, the Lord has worked through your words to lead me to greater revelations of who I am and who He is!

In His name,
Grace and Peace!

2016/4/20 8:59Profile
dohzman

be instant in season, out of season

2Ti 4:2
Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.

The Word of God is anointed. End of story, our call is to give it obediently and before we give that Word to go before God and plead for mercy on behalf of those who would hear. Occasionally the Lord allows us , like He did Moses, to see His glory, be content in that.

2016/4/20 9:15Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy