SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Why do so few get involved in discussions on Sermon Index???

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread

Why do so few get involved in discussions on Sermon Index???

This post is mainly for all those who DO NOT normally post on this forum. Here is your chance to say something lol.

I personally would like to know why you rarely, if ever post on this forum? The ratio of registered members to active posters seems to be very, very low.

Please understand this is not a dig at you at all, but a survey if you like, so I can learn something about myself and how I can change in the way I interact with others online and in group discussions.

In real life group discussion most people remain quiet and say nothing when the talkative people (like me) do all the talking. Which is sad really and something that we need to understand so we can bring change.

The flip side to this though is that if the talkative people do not start talking, then noone ever says anything:-)

Perhaps you are just shy? Afraid of being shot down? Or maybe you don't have the time or the energy? Or is it that the few posts you have started, have never received any comments or feedback? Is it this site? Is it boring or focused on beating the same old dead horses over and over again...issues that have no bearing on your life and thus do not draw you in?

Whatever the reason, I pray we can all have a very fruitful discussion about this matter.

Now its your turn. Please say something...um, anything:-)

2016/4/9 11:25

Re: Why do so few get involved in discussions on Sermon Index???

I will add this. Perhaps one reason is that the forums are confusing? Greg are you listening:-) Having a top ten on the home page and then having to go into the guts of the forums and figure out where the old thread went that you were following. That can be confusing.

Also the sheer volume of posts that get put up can be overwhelming. Anybody can post anything they want it seems, very little is moderated from that point of view from what I can tell. Not that this is a bad thing, but if there are dozens of posts put up each day, then one can tend to skim over most of them as they zing past. Just a thought.

2016/4/9 11:31
mama27

Re:

Since this is just a survey, I will put in my two cents. Firstly, life is busy, and if there is extra time, I ought to be spending it with the Lord. That said, often I will come to this site and read what others have posted as a fellowship of sorts with other believers who for the most part are intent on following hard after God. I used to post my thoughts more, but would often be challenged, or misunderstood. Because I am an overly conscientious sort of personality I would be upset for hours at what I had said to bring on such a response. I found I did not have the emotional energy to deal with the comments, so it was "safer"/more expedient not to be drawn into the fray. Not sure this helps, but it is my reason for not posting more.

2016/4/9 11:36Profile

Re:

Thank you mama! I am glad you were honest, this is what I thought might be the case with some people. I think this is one of the reasons why I left a couple of years ago. Just didn't like the fact that something so silly as an internet forum was "eating my lunch" lol. So I left. But now I am back and want to learn how to interact with others more in keeping with the way Jesus would do it. Blessings sister!

2016/4/9 11:48
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re: Why do so few get involved in discussions on Sermon Index???

These forums are not for the faint of heart. It takes courage to post something not knowing if it will be accepted or rejected. And if it is in disagreement to the original post, someone will invariably try to put you in your place and let you know you were out of line (according to them).

Mark, I've never gotten this from you but there are definitely some theological bullies here who do not allow dissension (in their eyes) and if it's from a woman... oh my Armageddon!! (my sense of humor kicking in)!!! Ginnyrose posted something the other day and somebody reamed her out over her well documented opinion. She never picks on anybody!

God bless you for even starting this discussion,
Lisa

EDIT: I did not see mama's comment before I posted this, so I rest my case!!! :)

When I first joined, I was much more argumentative (I know, right?!), so if I have offended anyone previously, please forgive, God is still working on me too!

2016/4/9 11:55Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Brother Mark, I would love to give you my personal reasons, I'll just let these few scriptures let you know why I will just keep my reasons to myself. :-)

Ephesians 4:29
Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear.

Matthew 15:11
It is not what goes into the mouth that defiles a person, but what comes out of the mouth; this defiles a person.”

Colossians 4:6
Let your speech always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how you ought to answer each person.

Proverbs 15:1-2
A soft answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger. The tongue of the wise commends knowledge, but the mouths of fools pour out folly.

2016/4/9 12:10Profile

Re:

Hi Lysa,
I think it is good every once in a while to "stop talking" and listen to our heart:-) We can be so full of opinion and knowledge that we completely miss the negative effect we have on others. I think I do this a lot more than I realize.

And yes, oh my armageddon...didn't you get the memo sister...women MUST be silent in church as well as on forums lol. When you grow up in a church where woman are told directly and bluntly that they are not welcome to speak or even pray out loud in any kind of believer gatherings, then you can imagine how that attitude spills over into social media and christian forums like this. That said, I don't think this is an issue on SI, at least not what I can see. Maybe in one or two bullys but we can just ignore them right? :-)

2016/4/9 12:14

Re:

Thanks brother Bill. But you have posted a whopping 2347 times already. Are you saying that of late you post very infrequently because of those warnings in scripture?

2016/4/9 12:16
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Quote:
Lysa but there are definitely some theological bullies here who do not allow dissension (in their eyes)

I would have to agree with Lysa 100% on this statement, I truly believe this is why most don't post. I heard a preacher say once "you have never really been beat up until you have been beat up by a Christian".

Mark I've been here 11 years. I don't think that would be whopping. That's not even 1 post a day.:-)

2016/4/9 12:19Profile

Re:

Hi brother Bill, I see yours and Lisas point about the bullying. Like Lisa said its not for the faint of heart. Thats a crying shame though. I wonder if we were all in the same room and discussing the same issues if we would speak the same way we do on social media. I don't think so, which is one of the banes of the 21st century imho. Humans have not yet figured out how to speak online the same way they do in person.

Is there any short term solution? I think that a site like SI can have a huge and positive impact on this problem, but we have to learn to love one another and speak the truth in love with one another.

Too often though, people cannot take correction and end up leaving or asking to have their account deleted. Or they just go quiet and lurk. The vast majority on SI however are pretty good about taking correction and I see lovely humility and apologies all the time from active members.

On the flip side, while those who are offensive need to learn to take correction, those who are offended and go quiet may have to check their heart as well and make sure they harbor no grudge against anyone on this site. Thats another issue of course, but probably related.

2016/4/9 12:29

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy