SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Mortifying. Desires

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
PosterThread
brothagary

Re:

I think when it comes to foods ,,,we our flesh are addicted to yummy foods over plain food ,,it is not our spirit that wants he ribs or steak ,but our flesh that wants to be tikkeld with the best tasting ,for grafafication of the pleasure sencors , how much is too much ,,,,,when we can't get our tasty food or it gets burned by the wife and is not good to the plaate ,and we get a little cranky or displeased ,,,,it is the flesh that is disappointed ,not the spirit or the inner man ,,he does not care about food ,.

My meat is to do the will of the father ,I have meet Ye no not of ..

2016/3/31 15:20Profile

Re:

I agree, but forbidding it as a "law" is another issue.

Even the TV. I have a TV, but have had no form of cable/satellite in our home for many years. I think that's wise, but making it a "law" or doctrine for others is a problem. Saying "watching sexually immoral & worldly programming" is no problem & Biblical. Telling someone else they have to get rid of their TV to please God another issue altogether.

2016/3/31 15:33
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

quote:
"for grafafication of the pleasure sencors"

This begs the question- is God pleased when our "pleasure sensors" are pleased? After all he created us with them. Why? I am not talking about sinful acts- I am talking about smelling Thanksgiving dinner or tasting a freshly picked strawberry in about a month or so in these here parts. Or am i relegated to gruel, whatever that is? I eat plain oatmeal a lot of mornings and there is not much to commend it- other than its health benefits.

The problem with the points mentioned in the OP is that it seems to suggest if I enjoy eating a strawberry then I am not a spiritual person. I should have eaten moss.

2016/3/31 17:56Profile

Re:

TMK,

When God made man, He said, "it is good".

The body will do what the spirit in it tells it to do.

The body is amoral.

That is why Paul could say this:

Romans 6:18
Being then made free from sin, ye became the servants of righteousness.
I speak after the manner of men because of the infirmity of your flesh: for as ye have yielded your members servants to uncleanness and to iniquity unto iniquity; even so now yield your members servants to righteousness unto holiness.

The body does what the spirit tells it to do. Now, we have a new spirit, joined to Jesus.

2016/3/31 18:48
elected

Tulsa OK

Re:

I don't understand what is the issue? Are we saying we don't need to mortify sin or the flesh with its passions and desires?

The flesh according to the Bible is in conflict with the Spirit. We must oppose it's unholy desires and tendencies which will eventually lead us to sin, if we don't abstain from the lust of the flesh. The law of the spirit of sin and death operates in the flesh and the law of the Spirit of freedom and life operates in a Christian who is indwelled by the Spirit and who walks in the Spirit. Romans 7 and 8 makes that clear and the difference of living under the law and under the Spirit.

Under the law we are slaves of sin, under grace we are slaves of righteousness if we obey God. The realm of the flesh and the realm of the Spirit are in conflict with each other. The enemies of the Christian are the flesh, the world and the devil.

If we don't agree that we have to crucify the flesh, we are not agreeing with the Apostles and the Bible, that doctrine has been preached for 2000 years in the Church and is fundamental that we practice crucifixion of the flesh in our daily walk with the Lord as we yield to the Spirit we will be empowered to live godly by the grace of God.

2016/3/31 19:07Profile

Re:

God is pleased when we deny ourselves to greed, covetousness, lust, etc. We mortify our members & die to sin that still tries to raise its head in this body of flesh. But that's different than "taste not, touch not,.." Etc. thinking that denying ourself a normal Pleasure (like eating food when not eaten in gluttony or extravagance) will somehow make us more holy/mature? Read the book of Galatians. Asceticism is not a balanced view of Biblical mortification that Romans speaks of. If you want to "go without eating", or eat terrible tasting food, that's fine & that's your choice. Start teaching a false legalistic ascetic doctrine imposing that on others (or else they can't be holy or mature) & you got big problems, bad doctrine, bad imbalance, etc.

2016/3/31 19:58
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Redi wrote:

"Are we saying we don't need to mortify sin or the flesh with its passions and desires?"

As a practical matter, what does that mean to you?

2016/3/31 20:01Profile

Re:

Redi

Your post is good stuff, sound and biblical. However we have to realize some people get their information second hand, not by the Holy Spirit's illumination of the Word of God.
That's why they are so confused about almost everything because the source material they use is corrupt and is corrupting them in turn.

They can turn to God however in humility and HE will teach them HIS way.

2016/3/31 20:06
brothagary

Re:

But jeff in reality ,that as what we do when we fast ,and some people want to do it more then others ,and yes it seems to increase our santfication .....

What if a group of people get together and do a Daniel fast for three years and encourage others to do that ,,that's not legalism at all ... Nor is it forbidden in scripture .......

2016/3/31 21:50Profile
passerby

Re:

we have to recall that rc have different doctrine of salvation, and how to maintain a clear conscience. If someone wants to lead an ascetic life then so be it, but will it make someone holier or become a better neighbor to others.

It is a real pity to see those mental patients suffering from obsession and compulsion of their scruples.

2016/4/1 0:52Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy