SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : The Dark Night of the Soul

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
brothagary

Re:

There just so much of what the Mystics teaches that one one hands is plain pagan mysticism , in Christian garb ,and on the other hand no scriptural support or examples of those things contained their in , but one would need to completely spirtulize a text and milk it to make it say what has clearly never been interpreted to say even by most or all evangelical greats and small alike ....not even tozer taught mystasism or contemplation ,as taught by John of the cross and Teresa of Avila , neither did wilkinson ,or weasly or Whitfield ,,,nor Edwards , yet men like Edwards and weasly taught greatly on fillings and baptisms in the spirit ,

Do we really need to over look all the for fathers of the faith who held God in one hand and the bible in the other hand ,and plum in to tainted well of the romon Catholic teaching,,

I think not !

2016/3/28 5:12Profile

Re: brother gary

The Roman Catholic church has always been wary of this teaching and those who believed it have been persecuted by it. Madam Guyon is another example. It cannot be called a catholic teaching just because some catholics believed in it. I don't know why they remained in it but in the past they had limited choices.

The people you mentioned were familiar with these writings but did not emphasise them, no doubt due to the prejudices against them by those who had not walked that path.

Baptism of the Spirit is very much involved with this pathway.

2016/3/28 5:32
brothagary

Re:

Your last paragraph ,,is plain usumption Brenda , unless you can provide me where they said that , or else it may be that you are just plain wrong about ,,,I'm sure we can all think up reasons why those men never emphasised or taught monkish way of life and the teachings like contemplation .....its just hearsay .....

2016/3/28 6:08Profile

Re:

Well it is a highly controversial subject as you know Gary.

Thank the Lord that we have more to agree about than disagree over.

2016/3/28 6:17

Re: Gary

Gary, respectfully, I read Brenda's statements and I'm inclined to agree with them. Just because Tozer or somebody else quotes from those we call the Catholic Mystics does not mean that this is an embrace of the RCC.

Many of our Calvinistic brethren quote from St. Augustine. He was definitely a Catholic. Does quoting from St. Augustine mean that these Calvinistic brethren endorse the RCC? I hardly think so.

As usual bro,

My thoughts.

Brother Blaine

2016/3/28 6:26
brothagary

Re:

Yes Brenda I'm thankful for that,,,,but at that the same time I'm not ruling those teachings ....just wanting harmony with the scriptures......

2016/3/28 7:11Profile
brothagary

Re:

Yes Blaine , I understand that ,, and if I thought tozer embraced romon Catholic doctrine ,,,,he would not be my favoured preacher....

But it can still led to confusion , and false doctrine and the stumbling of the young in Christ ,and those not yet in Christ .......

I don't want derail the thread more then it has ....just the name of the thread brought back memories of when I followed the Mystics ,and how it brought confusion .so I thought it was worth a mention of the oridgnal term the dark night and what the ment to the one who used the term .......

2016/3/28 7:18Profile
brothagary

Re:

double post edit

2016/3/28 7:18Profile

Re:

Brother

Yes I know that there is the danger of confusion and going astray into non Christian teachings regarding the 'higher life' if we can call it that.

If we think about it, it is to be expected that Satan would do this to put people off. Wherever there is truth there is also conterfeit.

I was fortunate in that I was not being influenced by anyone due to my illness preventing me from going to church quite often, but it did not stop the Lord from answering my burning desire to be His pure bride. A few important books came my way and the truth was confirmed to me and there was no confusion. I was fortunate to have not been introduced to this teaching beforehand.

A young believer needs to be taught to be led by the Spirit in understanding scripture and not the teachings of men first and foremost so that he will be able to discerne the truth for himself. And that truth comes to those who stand against sin in themselves and do not compromise.

2016/3/28 7:45

Re:

But getting back to what Frank said, l know that there are many who are disaffected and outside the church, whom you say are in the wilderness, but is this the same as them going through the 'stripping' in which they lose all that is dearest to them? I would love to think so.

Not in a bad way but would love too see warriors arising

2016/3/28 8:00

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy