I’d rather have Jesus than men’s applause;
I’d rather be faithful to His dear cause;
I’d rather have Jesus than worldwide fame;
I’d rather be true to His holy name

He’s fairer than lilies of rarest bloom;
He’s sweeter than honey from out the comb;
He’s all that my hungering spirit needs;
I’d rather have Jesus and let Him lead

I was blessed recently by this song, wonderful lyrics.

You can get it from [url=http://www.fireonthealtar.com/compilations/eric/IdRatherJesus2.MP3]here[/url]
God bless you,
Kire

2005/5/19 15:10Profile
_Disciple_

The Netherlands

Re: I’d rather have Jesus

Quote:

Tears_of_joy wrote:

I was blessed recently by this song, wonderful lyrics and voice.

Amen bro Amen, this is such a blessing, i was stunned when i heard this, very pure!

praise God, because the testimony is also powerfull!

in Him

William

2005/5/19 15:17Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re: I’d rather have Jesus

I have never heard the one on Fireonthealtar.com but it is an old hymn that is in old hymn books in America. I'm not sure who wrote it but I've heard it many times.

2005/5/19 15:57Profile
Tears_of_joy

Re:

Quote:
I have never heard the one on Fireonthealtar.com but it is an old hymn that is in old hymn books in America. I'm not sure who wrote it but I've heard it many times.

Brother, thank you for this. I made some search and found the story behind this song.

It is really encouraging:

[i]"It was in the thirties. Business curves were still heading downward and there was rumor of a salary cut at the New York insurance office where twenty-two-year-old Beverly Shea was employed as a clerk. Possessor of a deep melodious voice, the young man was offered a radio contract and immediately saw opportunities for fame and possible riches in his regular appearance on a secular program.

He had been pondering the matter for several days when he sat down to the piano early one Sunday morning to rehearse a hymn he was to sing in church that morning. As he played and sang his eyes fell on a piece of paper, on which was written:

I’d rather have Jesus than silver or gold

I’d rather be His than have riches untold!

The poem, by Mrs. Rhea Miller, had been placed where Beverly would see it by his mother, a minister’s wife, who knew of the offer her son was pondering. Above all, she wanted her son, a Christian, to become wholly consecrated to his service.

As his eyes raced over the words, the sentences I’d rather have Jesus than men’s applause and I’d rather have Jesus than worldwide fame struck his very heart. His fingers unconsciously left the tune he was rehearsing and began to find this melody which is today known to millions."[/i]

I got this from [url=http://www.tanbible.com/tol_sng/idratherhavejesus.htm]I'd rather have Jesus[/url]

2005/5/19 16:12Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy