SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : Emotions as an Act of Service

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
MichaelLiao

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Emotions as an Act of Service

“26 Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness. For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words. 27 And he who searches hearts knows what is the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints according to the will of God.” -Romans 8:26-27

Preachers often tell their congregants to not trust in their feelings, but trust in the Word of God. The slogan goes, “Fact, Faith, and Feelings.” First, God’s Word is the fact. Then faith is belief in that truth. Feelings will then follow the belief.

But, sometimes feelings are absolutely necessary in the Christian life. We think acts of service involves setting up tables in church for an event, or bringing food to feed your brothers and sisters. All of which is true. But, we must never forget that God fashioned us in a way where we have a spirit that connects to Him and a soul that contains our mind, will, and emotions.

Over the years, I have learned to serve God with my tears. Before I was a Christian, I could cry, but not to the degree which the Holy Spirit stirs up the emotions in my heart today. It is not something that can be conjured up on my own. Whenever a news story on the internet displays tragedy, sickness, death, injustice, and just any fallenness in general, I cannot help but weep. I use to read the news with apathy. Now, the Holy Spirit controls my emotions and He weeps through a vessel like me.

Many Christians know the precepts of God, but how many of us know the heart of God? We know His commands, but do we know the heart behind His commands? We can study the Bible, systematic theology, apologetics, church history, only to have what Leonard Ravenhill described as, “Having a big fat head and a shrunken soul!”

Do we feel what He feels for this fallen world? I believe there is a call for us to go back to the Holy Spirit and allow Him to do what He pleases! And He manifests Himself in a supernatural way where you can never take any glory for it!

Romans 8:26-27 mentions the Spirit and how He intercedes for us when we are weak. It says groans that are too deep for words. Sometimes that involves crying and tears. Then it goes on to say that He intercedes for the saints according to the will of God. You may not know what you’re praying at this point, but I guarantee you that when there is a manifestation of groaning and tears that derive from the Holy Spirit, you are praying God’s will for you. Sometimes He brings to your mind a person who’s going through a hard time and He stirs your emotions to weep for that person. Why? Because ultimately, it’s not you who’s broken for that person, it’s God!

Jesus is so compassionate that He travails over the souls of men. Remember when Jesus called out the Pharisees in Matthew 23 when He called them brood of vipers, whitewashed tombs, and hypocrites? (Man, Jesus was rough!) Notice what happened after the Pharisees walk away:

“37 “O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the city that kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to it! How often would I have gathered your children together as a hen gathers her brood under her wings, and you were not willing! 38 See, your house is left to you desolate. 39 For I tell you, you will not see me again, until you say,‘Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord.’”

Jesus lamented over the Pharisees walking away from Him. He wanted to gather them as a hen gathers her brood under her wings, yet they were not willing to repent. Now that our Lord lives in us through the power of the Holy Spirit, should we not feel His lamentations over a desolate world?

The Book of Lamentations is full of weeping. Full of darkness. The cries of Jeremiah over a fallen Israel are the cries of God over His rebellious people. There is such an identity with God when our hearts unite with His in weeping for the lost.

Let us never forget that when Zion travailed, she brought forth her children (Isaiah 66:7). In some translations, the word “travail” is used interchangeably with being in labor. Without labor, there is no new birth. No new birth, no Christians.

The Apostle Paul, concerned with the Galatian church falling into legalism, told the Galatian believers, “My little children, of whom I travail in birth again until Christ be formed in you.” (Galatians 4:19) If giving birth is excruciating, how much more pain is fighting on our knees in order to give spiritual life to others?

We seem to have a superficial understanding of what it means to be born again. Being born-again is a supernatural work of God, whereby God takes out the heart of stone and gives a heart of flesh. And yet, we have reduced it down to just simply believing a creed, or saying a few magical words to make one a Christian.

No!

The new birth requires us to travail in the Spirit for the lost. Paul had the pain of childbirth for the Galatian church. Jeremiah lamented over Israel. Nehemiah was in anguish over Israel. Not to mention Jesus; the King of kings wept over Lazarus! He knew Lazarus would be raised from the dead, yet He still wept. We have a King who is truly compassionate for His people. He came to seek the lost, not those who think they’re found.

I realized that we are a very institutionalized people. We’re so educated with our books that we forget the experiential relevance that comes in Christ. We know a lot about God, but do we know Him?

Finally, I want to leave with you a few quotes from Leonard Ravenhill. They read:

“No man is greater than his prayer life. The pastor who is not praying is playing; the people who are not praying are straying. We have many organizers, but few agonizers; many players and payers, few pray-ers; many singers, few clingers; lots of pastors, few wrestlers; many fears, few tears; much fashion, little passion; many interferers, few intercessors; many writers, but few fighters. Failing here, we fail everywhere.”

“Some women will spend thirty minutes to an hour preparing for church externally (putting on special clothes and makeup, etc.). What would happen if we all spent the same amount of time preparing internally for church - with prayer and meditation?”

“No man - I don't care how colossal his intellect - No man is greater than his prayer life.”

May our God and Father and our Lord Jesus Christ give us the gift of tears through His Holy Spirit - not only for our own fallenness, but for those around us. We clearly need to drop our studies and return to Him with our full hearts in submission to His will,

- Amen

2016/3/19 0:44Profile
yuehan

Re: Emotions as an Act of Service

Hi MichaelLiao,

There will be times of difficulty and grieving in this life, for both believers and non-believers. But it's important to bear in mind Paul's exhortation to us in Philippians 4:4 - "Rejoice in the Lord always. Again I will say, rejoice!".

This exhortation is exclusive to believers only. After all, isn't it joy - not grief - which is the fruit of the Holy Spirit?

Jesus, as a holy being who was happily dependent on His Father, was very much characterized by joy - and that is an expression of holiness (Gal 5:22). Unlike many visual depictions of Him, I'm sure He smiled a lot. And let us not forget that "He grew... in favour with God and men" (Luke 2:52).

My personal experience:

There was a day when I realized that the joy which Christ supposedly promise was largely elusive to me (prompted by the mention of Phil 4:4 at a church service). Yes, I had great moments of God including mountain-top experiences - but I could not genuinely say that my Christian journey had been characterized by joy.

Sometimes we can make a big deal about the distinction between 'joy' and 'happiness' - but if someone isn't happy or rarely smiles, then there certainly isn't much joy.

So at that church service, I asked God to teach me His joy, and it's been a journey since.

I realized I had to allow my thoughts to be dominated by Jesus Christ - trusting who He is, His finished work on the cross, and also the reality of who I am in Him. How can we not be happy when we are beholding Him and the perfect work He accomplished at the cross?

I care for the lost, because I am a new creature in Christ. But that concern does not dominate my thoughts and feelings. No one can lay claim to these parts of our being, for that is reserved for Christ alone.

And so I have learnt to rejoice in God, even during the process of grieving. How does that happen? When I decide to trust Him - that He is indeed who He says He is, I can rejoice in Him and all that He is.

2016/3/19 8:53Profile
Renee_is_His

Garland, TX

Re: Emotions as an Act of Service

AMEN!!!
Brother Michael, you have truly expressed what I believe is the heart of God.
There are too few who are truly willing to enter into the sufferings of our Lord. This is where we fellowship with Him - "that I might know Him and the power of His resurrection, AND the fellowship of His sufferings..." (Heb. 3:10). When we love someone, we share in their joy and their pain. It is a privilege that He wants to share His pain with us. This will move us to intercede by the Holy Spirit, if we yield to Him in this way.

I have been in travail all this week. I know what you speak of. It is agonizing, but what joy will come when God's purposes have been birthed and brought forth. Thank you for this brother!! It is a confirmation to me. God bless you.
I came across this gem of an article by Wesley Duewel about carrying a prayer burden from the Holy Spirit; I hope it greatly blesses you as it did for me:
https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/articles/index.php?view=article&aid=28224

2016/3/19 9:52Profile
MichaelLiao

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Re:

Dear friends,

thank you for replying. I'm happy you are all blessed with what is written here. Ultimately, I've had the same experience of not having much joy in my Christian life. However, when I found myself in Christ, I began to have the freedom of the Spirit within me and He begins to show me His heart by giving it to me. His Spirit stirs the anguish within for the lost. That is His ministry.

May the Lord bless you all into a deeper communion with the Spirit through Christ.

- Amen

2016/3/20 0:09Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy