SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Is the call of preaching more important in Kingdom work than the private call to prayer?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread

Is the call of preaching more important in Kingdom work than the private call to prayer?

I have heard it said that the most important work that a man can do is to preach the gospel from the pulpit. Indeed Paul tells us that if one aspires to the office of overseer. It is a fine work he does.

Thus my question. Is the public call to ninistry more important than a private call to prayer? Is the call to be a preacher, elder or a church leader, one who has a public ministry, is this more important in God, then the role of an intercessor.

We hear about many great preachers. What does church history tell us of those that have been great prayer warriors. Or is there such a thing. Does the ministry of prayer have value in the eyes of God? Does the ministry of prayer advance the kingdom purposes of Christ?

I used to think I knew the answer to these questions. But now, I wonder if it is the public ministry that does more for the kingdom the role of intercessory prayer.

I don't know saints. I am just musing out loud here.

Respectfully posted.

Brother Blaine

Redited to correct grammatical mistakes.

2016/3/18 11:16

Re: Is the call of preaching more important in Kingdom work than the private call to

They are both related. Go out and preach and you will realize how much of a prayer life you need. Every great preacher most likely had a deep prayer life. And those with deep prayer lives, can't help but speak in the open what he has heard in secret.

2016/3/18 13:18

Re:

I agree with Julius 100%. When you stand up to preach, make sure you are "shouting from the rooftops what was spoken to you in the secret place". The combination of bold proclamation, study, & prayer dependence are intricately linked.

2016/3/18 13:24
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Re:

I believe that Julius hit the nail on the
head. Effective preaching comes from
the anointing, and the unction of the
Holy Spirit comes from spending time
in the prayer closet.

Jesus didn't say that His house would be
a house of preaching, but a house of
prayer. Every great evangelist that had
great success in the winning of souls
had intercessors and prayer warriors
that were praying for the meetings.

The Holy Spirit can do more through
men in 5 minutes, than preaching
without the anointing can do in 5 years.

2016/3/18 18:36Profile

Re: Is the call of preaching more important in Kingdom work than the private call to

You mused:

Quote:
. Is the public call to ministry more important than a private call to prayer?

examine the post 1904 Welsh revival life of Evan Roberts, which was mainly engaged in secret prayer, and in the Economy of God, can the question of "more important" be applicable?

or, assuming you read "The Life of Brainerd", Brainerd engaged in DAYS of secret prayer in the most dire physical conditions, his ill health(TB) poor food, loneliness, harsh weather, and yet, in the Grace of God, VIA an interpreter, David preached the Word to the Crossweeksung Indians, maybe 300 souls, and God came down in revival.

does the question, "more important" apply?

or was the fact, that David was in his last six months, dying of TB, received into the house of Jonathan Edwards, who appealed to David, to upon his death, to let Edwards publish his private journals and diaries, which David DID NOT intend for public consumption, yet heard the Godly wisdom of Edwards and consented. and to this day, from 1749, "The Life of Brainerd" has never been out of print, and has most definitely, powerfully influenced innumerable men and women of God to follow Jesus with ardency.....so THEN , if we are to parse the "more important" question, then is Jonathan Edwards "more important"?

Wait, it was Jonathan Edwards 16 year old daughter Jerusha, who nursed and cared for a dying 29 year old David Brainerd....and SHE contracted his TB, and six months after David's going to be with the Lord, Jerusha joined him, so the question "more important"? is veiled.

Consider the 12 disciples, standing around fussing about "who is the greatest"....what did Jesus do? Placed a small child among them and said, "unless you become like this child"........well, you know the rest.

You see, when we even indulge in the "more important", in relation to the Body, there's a subtle implication of "more than/less than", which has been the bane of the Body, it certainly highlights the darkness of the roman institution, where "papa" is so blasphemously referred to the "vicar of Christ"...oh, "papa" is definitely "more important", than any of the poor souls trapped in that abominable institution, called the "roman catholic church", and the "protestant church" (with its hundreds of denominations) isn't too far behind.

the "pastor" becomes the "more important", because in the by the numbers ecclesiology of the "protestant churches", he is put on a PLATFORM, (just like rome)...a PULPIT....which is ABOVE, in physical height, OVER the assembled saints, who passively listen to his "message".....considering all this, has the "protestant church" REALLY left rome?...or just become "rome-lite"?

Man, in this deceitfulness and sickness of our hearts, with a "more than/less than" innate outlook, brought INTO any assembly carries with it, the stench of PRIDE, and pride has no place, when the Blood bought saints, who follow Messiah Jesus gather.

so lovingly, I implore, consider your very question.

Its your personal intimate Call, Calling from God the Holy Spirit that is the "more important", rather than the actual ministry, or station, you are called to.....because ecclesiastical pride, is a terrible thing to behold, and has shipwrecked many.

much love brother Blaine, neil

2016/3/18 18:47

Brother Mike

Quote:
The Holy Spirit can do more through
men in 5 minutes, than preaching
without the anointing can do in 5 years.

amen, dear man of God, neil

2016/3/18 18:52
TMK

NC, USA

Re: Brother Mike

I agree that the question is not appropriate. It is more important to pray than anything else if that is what God calls you to do. God does not rank callings in order of importance. However, Jesus seemed to stress the secret place, not oration. Paul spoke against such "comparison" thinking in his discourse about the body of Christ.

Apart from great preachers being men of prayer first, think of all the intercession on their behalf that empowers them.

2016/3/18 19:03Profile
AbideinHim

Louisiana

There has never been a major revival
or awakening in the world without the
ministry of prayer.

Jesus taught us how to pray. "Thy Kingdom
come, Thy will be done, on earth as it is
in heaven."

Prayer and intercession is the main means
that the Kingdom is advanced on the earth.

2016/3/18 21:17Profile
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Re:

"Watchman Nee attributes the recovery of the truth concerning God's kingdom to Evan Roberts. He recounts, "Evan Roberts was sick for a long time. Later he began to realize the truth concerning the kingdom….Before him, there were people who had spoken about the truth of the kingdom, but the reality was not there" (Resumption, 233).

During this period Roberts also exercised a personal prayer ministry. During these hidden years, his major occupation was worldwide intercession. Brother Nee writes, "His prayers were profound. Later he did not engage in any public work for seven or eight years. When a brother met him, the brother asked, 'What have you been doing all these years?' He answered with one short sentence, 'I have been praying the prayer of the kingdom'" (Collected Works, 22:167). Only eternity will reveal the value of this prayer ministry. "

2016/3/18 21:25Profile

Re:

While I agree that prayer is vital, so is the preaching of the Gospel (in conjunction).

How can they hear unless someone preaches & is sent?

Prayer is not a "calling". It's an inherent understood necessity for all believers. Intercession can be a ministry/calling, but we should all be about intercession to a degree too. We should all be ready to preach the Gospel & give a defense for the hope within us. The Gospel is the power of God unto salvation for all who believe.

So again, the original question is the wrong question really, cause it's not either/or, but both. Not all will preach "publicly", but some will. All should be preaching & witnessing to those God has put in their sphere. All should be praying too.

I think it was Spurgeon who said "first talk tozGod about men before you talk to men about God".

2016/3/18 21:29

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy