SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Movie Review - Risen

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

Movie Review - Risen

Just another viewpoint and I have appreciated all comments about Risen, the film.
I saw it yesterday in one of those luxury theaters where you literally sit in a lazy boy type chair and a designated seat! The lure away from Netflix I suppose!
Anyway, Tim said it was not violent as far as violence goes. What have you been watching??
The violence was graphically horrendous and the stench of death was the only thing missing, but though I flinched and gasped I knew even this was not close to the real thing. However I appreciate when reality decimates pretty biblical imaginations and pleasant pictures of Jesus death and death in general. And I agree with some of you who saw a different angle as experienced through a godless violent Roman soldier who deep down is sick of death violence and hopes for peace somewhere.
And like all who believe in the Risen Christ he finds it.

I was very surprised that it moved me and had some real insights that we don't often ponder, particularly, that persecution always comes in one form or another when you are saved by our Lord. Worth seeing. Not for children because of mature theme and violence.
Leslie

2016/3/2 10:28

Re: Movie Review

Oops, I thought I posted this on maryjane's post on Risen which has so many good comments. In the Forum under General Topics. Didn't mean to start a new thread.
Sorry,
L

2016/3/2 10:36
dolfan

Tennessee, but my home's in Alabama

Re: Movie Review - Risen

Leslie, my apologies if I mislead in any way. My opinion was only that. I've seen enough violence in TV shows that was just gratuitous, and movies even more so, over the years. Risen just didn't seem nearly as violent in that aspect as most crime shows and action shows and what-not now. The ratings explanation for its PG-13 rating warned of "Biblical violence" (they get so specific in those explanations now). I thought it was tame for "Biblical violence", way tamer than "The Passion of the Christ". It was almost cartoonishly tame compared to that movie, IMO.

2016/3/2 12:59Profile

Re: Movie Review - Risen

Leslie I too saw the movie and a luxury theater. Matter of fact I almost dozed. But did manage to wake myself up to see the movie. I would agree there was violence in the movie. But not so that it does not detract from the theme that a non believing Roman soldier was seeking peace.

I too would agree it is worth seeing. But not taking little children to see.

Dear sister simply my thoughts.

Blaine

2016/3/2 14:11
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

When I saw The Passion in the theater(filled with Christians it appeared) there was a boy about age 8 who was sobbing during the really violent scenes- the horror of it. His parents did not remove him, which I thought was exceedingly unwise and unkind. I don't think I can watch it again- I have seen it twice and that is enough to be getting on with.

2016/3/2 17:30Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy