SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Morning Habits of Godly Men/Women

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
dougr777

Morning Habits of Godly Men/Women

Are there any books written on the lives of Godly men and their morning routines (habits)? Thanks, Doug

2016/2/26 13:57Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re: Morning Habits of Godly Men/Women

I have a sermon compilation where Leonard ravenhill says that John Wesley told a gentleman that he was dining with that he had to get home early because he had an appointment at 4:00am. The man said "at 4:00am?" And Wesley said "every day of my life." And the man asked "with who?" And Wesley said "with God."

Getting up very early is a common thing I have heard about great men of God, including our Lord.

2016/2/26 15:53Profile
dougr777

Re:

I would love to hear that!

2016/2/26 15:54Profile

Re:

I find there something intimate in communing with the Lord in the early hours of the morning. Particularly before the sun comes up. The distractions of the day have not come in. It is a lot easier to hear from Jesus and to pray.

I know we can pray to the Lord at any time and in any place. But truly there is something special about the morning time with the Lord Jesus.

2016/2/26 16:45

Re:

Yorrie Richards was asked about his devotional time at the Welsh Revival conference at question time, he gave a wonderful spirit filled answer. Maybe Greg can find the video clip and throw it up for us to see? ..............bro Frank

2016/2/26 18:04
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Jesus:

And rising very early in the morning, while it was still dark, he departed and went out to a desolate place, and there he prayed. ( Mark 1:35)

2016/2/26 18:36Profile

Re: oh Mike!!!

you got there before me!!! one of my most Precious Verses buried in my heart, much love, neil

2016/2/26 21:17
Yeshuasboy

Northern Rockies, BC, Canada

Yes, one of my favorite authors of whom has been a helpful guide on my journey to the celestial city is William Law - mentor to John Wesley, and also a favorite author of Andrew Murray (of whom is a favorite author of Keith Daniel).

The book I have in mind is titled, "A Serious Call To A Devout And Holy Life" available here to read for free:

http://www.ccel.org/ccel/law/serious_call.i.html

Andrew Murray also edited a few of his books he found helpful to himself - I bought it a few years back through Amazon - it is comprised of 3 of Law's books - A Serious Call..., The Spirit Of Love, and The Spirit Of Prayer - it is a copywritten edition done by BiblioLife, in where Murray selects excerpts out of the 3 books and compacts them into 1, while also writing an Intro to it. However, The Spirit of Love, and the Spirit of Prayer, are also available to read for free at the blessed www.ccel.org website in their full entirety.

I would suggest these books are to be not just read, but chewed on and then digested, that the truths contained therein go down deep.

The Spirit instruct you on the Way. "Be filled with the Spirit", to God be the glory. The Lord Christ Jesus bless you.

2016/2/27 1:33Profile
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Re:

"I find there something intimate in communing with the Lord in the early hours of the morning. Particularly before the sun comes up. The distractions of the day have not come in. It is a lot easier to hear from Jesus and to pray. "

To rise early to pray is giving the Lord the
first part of the day. It is quite with no
distractions, and I like to get still before the
Lord with a cup of coffee, and not so much
ask Him for anything, but to come into
His presence with praise and thanksgiving
through the blood of Jesus, asking the
Lord to lead me by His Spirit to pray what
is on His heart. The Lord does indeed want
to meet all of our needs, and it pleases Him
when it is in our heart to draw near to Him.
As I drive to work, I will often put some good
praise and worship music on in the car.
This actually sets the course for the whole
day, and I can get much more accomplished
by being energized by prayer than by getting
an extra 30 minutes of sleep.

2016/2/27 8:58Profile
TrueWitness

Here is George Mueller's way of starting each day:

http://www.foundationsforfreedom.net/Topics/Devotions/Devotions020.html

2016/2/27 12:50Profile