SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : How has your understanding of God's sovereignty / human responsibility shaped your life?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
JFW

Dothan, Alabama

Re:

Quote : "I wanted to add separately that this is the main question in the matter of FAITH: do we TRUST God to be Who he says He is? Do we even know Who He is?"

Yes sister! Indeed it is a matter of faith, and everyone acts in faith with regards to that which they believe- it is an unavoidable fact of life wether it's faith in God by believing on Jesus Christ or faith in doctors believing they can help or faith in drugs believing they can bring relief or faith in money believing it can bring happiness, etc....
Faith always follows belief. That why James says "you say you have faith, but I show you mine through works, faith without works is dead". It matters little what people say if their actions don't line up. Hence the line "your actions speak so loudly I can't hear a word you say".
I believe this is why the scripture says we are saved by grace and not by works,... But it also states we will be judged by our works~

2016/2/11 21:38Profile

Re:

Jas 2:23 And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God.

Jas 2:24 Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only.

At first glance this verse seems directly opposed to Romans 3:28; "Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law."

However, we realize that Paul is speaking of legal works that precede salvation, and they cannot be made a ground and basis for salvation.

James is always thinking of works produced by one trusting and obeying Christ—being born again ... a necessary consequence and outworking of REAL faith.

Abraham's faith made him willing to offer his son on the altar.

Rahab's faith, as we read in the next verse, made her willing to hide the spies—forsaking her own land and people.

"Ye see then how ..." James is saying, as it were, "Does not this illustration of Abraham's faith producing works prove to you that a man is justified by works and not by faith only?"

He is appealing to man's own reasoning powers.

Declared righteous
Young's Literal Translation of this verse: "Ye see then, that out of works is a man declared righteous, and not out of faith only." You will notice it says "declared righteous," not "made righteous." A man is righteous in God's sight when he trusts in and obeys the Lord, and is born again. God does not need to see the fruit of faith to know there is faith (like the thief on the cross), but we do and you do too! That is why the Scriptures tell us the following:

2Co_13:5 Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?

We cannot declare one righteous until we see the fruit of his faith. (Just like you declare Abraham is righteous. You see the fruit of his faith). We can only tell one is a Christian by what he does. So James is not contradicting Paul, but complementing him.

Paul is fearful of dead works without a living faith.
James is fearful of a dead faith that produces no good works.

If no works are produced, faith is a mere dead thing, good for nothing. One who produces no good works proves he has not received the Lord Jesus and obeyed Him, and should not be declared righteous by man.

2016/2/12 4:09
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

By whose works am I justified? Only by the labor of Him that is in me is Justification of which God has made Him my labor of which any glory of justification be made by Him that works in me mightily. These works worked out by me are the essence of all my faith unto good works which are His in me and not me outside of His works in me.

Abraham knew by faith that God had given him the "believed God",for him to put the knife to his sons throat would bring a greater glory to the whole world than just the death of his son. That is the kind of faith wrought in Abraham that brought forth him being justified by the works God had already ordained for him. To this day we see Christ in Abrahams son as being all that God shows what Christ would be to His Body The Church and One with His Father and what God the Father would be willing to do even to His only Son to Justify salvation and glory by His resurrection for Jesus to show the Fathers conforming us to the same, Christ in you, with the abode of the Father and the Holy Spirit in us and sealed and unto sons of God for the many.

Colossians 1:27-29 To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory: Whom we preach, warning every man, and teaching every man in all wisdom; that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus: Whereunto I also labour, striving according to his working, which worketh in me mightily.

1 Corinthians 1:26-31 For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called: But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty; And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are: That no flesh should glory in his presence. But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption: That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord.

By The works of the Father He has made His Son to be our wisdom, righteousness, sanctification and redemption, This is our Glory, "Christ in you", He is my faith and labor unto His mighty works that worketh good works in me that faith shows forth to the world.

In Christ by the faith of the Son of God: Galatians 2:20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

Phillip

2016/2/13 14:53Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy