SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Dumb Question regarding American Politics

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
TMK

NC, USA

Dumb Question regarding American Politics

I have a dumb question. I am not trying to start a huge fight so no stone throwing.

Why do Christians insist that the President of the US be Christian?

If I need a dr very badly, I would not choose a Christian dr over a far more qualified Jewish dr. The same would go for choosing someone to repair my car, paint my house, etc.

So why do Christians make being an evangelical Christian a main requirement when they vote for president, or why do they choose to sit out when no evangelicals are running?

Is it just barely possible that the most qualified candidate might not be evangelical?

Now, I understand that there are issues like abortion that drive some of this, but taking that issue out why do Christians feel they have to have an evangelical or nothing?

2016/2/3 15:57Profile
dolfan

Tennessee, but my home's in Alabama

Re: Dumb Questin regarding American Politics

If it helps, I wouldn't even vote for an evangelical. In fact I don't see how you can be elected to much more than dog catcher and be a Christian.

2016/2/3 16:27Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

I'd happily vote for an evangelical if I thought he was qualified.

There has been a lot of talk on social media about "the lesser of two evils."

Many Christians, if faced with such a choice, say they would refuse to vote and thereby potentially let the greater of the two evils in. That may have happened in the last election.

I don't understand that line of reasoning. I think there may be a lot of situations in life where we may have to choose the lesser of two evils. Sometimes we may HAVE to make such a choice and not be able to simply abstain.

2016/2/3 18:11Profile

Re:TMK

BrotherJesus said my kingdom is not of this world. The New Testament commands me to pray for those in authority. The New Trstament commands me to obey Caesar provided those laws are not in conflict with the gosprl. The New Testament does not command me to vote or engage in the political process.

I agree with my Anabaptist brethren in the above view.

Blaine

2016/2/3 18:43

Re:

2016/2/3 18:43
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Uhh.. Don't think they had voting back then.

Which is better- a system where you become ruler because your dad was; or because you are the most brutal; or where people actually have a say in who will lead?

God is not against governments.

2016/2/3 20:31Profile

Re:

2016/2/3 21:20
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re: Dumb Question regarding American Politics

To me. the biggest mistake the Republican Party EVER made was allowing the evangelicals to take it over.

Being any one religion should be secondary to their qualifications. my 2 cents!!! :)

2016/2/3 22:41Profile
savannah

Re: Dumb Question regarding American Politics

TMK asks, "Why do Christians insist that the President of the US be Christian?"

As Christians we desire that all nations(not only the US) have leaders/rulers who love, obey and fear God. Why would we want anything less!

Righteousness exalteth a nation: but sin is a reproach to any people. Proverbs 14:34

When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice: but when the wicked beareth rule, the people mourn. Proverbs 29:2

You are to choose capable men from among the people, men who fear God, men of truth who hate dishonest gain. You are to set these men over them as rulers over thousands, hundreds,fifties, and tens. Exodus 18:21

The Spirit of the LORD spoke by me, and his word was on my tongue.
The God of Israel said, the Rock of Israel spoke to me, He that ruleth over men must be just, ruling in the fear of God. 2 Samuel 23:2,3

And you, Ezra, in accordance with the wisdom given to you by your God, are to appoint magistrates and judges to administer justice to all the people beyond the Euphratesm River. All of them are to know the laws of your God, and you are to instruct those who do not know them. Whoever refuses to practice the law of your God and the law of the king is to see judgment executed quickly, whether to death, banishment, confiscation of goods, or imprisonment. Ezra 7:25,26

God's Word above is reason enough to desire that the government of a nation be led by men who follow these principles and reflect such character.

2016/2/4 7:04Profile
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Re:

No government is lawful or innocent that does not recognize the moral law as the only universal law, and God as the Supreme Lawgiver and Judge, to whom nations in their national capacity, as well as individuals, are amenable. (Charles Finney)

No man can possibly be benevolent or religious, to the full extent of his obligations, without concerning himself, to a greater or less extent, with the affairs of human government.
Author: Charles Finney

I believe that it is a cop out, irresponsible,
and a lack of stewardship to not vote for
the candidate in any election that is most
in line with God's righteousness and justice
in the affairs of this life.

2016/2/4 13:52Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy