SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Religious Right to boycott Microsoft over support for gay rights

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Religious Right to boycott Microsoft over support for gay rights

[img]https://www.sermonindex.net/images/forum/2004/may/featured_news.gif[/img]

Microsoft is being threatened with organised boycotts by the religious Right after twice reversing its policy on homosexual rights legislation in recent weeks.

Buckling under pressure from rival powerful interest groups, the software giant - which offers generous domestic partner rights for gay employees - performed an embarrassing U-turn over a bill in its home state of Washington that would outlaw discrimination against homosexuals at work.

Last month, shortly before a vote in Olympia, the state capital, it withdrew its backing for the bill after intense lobbying by an evangelical preacher, Ken Hutcherson, a former American football professional who runs one of Washington State's biggest churches. "I told them I was going to give them something to be afraid of Christians about," the Rev Hutcherson said.

Yet Microsoft's change of heart prompted outrage from gay and liberal activists, and criticism from its staff and other big businesses, including Nike and Boeing, who backed the legislation.

2005/5/15 21:34Profile

Re: Religious Right to boycott Microsoft over support for gay rights

Is everyone who is in power gay? Why is the West so bent on pushing homosexuality in peoples faces. What is the real agenda? Do heterosexuals have parades every year so they can flaunt what they do behind closed doors? Why is it so important for us to know what they do? Why is it that a minority of people are pushing it's agenda in the majorities schools? What next, pedophilia being ok and protected by law?

2005/5/15 23:05
Compton

Re:

Apple. (Stronger, faster, better.)

There, I said it.:-P

MC

2005/5/16 4:02Profile
taco

Re: Religious Right to boycott Microsoft over support for gay rights

Quote:
"I told them I was going to give them something to be afraid of Christians about," the Rev Hutcherson said.

What a shame.

We should seek:

That the power of the Holy Spirit would strike fear into the hearts of the ungodly.

That the truth would callenge darkness.

But that we should resort to this sort of thing to make our point is a shame.

2005/5/16 4:43Profile
roadsign

Re: fighting the "enemy" with the sword

Quote:
"I told them I was going to give them something to be afraid of Christians about," the Rev Hutcherson said

Maybe I am misunderstanding, but to me it seems that Rev. Ken's intimidating power posturing attempts are as pitiful as that of the disciple, Peter, who attempted to cut off the soldier's ear. There is no divine power in it because is of the flesh. Intimidation merely builds walls of hostility, self-protection, self-vindication, and self-justification.

Another thought:
Jesus said "Put your sword back... for all who draw the sword will DIE by the sword." Matt. 26:52 We cannot usher in the kindgom of God with the vices of our own natural brute force. The same brute force will come back against us. Jesus' words should strike FEAR in all Christians who mess with power posturing in order to subdue the "enemy".
Quote:
That the power of the Holy Spirit would strike fear into the hearts of the ungodly.

"For we are not struggling against people made with flesh and blood.... "(see Eph. 6)

PS Shouldn't Rev. Ken at least keep consistant with his beliefs and also speak against all the adulterers - and all sinners for that matter? It wouldn't be right to pick on one group, and overlook all the others, including themselves. Didn't the Pharisees do that?
Please correct me if I'm misunderstanding things.
Diane

2005/5/21 14:32Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy