SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Sinners in the hands-an expose of the " Church," of Wells

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread

Sinners in the hands-an expose of the " Church," of Wells

Her parents were eventually able to establish a rough sketch of what had happened. In early 2010, while attending a Bible-translating conference in Duncanville, Catherine had met a traveling evangelist who told her about a small, nondenominational New Testament church, led by three young street preachers, that its members considered to be the only church in America practicing true biblical Christianity. A year later, in 2011, not long after her grandfather’s death, she had begun communicating over email and on Skype with members of the church, which had started calling itself the Church of Arlington. During the next two years she had gradually been persuaded to come and join the church herself.

- See more at: http://www.texasmonthly.com/articles/sinners-in-the-hands/#sthash.MFdAnedi.dpuf

http://www.texasmonthly.com/articles/sinners-in-the-hands/

2016/1/25 12:21

Re: Sinners in the hands-an expose of the " Church," of Wells

My brother Frank,
God bless you for posting this...I have been watching this tragic....dare I say "witness" for some time, and have not posted about it.....not out cowardice, but just that it rips my heart to shreds EVERY SINGLE TIME, I read about yet another "dark hole" a soul falls into, that MAN has "built", in the Name of Jesus.

as this is not yet another "secularist", salivating, just waiting to take a shot at the Body of Christ, because I will link you to a forum, where townsfolk in Wells write of what is happening on the ground:

http://faith.boardhost.com/index.php

have these men no Fear of God?.....or they insane, or mentally ill, or WORSE?

i'm praying for ONE church in my rural area to configure a once or twice prayer meeting, and lament, that no matter how much I urge various pastors to this divine ministry....we have none, at least, Thank You Lord, we don't have a "church of wells", a black hole.

Father, not my will, Your Will be done, on earth, as it is in Heaven, amen...neil

2016/1/25 15:08

Re:

http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/video/church-wells-tracking-controversial-religious-group-23210454

2016/1/25 18:37
elected

Tulsa OK

Re:

I read the article and did research about this new group.I would not say that they are an emerging cult because even though they seem to be radical and overzealous in their faith, they are sound as far as their statement of faith as much as a methodist would have been in the 18th century.

They promote in their websites godly preaching like Leonard Ravenhill and also historically they promote men of God like Jonathan Edwards, George Whitefield, John Wesley, Charles Surgeon etc.

I read that some church members of this group denounced Joel Osteen ministry in his own church in Lakewood for his prosperity gospel. It seems like they are straightforward in their methods of denouncing false prophets. Also they are radical in their discipleship methods, encouraging young people to forsake the world and their families and join them who they believe are part of the true remnant of God.

Some of the young people from this church left everything and joined this group, these alarmed the parents and the article posted tells about the story of this young woman and the struggle of her parents to get her back. I read somewhere else that this young woman went back home but after a short time joined the group again.

They are a radical movement for sure and I don't have enough knowledge and I don't know enough about them to come to a better conclusion. Media already has branded them as a cult but we need facts and not just opinion of media or some other Christians to come to a biblical conclusion and judge with discernment.

Anabaptist were considered as heretics by Lutherans and Calvinists but history shows that many of them were true disciples of Jesus Christ.I'm not hear to defend this new christian group, I don't know them I heard of them for the first time today but before we join the wagon with the rest and brand them as a cult, I would advice a research about them and reading about both sides of the story.

What I noticed is that they call themselves as The Church in any town they established themselves. Now this practise is not new. Witness Lee who was a co-worker with Watchman Nee named the same way his local churches in American and I don't agree with the teaching of Lee, just mentioning this fact because it seems to me The Church of Wells have the same tendency as far as naming their local churches.

These are my observations so far.

Blessings,

2016/1/25 19:31Profile

Re:

HI Redi, SI has denounced them as a cult. Paul Washer's group have too and Ravenhill's biographist has demanded they remove Ravenshill's material from their websight. They claim that only they are saved and do not accept that anyone apart from them are saved..............bro Frank

2016/1/25 19:45
elected

Tulsa OK

Re:

Brother I understand that SI and Paul Washer group have denounced them as a a cult and I respect the ministry of SI and we know that Paul Washer is a man of God who has the anointing of God in his ministry. All that said the only think that can convince me are facts, the truth and Word of God before I come to a conclusion that I believe is right.

The controversial christian group we are talking about have some characteristic of a cult like they have withdrawn from the world and want to live seclusive lives in their own community but unlike any cult they are sound on the fundamentals of faith. You said that they believe they are the only one saved, I didn't find anything on their website that claims they are the only one saved or the only one chosen by God. Its a contradiction in itself since they hold on high esteem ministry of Paul Washer and they say that many members from their church were saved through his ministry.

They are very radical in what they believe but I haven't seen yet a cult that is so zealous about observing the sermon on the mount and believing Jesus as Lord and Savior and preaching the cross and salvation by grace.

I'm not hear to take the part of any side, so far I have seen a very zealous group of young men who have taken to heart to obey the terms of discipleship and in their effort and zeal of doing so they sometimes make the mistake of judging others not in love or offending parents because their children left everything to join this group.

2016/1/25 21:16Profile

Re:

HI Elected, you say you respect the ministry of SI and Paul Washer and so on, but you seem to have little problem ignoring their clear warnings and at the same time accepting this group on face value. Do you believe that SI or Paul Washer simply chose to condemn them for no particular purpose? Serious question.

Elected, can you tell us if you are connected in any way to this group?

When someone joins their group, they are no longer allowed to speak freely to their parents. Many parents of the young people in that group have never seen their grandchildren. You can read the testimonies of these parents.

Bottom line with this group, they accept no other group at all as Christians, only their group, there are ninety of them. This is classic cultish behaviour. If you leave the group, they claim you will lose your salvation, again, the most classic aspect of any cult. The world at large is seen as hostile and must be avoided at all costs, especially families. How are these families to be won for Christ, if indeed that is the case, if they cut of all connections with them?...................bro Frank

2016/1/25 22:19
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re:

Thought I'd share the link to this thread from a while back dealing with this group as it has some info that may be helpful:

https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=51607&forum=35

2016/1/25 22:57Profile

Re:

elected wrote: "All that said the only think that can convince me are facts, the truth and Word of God before I come to a conclusion that I believe is right. -
but before we join the wagon with the rest and brand them as a cult, I would advice a research about them and reading about both sides of the story. "

These are fair comments and i have to admit that I haven't fully researched that group myself.I only briefly read what believers posted on this thread but that is enough to be VERY concerned

A few quotes from the linked article :
"Also they are radical in their discipleship methods, encouraging young people to forsake the world and their families and join them who they believe are part of the true remnant of God. "
They are encouraging young people to forsake the world and their families - AND JOIN THEM - very dangerous and where is Jesus in all this?

"Catherine gave all her belongings to Goodwill and disappeared without a word. Her parents had no clue where she had gone. "
This is not the fruit of the Spirit, we still need to love our parents.
“I’m in Wells, Texas, with a group of people who are taking good care of me,”
She said that PEOPLE are taking good care of her, the Bible says that God will meet all our needs, not people.
“But I can’t listen to you anymore, I can only listen to my elders. "this is also cult-like.

Where is Jesus in all this? He does not get any Glory here.

The Apostle Paul was also "radical " but he always pointed people to Christ and he was willing to loose everything - To Gain Christ !(Phil.3)
The Moraviens forsook everything because they wanted that The Lamb that was slain should receive the full reward for His suffering.

There are many clues that make me believe that there is a counterfeit spirit in this "church" . Beware !

2016/1/26 0:32

dear elected

(what I respond to you, I do with a soft voice)

you wrote:

"The controversial christian group we are talking about have some characteristic of a cult like they have withdrawn from the world and want to live seclusive lives in their own community but unlike any cult they are sound on the fundamentals of faith."

I wont belabor or question the usage of the word "controversial", nor the " sound(ness) on the fundamentals of faith." you they write they possess, but as far them wishing to "and want to live seclusive lives in their own community "...watch this 4 minute nightmare as "deacon" of this church from the roof an adjoining building, harangues a dear man, his wife and child.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9H2TsL7nr64

is that "seclusive"?...or good fruit?..a healthy witness?...or banish the thought, Jesus love?

2016/1/26 3:38

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy