SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : "Unlocking the Mysteries of Genesis"

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
JFW

Dothan, Alabama

Re:

Brother Travis,

Thanks for your attention to this, as it has been a loose thread for me for some time now (35yrs)...

Having said this, why would you say that these children were not only not recorded in detail as Cain, Abel, Seth, etc.... but not mentioned in the slightest way so as to even suggest that they could've been descendants of A&E? This is strange no?
I've looked and haven't found another example of this type of omission in scripture, (not saying it's not there just that I haven't found a parallel) and that leads me to rethink how I approach this topic, careful not to be presumptuous. So when I make the assertion that they weren't the descendants of A&E it is after years of deliberation and while I readily confess that I do not know for sure, this is the honest conclusion I've come to.
I mean the narrative presented seems to suggest the genealogy was/is of some importance much like the genealogical record in Matthew, and these "land of Nod" people's are (for me) an anomaly but could be some sort of Neanderthal of sorts... Again I don't know the answers but def have some questions-

2016/1/21 22:38Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re:

Fletcher:

Gen. 5:4 And the days of Adam after he had begotten Seth were eight hundred years: and he begat sons and daughters.

Gen. 5:7 And Seth lived after he begat Enos eight hundred and seven years and begat sons and daughters.

ETC.

I would say the reason is that these other sons and daughters do not play a significant role in the history of the Bible. Noah descended directly from Seth, so Seth is critical to the narrative, but his other brothers and sisters would not be critical to the narrative leading up to the destruction of the earth by flood.

And, we have no idea how many children there were. We just have Jewish tradition, which may or may not be accurate. What I think we can safely assume is that they had quite a few children.

Interestingly enough, I just saw a news story about a couple who are celebrating their 68th wedding anniversary. They are celebrating the birth of their 100th grandchild, a great-great grandchild. I think they might have had 11 children of their own. If Adam and Eve had 60 children...Wow! there could have been a whole lot of descendants in a very short amount of time.

2016/1/22 15:26Profile
docs

Re: For twayneb

//The widespread acceptance and adherence, doggedly, to Darwinism is, I think, not so much because the theory is tenable or defensible, but rather because it is the only theory out there that is somewhat plausible to the human mind that is NOT Biblical. The evolutionist cannot accept that the Bible could be true, so he latches onto what is in his own mind the next best thing.

I believe what you say is likely true twayneb. Highly likely. It's a self shearing act to bow one's self and one's own "knowledge" and acknoweldge the Bible is true. It's to God's glory that the thing He resists the most is pride, He deliberately hides Himself from it, and in His wisdom He has seen to it that we can't preceive and acknoweldge him from our own understanding coming from our own supposed wisdom and knowledge. I hope that makes sense.

2016/1/23 13:45Profile
docs

Anybody got any ideas?

Does anybody have any ideas how God has always been self-existent and NEVER had a beginning. He always has been. That's NOT POSSIBLE but yet is a fact based on the true reality of His eternal existence. I'm not trying to speak blasphemy or doubt yet it's so highly wondrous one wonders where to begin to even contemplate it. He never had a beginning and has never grown/evolved in knowledge or wisdom or power. What He is He has always been. How can His eternal existence be a fact since these things are said to not be possible. I have faith that it is but it a real bona fide mystery above all others. On the day that we know face to face even as we are now known will it be understandable to us at that point?

Why has God chosen to remain invisible? When He walked in the garden with the first man and woman was He visible then and only became invisible after the fall? What purpose does His invisibility serve now?

2016/1/23 13:54Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re: Anybody got any ideas?

David: Actually, the Bible never says that Adam and Eve either saw God or walked with Him in the Garden. It says in Gen. 3:8 that they simply heard the voice of the Lord walking in the Garden. That being said, God has never became invisible in the sense of Him being silent. I have heard Him speak things to my spirit and to my mind very clearly by His Holy Spirit. In fact, for a believer that should be commonplace.

I teach Mathematics and I am often reminded of a little dimensional concept. How would a one dimensional being in a two dimensional world be able to comprehend a three dimensional object? I think we are a bit like that. We are bound by time, with a beginning and an end. It is all we know. We cannot even fathom anything else with anything like real understanding. We only get a glimpse and that seems to us a bit fanciful. We see through a glass darkly...but then face to face. It is a bit like the mouse in the maze trying to imagine that there is a world outside of the maze that follows very different rules.

2016/1/25 11:23Profile
JFW

Dothan, Alabama

Re:

Ha!
Brother Travis,
Have you ever seen "dr quantum- flatland"?
It is a great lil illustration of exactly what you described- maybe a 4min video.
Def seemed to parallel my experience with the Lord.

2016/1/25 11:52Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re:

No brother. I will have to look that one up.

2016/1/25 13:55Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

The original "Flatland" story is fascinating.

2016/1/25 14:05Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Hi twayneb,

That is fascinating! I agree that this most interesting thing is that man tries to understand the "science" of God when He is not confined to a dimension at all -- because Eternity is non-dimensional (cannot be measured). Rather, we can only know Him. We can have a relationship with Him through prayer and the Word of God.

Of course, this doesn't mean that we cannot pursue knowledge of this world and the dimension to which we are confined. We can learn the rules (e.g., math, physics, etc.) of this realm and still know that God is not confined to those rules.

I think that one of the funny (if I dare call it that) things in Revelation is that God will defy the laws of this universe. He will make a third of the stars "cast to the earth." IF this is literally referring to stars in the heavens, then this will certainly confuse those who are alive at that time to see it!

It is an amazing thing to think of such things. How I wish that we could see His face! At least we have this hope -- the knowledge that we will one day see Him face to face! Time will mean nothing when we see His face for the first time.

2016/1/28 1:51Profile
docs

For twayneb

David: Actually, the Bible never says that Adam and Eve either saw God or walked with Him in the Garden. It says in Gen. 3:8 that they simply heard the voice of the Lord walking in the Garden. That being said, God has never became invisible in the sense of Him being silent. I have heard Him speak things to my spirit and to my mind very clearly by His Holy Spirit. In fact, for a believer that should be commonplace.

I teach Mathematics and I am often reminded of a little dimensional concept. How would a one dimensional being in a two dimensional world be able to comprehend a three dimensional object? I think we are a bit like that. We are bound by time, with a beginning and an end. It is all we know. We cannot even fathom anything else with anything like real understanding. We only get a glimpse and that seems to us a bit fanciful. We see through a glass darkly...but then face to face. It is a bit like the mouse in the maze trying to imagine that there is a world outside of the maze that follows very different rules.

Doc: That works for me. Those are good thoughts all the way through. Maybe the first man and woman actually saw God along with hearing His voice in the garden but one day we will know.

2016/1/29 9:48Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy