Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
JFW

Dothan, Alabama

Re:

Brother Frank wrote;
" Relationship with Jesus is such a personal one on one thing."
Amen! That's really the meat and marrow of it. We can def influence our children by our example but as its been said before- "no one can do for us what we must do for ourselves".

Interestingly it works the other way as well.... We find King Asa was not a keeper of the worldly practices/idolatry of his day or mother, and while he stumbled a few times the Lord nonetheless looked on his heart and mercifully pronounced Asa loyal and faithful tho it could be argued ortherwise in spite of his "heroic" gestures of taking down the idols from their high places and turning his people to the God of Abraham.

Honestly, I find that repentance and serving the Lord is a quite deliberate action that often,if not always, is obvious to the point of being overt- whereas turning to idolatry/worldliness seems to be a more subtle and while steep in its descent is often times gradual and therefore less noticeable to the participants.
I wonder if in the same way we imagine "how could they doubt when they had pillars of fire and clouds of mist" if we ourselves might be even more "guilty" as we have that which they sought so diligently. I mean with Christ in us, how could we ever really depart into unbelief??!! and yet most of us have known someone (if not ourselves) who at times have failed the grace of God and fallen into unbelief...
I've come to the conclusion (as oxymoronic as it sounds) that holiness is a messy business.

2016/1/8 23:15Profile

Re:

Quote:
by dohzman on 2016/1/8 21:31:20

I see it differently, just think about it, the wilderness journey, they had a cloud by day and a pillar of fire by night. I have often wondered how they could even begin to doubt God when all they had to do was look up by day and look up to see the pillar of fire by night.

We have more than what they had and yet there is much doubt and disobedience as well, today. I sympathize with them just as I sympathize with those that are struggling, today.

2016/1/9 2:21
rookie

Savannah TN

Re: The Inconsistent Kings of Judah

The lives of the kings of Israel is based on whom they choose to obey.

Job 34:22
There is no darkness nor shadow of death
Where the workers of iniquity may hide themselves.

Job 34:23
For He need not further consider a man,
That he should go before God in judgment.

Job 34:24
He breaks in pieces mighty men without inquiry,
And sets others in their place.

Job 34:25
Therefore He knows their works;
He overthrows them in the night,
And they are crushed.

Job 34:26
He strikes them as wicked men
In the open sight of others,

Job 34:27
Because they turned back from Him,
And would not consider any of His ways,

Job 34:28
So that they caused the cry of the poor to come to Him;
For He hears the cry of the afflicted.

Job 34:29
When He gives quietness, who then can make trouble?
And when He hides His face, who then can see Him,
Whether it is against a nation or a man alone?—

Job 34:30
That the hypocrite should not reign,
Lest the people be ensnared.

I believe we really fail to understand the doctrines we profess. We fail to see that we often times, hold to the same beliefs as a deist. That is God created and then sits back and watches from the side lines. Yet what does the Scripture say above? How involved is He in all men's lives? How involved is He in the life of the king?

2016/1/9 8:24Profile

Re:

"I just don't understand what was so attractive about worshipping Baal etc. what were they getting out of it?"

Mostly sex Todd. Sex with temple prostitutes supposedly excited Baal and Ashtaroth to have sex with each other and the results of that would increase your harvest. IN the end it was about depravity and also food on the table. Good harvest equaled prosperity. If you break it all down, things have not changed that much today. People are immoral and seek to be prosperous..............bro Frank

2016/1/9 9:24
brothagary

Re:

I don't like saying amen to this ,,but frank said it and that's really the main reason ,,,,makes you wonder what what liberal Christians and the secular world is worshiping ,,,think about what Baal imbodies today and in the past .....

2016/1/9 10:16Profile

Re:

It is all just a manifestation of worshipping self (though Satan disguises and hides himself). Like Frank said, not much has changed. The majority of men have always been taking the "broad path that leads to destruction". There must be something that attracts them. Of course we all know. It is called instant gratification and the pleasures of sin. The cross has always been onerous to the flesh.

2016/1/9 11:32
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Frank wrote:

"I just don't understand what was so attractive about worshipping Baal etc. what were they getting out of it?"

Mostly sex..."

Aha- I new that was a part of Baal worship but I guess I wasn't thinking of that in reference to the Kings of Judah.

Makes tons of sense.

2016/1/9 14:06Profile
deltadom

Hemel Hempstead

Re:

When looking at our culture after great revivals seeing God bless the culture, it is so easy for people to turn away from someone who is blessing them. This is what I find insane about this culture

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baal_Cycle
Baal was the God of thunder and rain according to ugaritic texts
As being an agricultural climate it is crazy when Elijah commands the rain to stop this is in baals territory to provide that he is a false God

Ancient Canaanites #2
Biblical Archaeology
Dr. Johannes G. Vos
tinysa.com/sermon/42804213634

King James Bible
Exodus
Thou shalt have no other gods before me.

There are so many scriptures that they should have nothing to do with the gods of the land if you understand anything about the Canaanite gods you would not want to have anything to do with them.

Johanna g vos gives some archaeological evidence stating the nature of those gods

What we find is that the memory of the previous generation did not last very long

We find the same in our generation with the welsh revival, Duncan cambells revival yet our culture went light speed into sin , we forget the blessings of God so quickly

2016/1/9 16:17Profile
JFW

Dothan, Alabama

Re:

After reading over the responses, the thing that comes to my mind is the importance of godly counsel- brothers and sisters that will call us out, not yoking us with the law but in the love of Christ and if need be patiently help to restore us to a proper mindset devoid of deception. Perhaps this is why the Kings and rulers have such a hard time with this as its less likely (in my mind) that they would get called out for their indiscretions.

Without this counsel deception is quite deceiving and all of us are subject to it, and while the Lord can and does deal with this directly Himself, He doesn't always seem to as the scriptures brother Jeff posted show that there are times when He hides His face and none can find Him.

Also it seems we all have a tendency to justify/rationalize our own "pet sins" wether it's lust, anger, lasciviousness, etc... I've noticed that this is often a "local" or cultural acceptance and while we're called to live separate from the world in this way often these simple ones are hardest to stand against. Insterestingly people often excuse their own tendencies in others but are quite sensitive/critical to ones they don't practice.

2016/1/9 18:07Profile

Re:

Historically, what has happened after great revivals?

A time of great Satanic onslaught and deception.

I think many times we fail to recognize the hand of the Enemy (God's adversary) in the OT, and even in our own lives after great victories.

It is never, ever a carnal battle.

2016/1/9 18:54

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy