See Opportunities to Serve with SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : The Inconsistent Kings of Judah

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
TMK

NC, USA

The Inconsistent Kings of Judah

2 Chronicles 28:1-4 "Ahaz was twenty years old when he became king, and he reigned in Jerusalem sixteen years. He did not do what was pleasing in the sight of the Lord, as his ancestor David had done. Instead, he followed the example of the kings of Israel. He cast metal images for the worship of Baal. He offered sacrifices in the valley of Ben-Hinnom, even sacrificing his own sons in the fire. In this way, he followed the detestable practices of the pagan nations the Lord had driven from the land ahead of the Israelites. He offered sacrifices and burned incense at the pagan shrines and on the hills and under every green tree. "

Both his father Jotham and grandfather Uzziah did what was right in the Lords sight. My question is where did Ahaz pick up or learn or desire such detestable practices? It is a familiar refrain when reading Kings and Chronicles; a couple of good kings followed by a nasty one.

I guess my question is what attracted these bad kings to the idolatrous practices especially when they saw their fathers blessed for honoring the Lord?

2016/1/8 12:25Profile

Re: The Inconsistent Kings of Judah

If the Lord above gives men direction and lights their path then who darkens the path of men?

It comes down to the heart of men, and whose voice they hearken to. Who encourages men to walk after the spirit? Who tempts them to sow to the flesh? Who is at war with God through men?

Reminds me of true and false shepherds, today. It is all about the heart of man whether they willingly bear the cross and hearken unto God's voice or are drawn away by their lusts, hearkening to the voice of the Adversary.

We see this example in Cain, Aaron's sons, Esau, King Saul, Joab, Saul the Pharisee, Judas, Diotrophes, Ananias and Sapphire, Alexander the copper Smith, etc, etc, etc.

2016/1/8 12:57

Re: The Inconsistent Kings of Judah

It seems that men never change, but we know that their are no grandchildren in the Kingdom of God, only sons and daughters. I can be the Godliest man on the planet but this does not guarantee that my son or my daughter will follow that path. Relationship with Jesus is such a personal one on one thing. It is interesting to me that we hear of none of the Apostles children. To have such Godly fathers one would think that at least one of the Apostles children would rise to some kind of prominence that we could read about. Yet to my knowledge and as someone who has read almost all of the writing from the early church period, I personally have never came across any such thing. Maybe someone else has?..................bro Frank

2016/1/8 13:08

Re:

Great point, Frank.

That is why I mentioned Aaron's sons and we also have the example of Eli's sons. Each and every man decides who they will follow.

John 1:13

Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

2016/1/8 13:18
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

I sure agree it's a heart issue. I was just wondering as a practical standpoint how it could happen. Surely the people would remember the good times under the good kings and the terrible times under the bad kings.

If they grew up in God-honoring households how did they learn about worshiping the Baals etc?

It is true that a child may not follow in his Christian parents footsteps but they generally don't go out and practice the black mass.

2016/1/8 13:20Profile

Re:

"It is true that a child may not follow in his Christian parents footsteps but they generally don't go out and practice the black mass."

In a sense they can do. In the days of the Kings the surrounding world worshiped the Baals and the Ashteroths. If one was to reject the truths of their Fathers back in those days then they would simply follow the ways of the world. We see children of Christians rejecting the truths in which they were raised and following the ways of the world, whatever those ways happen to be............bro Frank

2016/1/8 15:04
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Good point.

2016/1/8 15:21Profile

Re:

Practically speaking? There is always an ungodly "counselor" (person) around who will be happy to teach you anything and lead you straight to hell. If one seeks out sin and rebellion, they will seek out sinners, too.

2016/1/8 16:22
dohzman

Re: Looking at this different

I see it differently, just think about it, the wilderness journey, they had a cloud by day and a pillar of fire by night. I have often wondered how they could even begin to doubt God when all they had to do was look up by day and look up to see the pillar of fire by night. Man hard to not believe a stream of fire flowing from heaven to earth and than to doubt God? I think doubt? Really? but they did, they could never come to the understanding that God had their best interest at heart. The Kings were all given specific command s like wise, things like not to have multiple wives or multiply their horses, they were to stay dependant on God, honestly that is a really hard thing to do and a tough place to be for anyone let alone a earthly king. I think straying starts off by just 1 misstep at a time.

2016/1/8 21:31Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

I just don't understand what was so attractive about worshipping Baal etc. what were they getting out of it?

2016/1/8 22:59Profile

©2002-2021 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy