SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Does God move outside of the written word???

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Hey dohzman-

My question was merely playing devil's advocate. I personally have no doubt that God can and does operate in dreams and visions today.

I know I have had two dreams that I am 100% certain were from the Lord.

2016/1/7 7:45Profile

Re: Can God speak His word on ways other than the printed page?

Acts 17:26-27

And He made from one man every nation of mankind to live on the face of the earth, having determined their appointed times and the boundaries of their habitation, that they might seek God, if perhaps they might group for Him and find Him, thiugh He is not far from each one of us.

Hebrews 11:6

And without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is and that He is a rewarder of those who seek Him.

Brothers thank you for the good posts and a good discussion. Perhaps I should have titled this thread, can God speak His Word in ways other than the printed page? For that is really my question.

The verses above tell us that God has created the heart to seek Him. We see this in the cultures that have different religions. This is an expression of their hearts seeking something higher than themselves. For this is how God has created and wired us. I believe it was Augustine or one of those Church Fathers who said that within each of us is a God shaped vacuum that can only be filled by God, Jesus Himself.

If there are people that are seeking God particularly in other cultures that have no knowledge of the Bible as we do. Is it possible that God will meet the searching heart through a dream or vision that ultimately will direct that person to a fuller expression of Christ himself?

One of our brothers has posted about a missionary who has gone to foreign nations, only to discover that God went before him to prepare the hearts. This is the essence of what I'm asking in this thread.

Thoughtfully posted.

2016/1/7 8:04

Re:

Sadhu Sundar Singh was born in 1889 in Patiala which is in Punjab, India. His family was very religious and raised him up teaching Hinduism and visiting temples regularly. By the age of 7, he had memorized the Bhagvad Gita and by the age of 16, he had mastered the Vedas and also the Quran. Growing up Sunder attended a school conducted by the missionaries for some time but he was not at all interested in the Bible and resented it.

At the age of 14, suddenly his mother passed away. Sunder was very close of his mother. He was shattered by the loss. He was undergoing a major faith crisis in his life. He was looking for peace and truth. He was very confused in his mind and was sad. He even thought about committing suicide. He was never convinced that Jesus and his teachings were completely wrong and so he tore the Bible and would throw stones at preachers.

The Night that Changed Everything
It was a cold night of December in 1903 when he decided he would throw himself under the train, when the train Ludhiana Express passes by his home. That night he prayed several hours. He said, “O God, if there is a God, reveal yourself to me tonight.” The train was about to come early the morning. Suddenly the room filled with a glow. It was not dawn yet and Sunder opened the room and peeped outside. It was sheer darkness. He closed the door and the light grew brighter. While he was watching this he suddenly saw a figure appeared before him and he heard a voice say, “How long will you deny me? I died for you; I have given my life for you.“He saw the man’s hands, pierced by nails. Sunder was astonished he was not at all hoping to see Jesus but some of the traditional gods whom he worshipped. Sunder realized the Jesus is still alive today and he fell down on his knees and prayed to him. He experienced amazing peace and joy in his heart which he has never experienced before. The vision disappeared but the joy and peace lingered in his heart. He was now changed forever.

In 1905, on his birthday, he was baptized in an English church in Shimla. At that time, he decided to become a Christian Sadhu, so that he could dedicate himself to the Lord. As a Sadhu, he wore a yellow robe, lived on the charity of others, abandoned all possessions and maintained celibacy. He was convinced that this was the best way to introduce the Gospel of Jesus Christ to his people since it was the only way which his people were accustomed to. In addition, he also wanted to be free to devote himself to the Lord. His family ostracized him.

He traveled extensively all over India and Ceylon. He visited Malaysia, Japan and China between 1918-1919. He also went to Western Europe, Australia and Israel in between 1920-1922. He preached in many cities; Jerusalem, Lima, Berlin and Amsterdam among others. Despite his growing fame, Sadhu Sundar singh retained a modest nature, desiring only to follow Jesus’ example: to repay evil with kindness and to win over his enemies by love. Towards the end of his life, he had many health issues due to excessive traveling. He wrote many books during these times. Following are list of some of the books he wrote. They were written in Urdu and translated by different authors.

At the masters feet (1922)
Reality and religion (1923)
Search after Reality (1924)
Spiritual Life (1925)
Spiritual World (1926)
Real Life (1927)
With and Without Christ (1928)
Finally in 1929, Sadhu Sundar Singh was on a trip to Tibet with some other traders. He had walked several miles beyond Badrinath on the snowy mountains. The road to Tiber is very steep and difficult mountainous trail. He was on this road and he never returned back. His friends went all the way to search him but never found him. Nobody knows exactly what happened to him.

Sadhu Sundar singh is called the “Apostle with bleeding feet”. He was a Christian monk, and his work and ministry to spread the gospel of Jesus Christ in India and South Asian region is matchless. He represented Christ and Christianity in a Indian form. He was truly a Sadhu, who found his Salvation, only through life, death and resurrection of Jesus Christ, his Guru.

http://www.jeevanmarg.com/testimonies/sadhu-sundar-singh-story-of-christian-sadhu/

Check out more about Sadhu Sundar singh’s life and his work on http://sadhusundarsingh.info/

2016/1/7 9:04
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re:

Todd: Advocating for the Devil???:-)

The answer, IMO, would have to be yes and no. God speaks to many in dreams, visions, etc. He speaks to all of us in our own spirits. Yet nothing he says will ever violate His written word. The written word is the plumbline by which all other revelation is measured.

I am reminded of Paul's admonition to Timothy in 1 Tim. 1:18. He told Timothy to use the prophecies that had been spoken over him to war a good warfare. This warfare was to be waged based on an extra-Biblical revelation, a supernatural word through the gift of prophecy. Yet we also know that Paul admonished Timothy to hold fast to sound doctrine. Knowledge of and adherence to sound doctrine makes possible the proper operation of the gifts of the Spirit which are inherently extra-Biblical.

2016/1/7 9:10Profile
brothagary

Re:

Julius your post is a prime example that sundar ,new about the gospel as he said and it is through that ,that God revealed him self , not through the the darkened mind as Paul speakers about in Romans ,,,,,,

Many people now of the gospel and are resistant toward it ,but God still works through that means and resistance ,,,many people will tell you they resisted the message but the sovrenty burst through their heart when the cryed out ,or come to their wits end .........,it makes gods grace ,or the more gracefull and joy filled ,and praise worthy!!

2016/1/7 9:23Profile
murrcolr

Scotland, UK

Re:

A few years back when I began to practice travail - I decided to travail for an unknown someone in the area around my home.

I practiced this travail for a week Monday through to Friday and on Saturday afternoon a drunk woman came to our door; asking if my wife could do something with her hair.

On letting her in she started to tell us that see had been seeing the face of Christ at night when in her bed. Then she started begging us to pray for her; we agreed and led her in prayer then the power of God came on her.

She came in drunk and looking for peace; she went out with Christ, sober, but full of joy with a new hair cut.

edit - spelling

2016/1/7 11:09Profile
dolfan

Tennessee, but my home's in Alabama

Re:

Colin no fair. You are catching tem AND cleaning them. :)

2016/1/7 11:14Profile

Re: Does God move outside of the written word???

Of course He does. In fact, He tells us in the Word that He does & He will especially "in the last days" (see Joel 2). Now He never speaks or moves CONTRADICTORY to His Word, but sometimes people wrongly understand what is and isn't a contradiction for lack of knowledge. Those who truly say that He doesn't, totally nullify much of the Word itself & reject the prophetic ministry of the Holy Spirit & the gifts. Why would God spend ample chapters in the Word to the Corinthians instructing on these matters if it wasn't going to matter being the "closing of the canon"? As Leonard Ravenhill would say, "that's balderdash!" Cessationism is error which says "Sola Scriptura" & then nullifies & explains away much of the scriptures it says it stands on. Tell it to all the Muslims in the Middle East whom Jesus had come to personally in dreams & visions, have become radically converted, & now live the lie of the cross carrying scriptures of the New Testament.

2016/1/7 19:28

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy