SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Mere Christianity

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
PosterThread
MaryJane

Mere Christianity

Greeting

I am wondering has anyone read Mere Christianity by CS lewis? Any thought on this book you might feel led to share?

God bless
Mj

2016/1/4 0:13Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re: Mere Christianity

I read it as a 1 year old Christian many years ago. I found it helpful, some statements really helped me. What I find helpful about the book is it gives logical arguments for God and the Scriptures. In an age of doubt and uncertainty this can help saints especially seekers or new christians.

a few quotes from the book:

“True humility is not thinking less of yourself; it is thinking of yourself less.”
― C.S. Lewis

“Give me all of you!!! I don’t want so much of your time, so much of your talents and money, and so much of your work. I want YOU!!! ALL OF YOU!! I have not come to torment or frustrate the natural man or woman, but to KILL IT! No half measures will do. I don’t want to only prune a branch here and a branch there; rather I want the whole tree out! Hand it over to me, the whole outfit, all of your desires, all of your wants and wishes and dreams. Turn them ALL over to me, give yourself to me and I will make of you a new self---in my image. Give me yourself and in exchange I will give you Myself. My will, shall become your will. My heart, shall become your heart.”
― C.S. Lewis

“I am trying here to prevent anyone saying the really foolish thing that people often say about Him: I’m ready to accept Jesus as a great moral teacher, but I don’t accept his claim to be God. That is the one thing we must not say. A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher. He would either be a lunatic — on the level with the man who says he is a poached egg — or else he would be the Devil of Hell. You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God, or else a madman or something worse. You can shut him up for a fool, you can spit at him and kill him as a demon or you can fall at his feet and call him Lord and God, but let us not come with any patronizing nonsense about his being a great human teacher. He has not left that open to us. He did not intend to.”
- C.S. Lewis

2016/1/4 6:51Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

It has been a long time since I have read it- I need to read it again.

I thought it was really good- I like the style of CS Lewis. I like the way he writes, but you have to pay close attention because it is not overly easy to read.

"Enemy-occupied territory-- that is what this world is. Christianity is the story of how the rightful king has landed, you might say landed in disguise, and is calling us to take part in a great campaign of sabotage."

2016/1/4 7:43Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re: Mere Christianity

I would recommend it. I have read it several times. If you know someone who claims to be an atheist, it is a good book for them to read as well.

2016/1/4 8:23Profile

Re:

I haven't read it and I'm not going to.
Here are some interesting article:
http://www.crossroad.to/articles2/006/narnia-trouble.htm
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/daylightatheism/essays/mere-christianity.

God has first of all given us the Scriptures and the Bereans "searched it daily"
To compare Scripture with Scripture is very helpful to get a deeper understanding.

I would be VERY careful to use stories or movies or books of some "best selling authors " etc. !

2016/1/4 13:56
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

The last sentence of the article Markus linked to:

"I sincerely doubt that such shallow argumentation will ever convert a knowledgeable nonbeliever."

First, it is not a shallow argument. Is it written for ThD's? No. Is it shallow? Absolutely not.

Second, no argumentation will ever convert a knowledgeable nonbeliever.

Mere Christianity has been one of the most read and respected and quoted books in evangelical circles for years. That alone is s good enough reason to read it.

Is it flawless? Nope- there is only one book that is.

2016/1/4 14:14Profile

Re: Markuskiwi

You mean like using Star Wars The Force Awakens as sermon material??? With a :-)

This past Sunday I actually heard a pastor using Star Wars as a basis for his sermon out of Ephesians 3 1-12. How he got Star Wars out of Ephesians 3 I honestly don't know. But that was some of the fanciest exegesis I've ever feard.

Blaine

2016/1/4 14:22
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re:

From the book:

“There are people in other religions who are being led by God’s secret influence to concentrate on those parts of their religion which are in agreement with Christianity, and who thus belong to Christ without knowing it. For example, a Buddhist of good will may be led to concentrate more and more on the Buddhist teaching about mercy and to leave in the background (though he might still say he believed) the Buddhist teaching on certain other points. Many of the good Pagans long before Christ’s birth may have been in this position.”

Imo that quote alone is enough for Christians not to have anything to do with this writer. From what I've read about him and understand, Lewis also believed in purgatory and annihilation for those who are not "purged" after death.

One of the greatest deceptions in our day is the belief that all religions lead to God. The Word of God makes it crystal clear that there is no other way to God but through faith in Christ. Either we believe that clear declaration of God's Word or we reject it to our own peril.

2016/1/4 15:17Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Mary Jane-

You are an intelligent and Godly woman. You should be able to read this book and make your own determinations and judgments. Don't let other people do this for you.

You will likely find parts you agree with and are blessed by and other parts that you do not agree with. But there is nothing dangerous in that. I am sure if I read Calvin's Institutes there would be much I agree with but also much I would adamantly disagree with. But I wouldn't let that keep me from reading it. I just don't have that much free time right now.

The passage quoted by Oracio is from a much longer section in the book. It is only fair to see the entire context.

You will not be led astray or harmed by this book. You may think it is tripe, but you will have to read it to find out.

2016/1/4 15:48Profile
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re:

There is a difference between disagreeing in non-essentials and essentials. The belief that faith in Jesus is the only way to God is an essential Christian doctrine. I would also say that belief in eternal conscious torment for the unsaved is essential. I cannot bend on those two doctrines of God's Word. I guess I'm willing to live with being labeled a fundamentalist.

2016/1/4 16:02Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy