Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Thoughts For A New Year

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
docseth1

Valdosta, Ga

Thoughts For A New Year

Some thoughts for the new year.

The year 1999 was coming to a close. There were feelings of anxiety and uncertainty. Y2K concerns were visible and audible. Tensions were high.

The very thought of a year 2000 seemed itself quite apocalyptic. We had never been there in history. What would this mean? What would be in store for this new millennium? One thing was for sure, many were predicting the end of the world. It was plain that many were preparing for the worst.

But here we are...sixteen years Iater.

While the world has not come to an end, the start of this millennium has proven that we have entered an age of extreme significance - though we probably will not know how significant until history fininishes running its course.

Yet, I think it is clear that there is something greatly different that has begun to unfold in this last decade and a half. War, earthquakes, economical instability and violence are now plastered everywhere on the news on scales that are fearfully alarming.

As I was reflecting on the new year ahead and what it would mean for the world, I was reminded of a speech that was given by King George VI during a Christmas Eve address and during the early days of World War II. During his speech, he read a few lines from a famous poem entitled The Gate Of The Year. These are the lines that he read.

"I said to the man who stood at the gate of the year: Give me a light that I may tread safely into the unknown. And he replied:" 'Go out into the darkness and put your hand into the Hand of God. That shall be to you better than light and safer than a known way.'”

King George was not fully aware how he would need the words from this poem in the days ahead. Not long after this speech, King George and his nation would be hammered with bombs from Hitler's mad regime. King George would also soon endure suffering and eventually death from the dreadful disease of lung cancer, as well as other serious health ailments.

Here's the point, none of us know what lies ahead, but God does. In 2016, let's run to the Master. Trust Him. Serve Him. Love Him. Lean on Him. He is our only hope. He is our joy in times of trouble.

Happy New Year Everyone!

2016/1/1 7:46Profile

Re: Thoughts For A New Year

Thank you docseth1 for some encouraging words !

I have been thinking a bit about the Exodus in the last few months.
When they came to Kadesh Barnea Moses sent out 12 spies. After they spied out the land they had a big discussion and most of them didn't want to go to the Promised Land. When Joshua and Chaleb stood up and wanted to say something , the congregation took up stones !

Numbers 14v6 "But Joshua the son of Nun and Caleb the son of Jephunneh, who were among those who had spied out the land, tore their clothes; 7 and they spoke to all the congregation of the children of Israel, saying: “The land we passed through to spy out is an exceedingly good land. 8 If the Lord delights in us, then He will bring us into this land and give it to us, ‘a land which flows with milk and honey.’[a] 9 Only do not rebel against the Lord, nor fear the people of the land, for they are our bread; their protection has departed from them, and the Lord is with us. Do not fear them.” 10 And all the congregation said to stone them with stones "

Then they went around in circles for 38 years and most of them perished in the Wilderness. "So we see that because of their unbelief they were not able to enter his rest." (Hebrews 3:19)
We discussed a lot of theology and doctrines and end time stuff etc. last year. We can try and be "right" in all those areas but let's remember "they did not enter His rest because of their unbelief" !

When Joshua took over as a leader he changed the strategy, he only sent out two spies into Jericho and on the Third Day, they entered Canaan. What a difference.!

Joshua 1v5 "I will not leave you nor forsake you. 6 Be strong and of good courage, for to this people you shall divide as an inheritance the land which I swore to their fathers to give them. 7 Only be strong and very courageous, that you may observe to do according to all the law which Moses My servant commanded you; do not turn from it to the right hand or to the left, that you may prosper wherever you go. 8 This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate in it day and night, that you may observe to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success. 9 Have I not commanded you? Be strong and of good courage; do not be afraid, nor be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.”
10 Then Joshua commanded the officers of the people, saying, 11 “Pass through the camp and command the people, saying, ‘Prepare provisions for yourselves, for within three days you will cross over this Jordan, to go in to possess the land which the Lord your God is giving you to possess.’”

When we read the above instructions we see that the Lord wasn't interested in Joshua's "believ-ism" and in his theological qualifications and certificates etc. because THE LORD was about to do something - through Joshua. He wanted him to Trust and Obey !

So as we start our journey through 2016 may we be reminded to "Be strong and of good courage; do not be afraid, nor be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.” We all know it is getting darker around us all the time. May we find rest IN HIM ! Blessings for 2016 !

2016/1/2 23:04

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy