SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Decimation of Damascas

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
PosterThread
savannah

Re: Matthew 24 :9

JB Lightfoot on Matthew 24:9

Then shall they deliver you up to be afflicted, and shall kill you: and ye shall be hated of all nations for my name's sake.

[Then shall they deliver you up to be afflicted.] To this relate those words of 1 Peter 4:17, "The time is come that judgment must begin at the house of God"; that is, the time foretold by our Saviour is now at hand, in which we are to be delivered up to persecution, &c. These words denote that persecution which the Jews, now near their ruin, stirred up almost everywhere against the professors of the gospel. They had indeed oppressed them hitherto on all sides, as far as they could, with slanders, rapines, whippings, stripes, &c. which these and such like places testify; 1 Thessalonians 2:14,15; Hebrews 10:33, &c. But there was something that put a rub in their way, that, as yet, they could not proceed to the utmost cruelty; "And now ye know what withholdeth"; which, I suppose, is to be understood of Claudius enraged at and curbing in the Jews. Who being taken out of the way, and Nero, after his first five years, suffering all things to be turned topsy turvy, the Jews now breathing their last (and Satan therefore breathing his last effects in them, because their time was short), they broke out into slaughter beyond measure, and into a most bloody persecution: which I wonder is not set in the front of the ten persecutions by ecclesiastical writers. This is called by Peter (who himself also at last suffered in it) a fiery trial; by Christ, dictating the epistles to the seven churches, tribulation for ten days; and the hour of temptation, which shall come upon all the world of Christians. And this is "the revelation of that wicked one" St. Paul speaks of, now in lively, that is, in bloody colours, openly declaring himself Antichrist, the enemy of Christ. In that persecution James suffered at Jerusalem, Peter in Babylon, and Antipas at Pergamus, and others, as it is probable, in not a few other places. Hence, Revelation 6:11,12 (where the state of the Jewish nation is delivered under the type of six seals), they are slain, who were to be slain for the testimony of the gospel under the fifth seal; and immediately under the sixth followed the ruin of the nation.

2015/12/31 6:48Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Oratio-

Your assertion that the "end of the age" = "the last days" is just an opinion. It could easily mean (and likely does, in my opinion- which might also be wrong) the end of the JEWISH age which coincided with the destruction of the temple system.

Verse 30 that talks about the Son of Man coming in clouds of heaven with power and great glory is apocalyptic language. Jesus did come to Jerusalem in judgment in 70 AD.

I definitely believe in a future literal 2nd coming. But you don't need the Olivet Discourse for support.

2015/12/31 7:46Profile

Re:

Heb 1:2 Hath in these LAST DAYS spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;

The book of Hebrews was thought to be written around 63-64 BC. Before the destruction of Jerusalem and the Temple.

If the Jewish ages were the LAST DAYS, then what are we in now? I tend to agree with Oracio that the last days commenced with Christ and we are still in them. I do agree with both of you (TMK and Oracio) that there is a future literal 2nd coming.

(Notice in 1:2, that Jesus Christ is the HEIR of all things. Very important).

2015/12/31 9:47

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy