SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Decimation of Damascas

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Bear I am not saying you can't be right because you may be.

But we have to be somewhat careful in interpreting prophetic passages like you mention 100% literally. Consider the following passage from Isaiah regarding judgment on Edom. Surely the smoke from its burning is not still rising today:

Isaiah 34:8-10 For it is the day of the Lord’s vengeance,The year of recompense for the cause of Zion. Its streams shall be turned into pitch,And its dust into brimstone;Its land shall become burning pitch. It shall not be quenched night or day;Its smoke shall ascend forever.From generation to generation it shall lie waste;No one shall pass through it forever and ever.

2015/12/29 18:22Profile
dolfan

Tennessee, but my home's in Alabama

Re:

I dont know how helpful the Damascus conversation is. But I have an honest question, so count me in. :)

Someone said Damascus was partially destroyed and that the event equals a partial fulfillment of Isaiah 17. How? If Isaiah meant a total and permanent destruction of Damascus how can a 2700 year old partial destruction of what is today the oldest continually existing city be "partial" fulfillment? That seems to me a lot like predicting the oceans will run dry and then saying evaporation in June 515 AD partially fulfilled that. See what I mean? I don't see how that prophecy can be fulfilled partially. Either Damascus did or will cease to be a city or it did not/will not.

Is it possible that Isaiah 17:1 does not mean permanently so? Yes. In fact, the Hebrew does not mean permanent cessation. It means to be laid aside or put down, to turn off, call back or decline. Pardon the comparison, but it may be like Chrysler or Pontiac. They ceased but you can still buy parts, still see them in the road (I drive a Pontiac), and the companies that made them make the same things in the same places by other names. V. 3 uses the word "shabbath" to describe the kingdom of Damascus. It can mean permanent stoppage, but usually does not.

I don't know, y'all. I would not be surprised to see Damascus catastrophically fall in the near future. Not knowing is not knowing---it isn't disagreeing with the Lord. I personally *feel* like Is. 17:1 is future and that it means total wipe out forever, but I would be very dishonest to look at the Word and say it *must* be so.

2015/12/29 19:03Profile

Re:

Brothers 2nd Timothy 3:16 says all Scripture IS inspired by God. It does not say all Scripture WAS inspired by God. But all Scripture IS inspired by God. I merely point this out to suggest that there is a present on going inspiration of the Word of God. If the Bible is merely reduced to a history book. Then the text would read all Scripture WAS by God.

I realized compared to some of this forum I'm not the biblical scholar. But if we take a historical preterist view of Scripture and try to reduce everything as being fulfilled before 70 ad. Then we are losing the uniqueness of the Bible speaking to us today. Particularly in the area of prophecy. Particularly in the area of the coming of the Lord.

Let me pose this question respectfully. I'm sure that we would all agree that the cross was a historical event that took place 2,000 years ago. What does that event still have relevance to us today. Does the cross of Jesus Christ and what took place historically in time and space 2000 years ago. Does that event have spiritual implications to us today. I hope you answer yes. Because if you are merely looking at the cross as a historical event with no relevance to the believer today. Then you have no salvation and no hope of eternal life.

Brothers I'm simply reasoning that the Bible is not merely a historical book. Praise God that history and archaeology have proved the trustworthiness of Scripture. But the Bible is more than just a history book. It is a book of life. It is a book that still speaks to us today agree with this.

As usual these are my thoughts.

Blaine

2015/12/29 19:26

Re:

Quote:
Let me pose this question respectfully. I'm sure that we would all agree that the cross was a historical event that took place 2,000 years ago. What does that event still have relevance to us today. Does the cross of Jesus Christ and what took place historically in time and space 2000 years ago. Does that event have spiritual implications to us today. I hope you answer yes. Because if you are merely looking at the cross as a historical event with no relevance to the believer today. Then you have no salvation and no hope of eternal life.

Yes, Blaine.

2015/12/29 20:05
yuehan

Re:

Bearmaster,

Quote:
Brethren let's me put the question this way. Is the Bible merely a history book of prophecies that have been fulfilled in times past. Or is there a future fulfillment of prophecy as yet to come?

You might want to look up "Midrash" - it's a rabbinic method of hermeneutics which posits that biblical prophecy can have multiple fulfillments, finally being capped off by an ultimate fulfillment.

One convincing example would be Hosea 11:1, Matt 2:15 ("Out of Egypt I have called My Son.").

2015/12/30 7:13Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Sometimes it seems that some Christians are offended at the suggestion that some prophecies were fulfilled in the past. True, that makes it history to us, but when the prophecy was made it was still future. To me it's awesome that we can look back with hindsight to see how prophecy was fulfilled. This is especially true with all the messianic prophecies and the fulfillment of the Olivet Discourse in 70 ad.

I agree the the Word is alive and two-edged and certainly pertains to us today. This would be true even if every prophecy in it has already been fulfilled (I don't believe this) because it contains so much more than just prophecy.

2015/12/30 7:27Profile
Lysa

This world is not my home anymore.

Re:

Quote:
by dolfan
Someone said Damascus was partially destroyed and that the event equals a partial fulfillment of Isaiah 17. How? If Isaiah meant a total and permanent destruction of Damascus how can a 2700 year old partial destruction of what is today the oldest continually existing city be "partial" fulfillment?

I think because people want to be "partially" right! ;)

2015/12/30 7:40Profile

Re:

Quote:
by yuehan on 2015/12/30 7:13:11
You might want to look up "Midrash" - it's a rabbinic method of hermeneutics which posits that biblical prophecy can have multiple fulfillments, finally being capped off by an ultimate fulfillment.

One convincing example would be Hosea 11:1, Matt 2:15 ("Out of Egypt I have called My Son.").

Yuehan,

This is certainly true of messianic prophecies and we have seen the second fulfillment of them in Christ's appearance on the stage of history 2,000 years ago.

There are many prefigurings of Christ in the life of Moses and David. We don't see Paul or Peter or James or John speaking about double meanings of non messianic prophecies that were prophecied and fulfilled all within the OT.

The phenomena of taking an OT prophecy and assigning another future event to it started at most, about 400 years ago. Again, no mention of these prophecies by the Early Church.

2015/12/30 8:40

Re: TMK

Tim respectively brother. If I take a view of Scripture that prophecy is yet to be fulfilled is not being offended on my part. But I'm simply trying to be Berean on my part. Going before the Holy Spirit and looking at His word and asking all these things true.

I think I have seen by your previous posts that you hold to the preterist view of the Olivet Discourse. That you would say that this was all fulfilled in 70 AD.

Brother I could go all through the signs of Matthew 24 and ask how to preterist would explain their ongoing reality. But let me just take one of the signs. One that I am very well familiar with because of the nature of my prayer call.

Jesus told His disciples in Matthew 24:9.......They will deliver you up to tribulation and will kill you and you will be hated by all nations because of My name.

Now if I understand your position. You would say that this was fulfilled in 70 AD. If this was fulfilled in 70 AD then there should be no present persecution. Or is this the prettiest position?

Brother respectfully my question is why am I still moderating a call praying for the persecuted church three nights a week? Why am I still reading heart-wrenching reports of believers who are being martyred for Christ? Why is it documented that persecution of Christians is taking place in over 139 nations in this present day? Why were precious Saints slain for their faith in Jesus in Uganda, the Philippines, and Nigeria this past Christmas? Brother respectfully for that matter why is Greg still posting articles about the persecuted church in this forum?

Brother this question is asked respectfully and in a conciliatory manner or tone. I really would like to know how Oreterists such as yourself explain the reality of ongoing persecution in this present age. If you say the discourse was fulfilled in 70 AD. There is no sarcasm implied here. I just want to know how you view the reality of ongoing persecution of our brothers and sisters if you believe the discourse was fulfilled in 70 AD.

Respectfully submitted by Blaine.

2015/12/30 9:07

Re: Julius

Brother I posted a respectful question to Tim. I invite you also to respond to it. How do you explain the reality of ongoing persecution in this present age if the Olivet Discourse is fulfilled in 70 AD?

Blaine

2015/12/30 9:13

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy