SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Fending off Nightmares

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
TMK

NC, USA

Fending off Nightmares

I was hoping some of you might be able to offer some insight regarding fending off nightmares.

My wife periodically has nightmares which she believes, and I agree, are demonic attacks. The primary reason for this is that they seem to happen when she has performed some kind Christian act, usually for an unsaved person, or when she falls asleep praying or praising the Lord. The secondary reason is that the nightmare is so horrible she will not share the details with me. These do not happen often, maybe a few times a year but she wakes up either in a panic or sobbing and it about scares me to death.

One particular instance, perhaps the worst, occurred the night after she had went out during her work lunch hour to buy a pair of shoes for a co-worker (they worked outside in a nursery) who had holes in the bottom of her shoes. This led to a conversation about the Lord. That night she had a horrid nightmare and woke up panicked. She said that as she was waking up she saw a demonic face and heard an evil voice saying “that’s what you get for buying those @#%ing shoes.”

Last night she had another one- she woke up sobbing. She said before she fell asleep she had been praying for the children that we taught in church that morning and was praising God for His work in their lives. Then immediately after she fell asleep she had this nightmare that she won’t tell me about.

She has resigned herself to the fact that the devil “knows how to get her” and she just has to deal with it. I told her she has authority to resist and rebuke but she is not sure how to do this while she is sleeping. I told her there has to be a way to do it before she falls asleep, but not sure exactly what to tell her to do.

Any insights would be appreciated!

2015/12/28 10:22Profile

Re: Fending off Nightmares

Dear brother,
The enemy has no authority over a believer in Christ. I will lay me down in peace and sleep: for Thou O LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. Many times speaking the Word of God causes the enemy to flee. We don't have to yell or use it like a formula. Just believe the truth. Resist the enemy and he will flee. You and your wife are a threat to Satan BUT if God is for us who can stand against us? Praying for you.
A sister
Psalm 4:8
Psalm 91
...and more

2015/12/28 11:13

Re: Fending off Nightmares

Todd the first recommendation I would offer is most basic. Brother I would urge you as the husband and the head of your wife to pray over her. God has given her to you as a gift and in a sense you are a steward of her. So brother pray over her. Pray God's protection over her. Visibly and orally put the Ephesian armor over her. Do this in your prayers. Before you both retire for the night pray for God to protect you both in your sleep. Brother I could go on. But I think you get the picture.

Also I would encourage you if there's any way possible play the Scriptures quietly as you sleep. Not only will you be getting the Word of God into your inner man. But also it should keep any demonic spirits out of your sleep. Demonic spirits hate the word of God. And this is how Jesus resistex the devil. Through the power of God's Word.

Another suggestion I would offer is do a prayer walk around your house and your property. Consecrate your property to the Lord. Take authority over your property and find any unclean spirits in the name of Jesus. Do this every so often. Consecrating your home and your property to the Lord.

There have been times that I have had nightmares myself. These are demonic attacks of the enemy. But brother as I have employed this strategy as I described above. The dreams have subsided.

Brother Jesus does not want your wife to experience these nightmares. So I urge you. Take action. These are demonic. But He who lives in us is greater then he who is in the world.

I pray this helps. I will be keeping you and your wife in my prayers.

Blaine

2015/12/28 11:14
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Thank you both for your input. Very helpful.

2015/12/28 11:31Profile

Re:

HI Todd,

I agree with bro Blaine. I would pray with your wife before she goes to sleep every night. Perhaps reading the Word and praising God 30 minutes before going to bed, filling her mind with His word and His praise. Will be praying for her bro...............bro Frank

2015/12/28 11:33
dolfan

Tennessee, but my home's in Alabama

Re:

Todd, I am chipping in with Blaine, too.

Recently, my wife and I experienced nightmares that we knew to be spiritual attacks, too. Panic, worry, from "out of nowhere". Other events and people were involved too.

We shared this with our home group. An older brother in the Lord through whom He used on a couple of earlier occasions to give words of wisdom said: "This is a demonic attack. But, you have the authority as the head of your wife and of your family to speak directly to the demon and tell him to leave and not come back, and he has to obey that. Don't just pray to the Lord about it. You do it in His name."

So, after everyone had left our home that night except this brother and his wife, we sat down. I spoke directly to my wife, eye to eye, and commanded the spirit to leave our home and not to come back. I addressed it directly. My wife agreed with me aloud and it has not happened since. Not saying we have had zero nightmares --- sometimes a late evening pizza will give you meaningless crazy dreams --- but any sense of attack or oppression simply disappeared.

As the head of a believing wife (and it sounds like your wife is like mine in her love for the Lord), you have the privilege, duty and authority to do this. I believe with you and with everyone here that the Lord will act on your behalf and anoint you to do this.

2015/12/28 11:47Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Thank you Tim and Frank.

What you are all saying makes such sense it is hard to believe I had to ask for help.

I guess when it's happening to you it is difficult to think clearly.

2015/12/28 14:58Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy