SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Revivals And Church History : Ten Lost Tribes of Israel

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
proudpapa

Ten Lost Tribes of Israel

"Ten Lost Tribes of Israel, 10 of the original 12 Hebrew tribes, which, under the leadership of Joshua, took possession of Canaan, the Promised Land, after the death of Moses. They were named Asher, Dan, Ephraim, Gad, Issachar, Manasseh, Naphtali, Reuben, Simeon, and Zebulun—all sons or grandsons of Jacob. In 930 bc the 10 tribes formed the independent Kingdom of Israel in the north and the 2 other tribes, Judah and Benjamin, set up the Kingdom of Judah in the south. Following the conquest of the northern kingdom by the Assyrians in 721 bc, the 10 tribes were gradually assimilated by other peoples and thus disappeared from history. Nevertheless, a belief persisted that one day the Ten Lost Tribes would be found. Eldad ha-Dani, for instance, a 9th-century Jewish traveler, reported locating the tribes “beyond the rivers of Abyssinia” on the far side of an impassable river called Sambation, a roaring torrent of stones that becomes subdued only on the sabbath, when Jews are not permitted to travel. Manasseh ben Israel (1604–57) used the legend of the lost tribes in pleading successfully for admission of Jews into England during Oliver Cromwell’s regime. Peoples who at various times were said to be descendants of the lost tribes include the Nestorians, the Mormons, the Afghans, the Falashas of Ethiopia, the American Indians, and the Japanese. Among the numerous immigrants to the State of Israel since its establishment in 1948 were a few who likewise claimed to be remnants of the Ten Lost Tribes. The descendants of the tribes of Judah and Benjamin have survived as Jews because they were allowed to return to their homeland after the Babylonian Exile of 586 bc."
http://www.britannica.com/topic/Ten-Lost-Tribes-of-Israel

Does any one have any thoughts, understanding, opinions concerning the Ten Lost Tribes of Israel ?

2015/11/25 23:11Profile
docs

Re: Ten Lost Tribes of Israel

I read a small book a few years ago by David Baron addressing the subject. It was awell done little book. How come these authors and scholars that have passsed could do such a good job at research with their limited resources? Anyway, it is the book referenced in these articles by a premillennialist who has a website. That's just to let you know what type of site you will be on but he has two good articles on the 10 Lost Tribes that may be of interest to you. Meanwhile, good Lord above, there's no reason for contention oor rancor.

https://scripturethoughts.wordpress.com/?s=ten+lost+tribes+-+baron

2015/11/26 0:18Profile
proudpapa

Docs

Thank you,

2015/11/26 1:23Profile

Re: Docs

Proudpapa and Oracio,

I would like to email you something. Would you send me an email?

2015/11/26 20:23
proudpapa

Re:

I would but my computer does not email,

2015/11/26 21:24Profile
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re:

Sure brother, click on my profile, I made it available to be seen there.

2015/11/26 22:21Profile

Re:

Ok, thanks Oracio.

2015/11/26 22:54

Re:

Here is another interesting article;
http://www.askelm.com/prophecy/p900703.htm

I like the fact that the author uses a lot of scripture to support his views. But i think it is always good to study different views and try and find the right balance.

It seems those tribes were not really "lost" but they were probably split and many members DID end up in different parts of the world.?
Will study it a bit more and give it a few more thoughts.

(Julius, i had some interesting thoughts in my studies, if you want i can share them with you by email? see my profile )

2015/11/27 2:57

Re:

Markus,

Please feel free to email me. My address is visible.

2015/11/27 9:02
proudpapa

Re:

Thank you, markuskiwi for the artical.

Though I disagreed with the basic premise of the artical, there was alot of good content with the artical that I find helpful.

I am not buying into the view of 'Anglo-Israelism'

but It does seem rather unarguable that a rather large portion, of the worlds population unknowingly has Jacob as a common ansestor.

Is it possible that the entire world populous has Jacob as a common ansestor ? mathmatically it is very possible that someone that far back could be a common ancestor to the entire world populous.

Theoretically no other person from Jacob's time onward would more suitably fit as a common ansestor to all of mankind than that of Jacob, no other ethnicity that I can think of has been more dispersed than that of Jacobs descendants.

add: I am finding the history of the Jewish people absolutly facinating.

2015/11/27 11:27Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy