SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : Being Spirit-filled and Maturity in Christ

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Being Spirit-filled and Maturity in Christ

When it comes to being filled with the Holy Spirit and maturity in Christ, the number of years of being in Christ doesn't matter much. Rather, what matters is a consistent diligence in following hard after Christ, forsaking the world, feasting daily on God's Word and obeying it, seeking God’s face in prayer daily, and not allowing oneself to get distracted from those basic essentials.

I’ve known Christians who’ve known the Lord for only a few years and by knowing them you’d think they’ve known the Lord for many years because you can tell they are very mature in the Lord and Spirit-filled. On the other hand, I’ve known Christians who’ve known the Lord for more than 20 years and do not show much evidence of growth and maturity in Christ.

Based on the above criterion, after being in Christ for 17 years, I think I'm a babe in Christ as I have allowed myself to get too distracted over the years. To clarify, I think I’m a babe in Christ in comparison to where I could have been in Christ by now. I make that clarification because I don't want to seem like I’m depreciating or diminishing what God has done in my life throughout these years of walking with Him. I praise Him for all He’s done in my life by His grace and where He’s brought me! In retrospect I’m basically seeking to call a spade a spade. The passage of scripture that comes to mind here is Hebrews 5:12-14, “For though by this time you ought to be teachers, you need someone to teach you again the first principles of the oracles of God; and you have come to need milk and not solid food. 13 For everyone who partakes only of milk is unskilled in the word of righteousness, for he is a babe. 14 But solid food belongs to those who are of full age, that is, those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.” I know that the immediate context of that passage is in reference to not going back to the Old Covenant but I believe it can apply to this type of situation today as well.

I remember attending a church where the pastor would say from time to time (in reference to the Christian walk) something to the effect of, “It is very fun and cute to interact with a small baby, diapers and all. But it would be tragic for that same baby to grow up into adolescence and still be wearing diapers.”

Also, to clarify and avoid a possible misunderstanding, I don't mean to say that there can't be a place for enjoying recreational activities. I definitely believe there's a place for that. To deny that would be to go into legalism and asceticism. My main point is that our priority must be seeking Christ and His kingdom first, above all else. I know that for me, too many times I've placed too high of a priority on other kinds of things and have allowed them to become a distraction; a hindrance to my walk with Christ. And not to mention certain besetting sins I'm deeply ashamed of.

Brethren (especially those that are young in the faith in terms of years of walking with Christ), don't allow yourself to get distracted from your highest calling; from being filled with God's Spirit and growing into Christlikeness as much and as soon as possible.

Like Mary in Luke 10:42, we must choose the best thing first and foremost. May the Lord help us all to do that.

2015/11/19 13:22Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy