SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Ephesians 5:7

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

Ephesians 5:7

Been reading through Ephesians 5 this week a couple of verses really got me thinking about the behavior of a Christian. Begins with be imitators of God and to walk in love, but the then the sexually immoral, no course talk, covetous, impure and so forth have no inheritance in the kingdom of heaven. Don't be drunk wine but filled with the wine. Goes on to say don't have any part with them that partake of these things.

I know of "christians" who drink excessively, that have a cussing problem, that are more worldly. Should we not associate with them? Are we not called to be a light or is it wise to turn them over to satan for the destruction of there flesh?

2015/11/17 6:56
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re: Ephesians 5:7

Is there not middle ground between being a light on a hill and turning someone over to the flesh?? Why does it have to "one" or the "other"?

I don't think we will have to "not" associate carnal Christians, sadly, there are a lot more carnal christians than those walking "with" Christ and if you turn them over to satan how will these KNOW how they should walk? I think we have MORE of responsibility to them than to the unsaved.

Besides, let God take care of them because when you draw closer to the Lord, if they are not comfortable around you, they will let loose of you!! Who can attest to that??!!!

God called us to be salt, shake yourself out all over them in the love of God!! See where the chips fall!

God bless,
Lisa

2015/11/17 8:49Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re: Ephesians 5:7

Reformer: If I read Eph. chapter 5 correctly, Paul is not telling us to disassociate ourselves from people who sin, but rather to disassociate ourselves from the sin itself. We are not to partake with them in the sin that they are partaking in. It is personal, not social. If your "brothers" are drinking and cussing, do not go with them and do the same thing they are doing. This is different from disassociating from them as people.

In the letter to the Corinthians, Paul speaks of turning a man over to Satan for the destruction of the flesh. This man was living in a sexual relationship with his step-mother, and was unrepentant. In the second letter, apparently he had repented, for Paul admonished the church to bring him back in. This is church discipline for a brother who was warned but was yet unrepentant, and it was meted out by mature leadership.

If a brother is warned of his sin and continues unrepentantly in that sin, we can avoid that brother. If a brother teachers heresy, we are to admonish and then reject him. All of this is scriptural, but I do not believe that is what is being taught in Eph. 5. We are to reprove those works.

2015/11/17 15:16Profile

Re:

reformer,

When you read the word, I am assuming you also have the Holy Spirit. You know these people, and we don't. So, what is the Holy Spirit telling you as you read the word and walk closely with Christ? What is Jesus telling YOU specifically about these people? I'm sorry, but we don't follow a rule book and things are not black and white so you just can't ask questions of men and then they turn to their index and find an answer for you. Have you asked the Lord and again, what has the Lord told you concerning these people that only you know? Are you being led by the Spirit?

2015/11/17 15:31

Re:

Biggest thing is whether that brother is a true believer, if one if continues cussing and drinking excessively there salvation must be examined. Its a slippery slope I think especially if there is a weaker brother in the midst. Bad company can corrupt good moral and cause one to stumble.

2015/11/18 6:57
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re:

Quote:
by reformer
Biggest thing is whether that brother is a true believer, if one if continues cussing and drinking excessively there salvation must be examined. Its a slippery slope I think especially if there is a weaker brother in the midst. Bad company can corrupt good moral and cause one to stumble.

It's not your job to decide if someone is a true believer or not. Believe me, I love the Lord but went through a cussing stage. Everyone is at a different place in their walk with Christ, maybe they are not as holy and as far along as you are in Christ. Have you actually sat down with them one on one and discussed their behavior with them and them alone?

I had a best friend for years and walked away from our friendship but she knew exactly why I did. She went out on her husband and I began to see warning signs. The first time, I prayed and walk with her through it, I thought she was repentant. But it broke my heart to sit her down and go over the warning signs 5 yrs later that I was seeing and to talk to her about a spirit of lust and then finally saying, "I am not going down this road with you again, if you go out with this man, no matter how innocent you think this is, do not ever call me again." She has never called and that's been 20 years ago.

You need to talk with them in the spirit of love for their soul. Let us know how that goes.

God bless,
Lisa

2015/11/18 7:49Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re:

Quote:

It is a good point. A good tree bears good fruit and an evil tree evil fruit. There is something to be said for spiritual immaturity, and we bear long with that, teaching with patience. But if the person has long claimed to be born again, with no apparent change in their lives, then it is doubtful that that brother has really been changed. Lysa is right, we cannot be the judge over whether a person is truly born again. God will do that. But we must judge the actions of others and reprove and rebuke where it is appropriate. If these brothers are simply immature, speaking to them about their influence on other believers and their need to grow in holiness will result in their growth. If they refuse and are unteachable, that is another matter.

2015/11/18 9:44Profile

Re:

thanks everyone that has offered there input. I plan I bringing somethings up next time we all get together.

I have struggled with it for so long that it has clouded my judgement and weakened my stance. Its easy to go along with others than to be the one to take a stand. For to long I let it things go and noticed it effected my walk.

Blessings!

2015/11/18 10:40

Re:

Quote:

We can only examine ourselves, reformer. We can't examine others (2 Cor 13:5). If you know them, ask them if they are going through some particularly difficult times. Take them out to lunch. Do something relational with them as Jesus would do. And treat them like saints, not sinners. Might be an opportunity to minister to them. In the meantime, I am sure you are praying for a "door of utterance".

Compassion and understanding never hurt and it may cause them to open up to you.

And of some have compassion, making a difference: And others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire; hating even the garment spotted by the flesh. (Jude 1:22-23).

We show mercy because we have received mercy. We are enjoined to "keep ourselves in the love of God" when we see others who are slipping. Guard yourself from getting a self-righteous attitude. It can happen far more easily than people think.

"Keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life."

2015/11/18 11:14

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy