Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : VERY SOBERING WORD by Corrie Ten Boom

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 VERY SOBERING WORD by Corrie Ten Boom

In America, the churches sing, "Let the congregation escape tribulation", but in China and Africa the tribulation has already arrived. This last year alone more than two hundred thousand Christians were martyred in Africa. Now things like that never get into the newspapers because they cause bad political relations. But I know. I have been there. We need to think about that when we sit down in our nice houses with our nice clothes to eat our steak dinners. Many, many members of the Body of Christ are being tortured to death at this very moment, yet we continue right on as though we are all going to escape the tribulation.
Several years ago I was in Africa in a nation where a new government had come into power. The first night I was there some of the Christians were commanded to come to the police station to register. When they arrived they were arrested and that same night they were executed. The next day the same thing happened with other Christians. The third day it was the same. All the Christians in the district were being systematically murdered.

The fourth day I was to speak in a little church. The people came, but they were filled with fear and tension. All during the service they were looking at each other, their eyes asking, "Will this one I am sitting beside be the next one killed? Will I be the next one?"

The room was hot and stuffy with insects that came through the screenless windows and swirled around the naked bulbs over the bare wooden benches. I told them a story out of my childhood.

"When I was a little girl," I said, "I went to my father and said, 'Daddy, I am afraid that I will never be strong enough to be a martyr for Jesus Christ."
"Tell me," said Father, "When you take a train trip to Amsterdam, when do I give you the money for the ticket? Three weeks before?"
"No, Daddy, you give me the money for the ticket just before we get on the train."
"That is right," my father said, "and so it is with God's strength. Our Father in Heaven knows when you will need the strength to be a martyr for Jesus Christ. He will supply all you need - just in time."

My African friends were nodding and smiling. Suddenly a spirit of joy descended upon that church and the people began singing,
"In the sweet, by and by, we shall meet on that beautiful shore."
Later that week, half the congregation of that church was executed. I heard later that the other half was killed some months ago. But I must tell you something. I was so happy that the Lord used me to encourage these people, for unlike many of their leaders, I had the word of God. I had been to the Bible and discovered that Jesus said He had not only overcome the world, but to all those who remained faithful to the end, He would give a crown of life.
How can we get ready for the persecution? First we need to feed on the word of God, digest it, make it a part of our being. This will mean disciplined Bible study each day as we not only memorize long passages of scripture, but put the principles to work in our lives.

Next we need to develop a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. Not just the Jesus of yesterday, the Jesus of History, but the life-changing Jesus of today who is still alive and sitting at the right hand of God.

We must be filled with the Holy Spirit. This is no optional command of the Bible, it is absolutely necessary. Those earthly disciples could never have stood up under the persecution of the Jews and Romans had they not waited for Pentecost. Each of us needs our own personal Pentecost, the baptism of the Holy Spirit. We will never be able to stand in the tribulation without it.
In the coming persecution we must be ready to help each other and encourage each other. But we must not wait until the tribulation comes before starting. The fruit of the Spirit should be the dominant force of every Christian's life.
Many are fearful of the coming tribulation, they want to run. I, too, am a little bit afraid when I think that after all my eighty years, including the horrible Nazi concentration camp, that I might have to go through the tribulation also. But then I read the Bible and I am glad.

When I am weak, then I shall be strong, the Bible says. Betsy and I were prisoners for the Lord, we were so weak, but we got power because the Holy Spirit was on us. That mighty inner strengthening of the Holy Spirit helped us through. No, you will not be strong in yourself when the tribulation comes. Rather, you will be strong in the power of Him who will not forsake you. For seventy-six years I have known the Lord Jesus and not once has He ever left me, or let me down.

"Though He slay me, yet will I trust Him", for I know that to all who overcome, He shall give the crown of life. Hallelujah!

2015/11/6 17:42Profile

Re: VERY SOBERING WORD by Corrie Ten Boom

Greg very thought provoking words by our sister sister Corrie ten Boom. I am reminded of the words out of an old hymn.......

Must I sail to heaven on flowery ease
While others sailed the stormy seas

Can we in America really expect to be raptured from persecution? While other brothers and sisters have paid the price fir their faith in places like North Korea and Eritrea?

Just some thought provoking questions.

Blaine

2015/11/6 22:01
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re:

Quote:
by bearmaster on 2015/11/6 22:01:37

Greg very thought provoking words by our sister sister Corrie ten Boom. I am reminded of the words out of an old hymn.......

Must I sail to heaven on flowery ease
While others sailed the stormy seas

Can we in America really expect to be raptured from persecution? While other brothers and sisters have paid the price fir their faith in places like North Korea and Eritrea?

I have always wondered that, brother...

And good to have you back!!!

2015/11/7 8:39Profile
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Re: VERY SOBERING WORD by Corrie Ten Boom

Corrie ten Boom went to be with the Lord in
1983 at the age of 91. I would like to know
what year she wrote this article because of
what she said about the staggering number
of Christians that were martyred the year
before in Africa. (200,000)

I have heard reports coming out of Africa
where the gospel is spreading like wildfire
and now whole nations and leaders are
predominantly Christian.

2015/11/7 12:23Profile
Theophila

Re:

Brother,
I have learned to take with a pinch of salt reports claiming whole nations and leaders are now Christian in Africa.
I can't think of a single African nation where that is true.
What exists is a proliferation of prosperity gospel churches. American preachers hold 'crusades' where hundreds of thousands attend and numerous 'decisions for Christ' are recorded and then passed on into aforementioned reports.

But look at those same nations. Very few African nations are politically stable. The southern African countries are still dealing with AIDS. Of the Western African nations, only Cameroun, Ghana, Togo and perhaps Nigeria are stable. But then, Northern Nigeria is anything but safe for Christians. Gambia, Senegal, Sierra Leone are relatively stable. Benin Republic is said to still have Voodoo as its national religion.

The Eastern and Northern nations are still in the grip of Islam. Kenya and Uganda are battling an upsurge in Islam. The Central African nations are so deep in decades-long civil war, it just stumps the mind.

In Southern Nigeria, churches ARE multiplying like wildfire but not godliness.

2015/11/7 13:38Profile

Re:

But brother if I may give the other side of the story. The gospel is going forth in Africa. You are not going to hear it reported on Fox News. But particularly in those nations that are Islamic. Muslims are coming to Christ. Many though dreams and visions. But as they work through this experience of Jesus. They become what are known as Jesus followers. As they come to saving faith in Christ. They go back and share their experience with Jesus with their families. Ultimately out of this a remnant church is born.

There are those who are wondering if there will be a church left in Africa and the Middle East. As ISIS and other jihadist groups continue their rampage destroying the traditional established churches. The gospel is going forth and Muslims are coming to Christ. As they come to Christ they meet in small house fellowships. Here Jesus is building his church.

I do agree. I don't think there any so called Christian nations in Africa. But God is working through the back door. He is building his church. This I believe is part of the end time harvest.

My thoughts.

2015/11/7 13:51
Theophila

Re:

Amen, bearmaster!

Your sister welcomes you back.

2015/11/7 21:39Profile
luka

Jos, Nigeria

Re:

I'm from plateau state North central Nigeria. Your words are largely true.

2015/11/15 14:21Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy