SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : This is my most important post on SI – please read

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
PosterThread
wayneman

Michigan

Re:

Thanks for posting this. Here is the full text of HT's letter:

https://thedeepertruths.wordpress.com/2014/03/11/a-letter-from-j-hudson-taylor-to-his-sister-amelia/

2015/10/10 17:09Profile
yuehan

Re: This is my most important post on SI – please read

Thanks Tuc for sharing how you learnt to laid hold of Jesus' life, which is available to all Christians. Indeed, it is about having *confidence* in Him... I trust your testimony will be a blessing to many as it has been to me.

It is always great to read living epistles (2 Cor 3:3), and I've also enjoyed reading about Crusader's journey with God in this thread.

Quote:
InTheLight: And may the Lord help us to remember that Christ Himself is better than any of His blessings, better than power, and victory, and service that He gives.

Amen!!!!

2015/10/11 11:21Profile

Re:

I do not consider nor do I claim that I have arrived or attained anything. To me this is only the very start of my continuous walk with Christ. There is so much more that I have not yet seen but my confidence and trust is totally In Him because I know I am dead to my own abilities to preform anything. I expect that HE will preform it according to His word

Phip 3:8-14, "Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ, And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith: That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death; If by any means I might attain unto the resurrection of the dead. Not as though I had already attained, either were already perfect: but I follow after, if that I may apprehend that for which also I am apprehended of Christ Jesus. Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus".

2015/10/12 9:36
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re: This is my most important post on SI – please read

tuc can disagree if I have this wrong, but God has shown me something similar.

I remember when God gave me a revelation of James 4:7. Submit yourselves therefore unto God, resist the devil, and he will flee from you. So often I tried to resist the devil, without truly submitting myself to God. The question I had was, what does that look like to submit myself to God. In reading Romans 6, I found the answer to my question. I have absolutely no ability to resist the devil in myself. However, through Christ, through the indwelling Holy Spirit, I have that power and that authority. I have every ability to choose to sin. But if I, like Paul, can reckon myself dead indeed unto sin and alive unto Christ, then the life that I now live, I live through HIm and not through my own self effort. So the powerlessness that is in my flesh is overcome by the power that is in my spirit through the Holy Spirit.

I appreciate the post dealing with laboring to enter into His rest. He fulfilled the keeping of the Sabbath. He is my sabbath rest. I labor to keep myself connected to the vine from which the fruit I bear obtains its source. When my labor is focused there, I don't have to strive and labor to keep myself from sin.

In other words, I can work in my flesh to gin up enough strength to overcome temptation, usually fail, and bear little fruit. What a struggle. This is legalism. Or, I can labor to stay connected to the vine. I can labor to walk in the Spirit and not in the flesh, and the result will be the victory I have been seeking all along. This is relationship with God and victory.

2015/10/12 10:03Profile

Re:

tuc, we started a conversation we never finished.

Here is a thought for you. What Law are Christians talking about? What is it, where did they get it?

marcmc

2015/10/12 12:21

Re:

Double post

2015/10/12 12:41

Re:

Quote:
by twayneb on 2015/10/12 10:03:21

tuc can disagree if I have this wrong, but God has shown me something similar.

I remember when God gave me a revelation of James 4:7. Submit yourselves therefore unto God, resist the devil, and he will flee from you. So often I tried to resist the devil, without truly submitting myself to God. The question I had was, what does that look like to submit myself to God. In reading Romans 6, I found the answer to my question. I have absolutely no ability to resist the devil in myself. However, through Christ, through the indwelling Holy Spirit, I have that power and that authority. I have every ability to choose to sin. But if I, like Paul, can reckon myself dead indeed unto sin and alive unto Christ, then the life that I now live, I live through HIm and not through my own self effort. So the powerlessness that is in my flesh is overcome by the power that is in my spirit through the Holy Spirit.

I appreciate the post dealing with laboring to enter into His rest. He fulfilled the keeping of the Sabbath. He is my sabbath rest. I labor to keep myself connected to the vine from which the fruit I bear obtains its source. When my labor is focused there, I don't have to strive and labor to keep myself from sin.

In other words, I can work in my flesh to gin up enough strength to overcome temptation, usually fail, and bear little fruit. What a struggle. This is legalism. Or, I can labor to stay connected to the vine. I can labor to walk in the Spirit and not in the flesh, and the result will be the victory I have been seeking all along. This is relationship with God and victory.

Amen, twayneb and might I add:

Rom 8:2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.

2015/10/12 13:09
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re:

I might add, about the law. The old covenant, the law that God gave through Moses, was a law of outward works, of the flesh. It was contained in carnal (fleshly) ordinances. We relied on our own strength and the fear of the consequences (often literal death) in order to keep us on the straight and narrow. If we thought we did well, then we had confidence toward God. If we thought we did not do well, our conscience condemned us and we did not have confidence toward God. All the law could ever minister in our lives was death. An attempt to please God based on our own efforts is, by definition, legalism, and it leads to bondage.

The law of the spirit of life, the new covenant, is about a spirit that is recreated, reborn, by the Spirit of God. We experience victory by the power of the Holy Spirit, divine enablement, or what we might define as the grace of God. We live holy lives, not because we are struggling to abide by some external law, but because being plugged into the vine brings an internal government to our lives. Christ IN me, the hope of glory. And God's power through me allows me to do what I could never do motivated by the fear of the consequences of the law. This is why Paul said that Christ delivered us from the fear of death that we had always been in bondage to.

2015/10/12 13:18Profile

Re:

twayneb,

The Law was the Law of the covenant. A covenant that was made with a single, elect race of people. Unless your a Jew that's not you!

The reason so many Christians get snagged in this area is because they are determined to fulfill the Law that was never spoken to them in as many versions as there are people.

I deal with this all the time when speaking to Athiests. It is a painful process to get them to see that the 10 commandments was not written to them. They hate them and yet at the same time will move heaven and earth to make them apply to all humanity.

There was a ceremony that a gentile could go through to convert and be included in the Old Covenant but unless you went through that ceremony your an alien from that Covenant. Christians fail to see that the second you lift a finger to obey any law other than the Perfect Law of Liberty your smoked by the law of Sin and Death. Your effort actually activates it increasingly against yourself. It is like a noose that tightens the harder you wrestle. It's not Satan.

Romans 7:11For sin, taking occasion by the commandment, deceived me, and by it slew me

Paul could not have said it any clearer. Not only did they never apply to Gentiles but they were nailed to the Cross with Jesus no longer to be a dividing wall. It's called a wall of partition because that's what it was. The Jews were separated from all other people's because they alone had the law and the covenant. For the New to come the Old had to be put totally away. And yet what do we do to a new covert on day one? We hand him the list of fleshly ordinances jumbled together by our Judeo-Christian mumbo jumbo.

Ephesians 2:11Wherefore remember, that ye being in time past Gentiles in the flesh, who are called Uncircumcision by that which is called the Circumcision in the flesh made by hands; 12That at that time ye were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world: 13But now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ. 14For he is our peace, who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition between us; 15Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace; 16And that he might reconcile both unto God in one body by the cross, having slain the enmity thereby: 17And came and preached peace to you which were afar off, and to them that were nigh. 18For through him we both have access by one Spirit unto the Father.

marcmc

2015/10/12 13:37

One flock and one shepherd

One flock and one shepherd - from The Better Covenant by Ron Bailey

In the work of the cross two things have become one. Not in Ezekiel's hands but through nail-pierced hands. From two 'old' things one 'new' thing has emerged. As a result of the work of the cross God has been able to start all over again with a 'new man' and in that new man Jew and Gentile meet without distinction as God's one, new, people. Paul makes reference to the cross breaking down a middle wall of separation. Many have seen this as a reference to the balustrade in Herod's temple that separated Jew and Gentile and had inscribed on it the ominous words "Whoever is captured will have himself to blame for his subsequent death". This separated the 'Court of Israel" from the 'Court of the Gentiles'. I want to unpack this idea to understand just what Paul means when he says Christ has broken down the middle wall of separation.

In a parallel passage in Colossians he says; And you, being dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, He has made alive together with Him, having forgiven you all trespasses, having wiped out the handwriting of requirements that was against us, which was contrary to us. And He has taken it out of the way, having nailed it to the cross. Col 2:13-14 NKJV. Notice how he switches pronouns from 'you' to 'us'. In what way were 'you Gentiles' different to 'we Jews'? The difference was that 'handwriting of requirements'. In other words the written demands of God in Sinai's covenant Law. In Galatians Paul says that the Law was "our" child-conductor to bring "us" to Christ. Here, in Colossians, the law is 'the handwriting of requirements' against "us". To the Galatians Paul says 'we' Jews are no longer under a child-conductor now that faith has come. To the Colossians Paul says 'the handwriting of requirements that was against us' has been taken out of the way.

It was the written code that created the real barrier between Jew and Gentile. It marked off the Sinai Covenant people as distinct from the whole earth and was a constant source of irritation and hostility between the Gentile and the Jew; an insurmountable barrier between Jew and Gentile. But in the cross that barrier of the 'hand-written requirements' has come to its end and God has made peace between the two. Now, says Paul, ...therefore, you are no longer strangers and foreigners, but fellow citizens with the saints and members of the household of God, having been built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ Himself being the chief cornerstone, in whom the whole building, being fitted together, grows into a holy temple in the Lord, in whom you also are being built together for a dwelling place of God in the Spirit. Eph 2:19-22 NKJV. That is the effect of a New Covenant; a new man, a new Israel, a new family of God, a new temple. Christ's death has fulfilled all the righteous requirements of the law and now Jew and Gentile in Christ meet on common ground. Little wonder that Paul was so excited when God shared that secret.

2015/10/12 13:53

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy