Image Map
See Opportunities to Serve with SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Question on Hebrews 13:10

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Question on Hebrews 13:10

Got a question on the meaning of verse 10. It seems so out of place here, out of context. I am completely befuddled. How would you interpret it, understand it? Its contribution to the context completely escapes me. Anyone here know? I have to teach this scripture tomorrow to a ladies class...

Hebrews 13:7-13 (NASB)

7 Remember those who led you, who spoke the word of God to you; and considering the result of their conduct, imitate their faith.

8 Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.

9 Do not be carried away by varied and strange teachings; for it is good for the heart to be strengthened by grace, not by foods, through which those who were so occupied were not benefited.

10 We have an altar from which those who serve the tabernacle have no right to eat.

11 For the bodies of those animals whose blood is brought into the holy place by the high priest as an offering for sin, are burned outside the camp.

12 Therefore Jesus also, that He might sanctify the people through His own blood, suffered outside the gate.

13 So, let us go out to Him outside the camp, bearing His reproach. 14For here we do not have a lasting city, but we are seeking the city which is to come.

Thanks.

Sandra

2015/8/29 10:05Profile
proudpapa

Re: Question on Hebrews 13:10

good question
I recall Bro Denny Kenaston using the verse in his sermon on The Spirit of Law-And-The Spirit of Grace

"...There is a danger of our hearts being established by law and not by grace. Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever. Be not carried about with divers and strange doctrines. For it is a good thing that the heart be established with grace; not with meats, which have not profited them that have been occupied therein. We have an altar, whereof they have no right to eat which serve the tabernacle. (Hebrews 13:8-10) Don't let your heart be established in legal codes and rules, but rather let it be established in grace, because Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, and today, and forever."

https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/articles/index.php?view=article&aid=23603

add: is serving the tabernacle referring to serving the flesh ? that is to say the flesh trying to serve God thru legal codes and rules.

Is our altar referring to : Jesus Christ an altar of Grace

2015/8/29 10:41Profile
dolfan

Tennessee, but my home's in Alabama

The context of the passage rests in the theme of the fullness of the sacrifice of Christ and the uselessness of animals and burnt offerings. Heb. 10 states, as a commentary on OT passages, that God takes no pleasure in those sacrifices but that He removed that and the One who came to do His will (vis a vis a perfect living fulfillment of the law and a perfect sacrifice of His own flesh) is established and by the doing of God's will the One who offered Himself now sanctifies us "once for all" as opposed to "yearly (on the Day of Atonement) for all (Israel)". Now, by the Holy Spirit, chapter 10 continues, the law is written in our hearts.

The altar of Christ is the Most Holy Place in heaven. Hebrews 9:24, 25. The priest is Christ Himself. And, as on the Day of Atonement, the priests could not partake of any of the sacrifice personally, but what was left was burned outside the camp, Jesus was so taken outside the camp. Chapter 11 says, in a nutshell, have faith. Chapter 12 starts with the admonition to live in faith as those faithful forebears listed in chapter 11 did....not with the hope of a future revelation of a better priest and better sacrifice, but considering Jesus, "the author and finisher of our faith", who has already come and IS that fulfillment.

Pay attention to those early verses in ch. 12 that explain how Jesus endured the cross, despising the shame, because of the joy that was set before Him. Hearken back to Philippians 2:2-10 and Philippians 4, how Paul there "does the math" and declares that this world and its ways (which by the time whenever Hebrews was written would have included the now defunct temple sacrifices) are "dung" and that dying with Christ daily is far better than all this life and this world and this order of things may offer. Why? Because, as Paul said in Philippians 2, every knee shall bow and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord to the glory of God the Father. Because the glory of God is better than the passing glories of here. Cf. 1 Cor. 15.

Heb 12 says, then, that the true worship is not an earthly place that we can touch, but to the city of God, the heavenly Jerusalem. We see this same Jerusalem coming down from heaven in Revelation. There is a real promise wrapped securely in God's hand and in His purpose to have for Himself what He created. (Rev. 4:11). Chapter 12 finishes with the thought of then not refusing Him, but serving Him with awe and reverence and fear.

Ch 13 begins with the continuing thought of living out this fear and this life based on the completed work of Jesus and the promises He still holds for His people: "let brotherly love continue". This whole way of life in the opening verses of ch. 13 are as superior to the Judaist way as the sacrifice of Jesus Himself is to the bulls and goats of the OT Law. And, as the priests could not consume the offering on the Day of Atonement, but placed it outside the camp (v. 10) , the Hebrews (and we as well) leave behind any thought of our offering as efficacious for any reason. We can not be satisfied from our offering, we cannot take any fulfillment for ourselves from His. He alone, for the glory of God alone, fulfilled God's desires for us in Himself which we will know in the city to come (v. 14.)

2015/8/29 11:52Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Sandra:

I think the answer to your question about verse 10 is found in verse 12. I have partaken of the sacrifice of Christ. I am not under the law any more. I am now under the dispensation of grace.

Hebrews is written to Jewish believers who were being tempted through persecution to return in one form or another to the law. One of the main themes is the contrast between the two covenants. Those who are trying to please God through the keeping of the law with all of its animal sacrifices and ordinances have no part in the sacrifice of Jesus Christ. Those who have received righteousness and grace through Christ should not return to the carnal sacrifices that were only types of what was to come and is now here.

2015/8/29 16:02Profile

Re:

Romans 9:8
That is, They which are the children of the flesh, these are not the children of God: but the children of the promise are counted for the seed.

Romans 9:31
But Israel, which followed after the law of righteousness, hath not attained to the law of righteousness.

Romans 10:2-4
For I bear them record that they have a zeal of God, but not according to knowledge. For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God. For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth.

Romans 10:21
But to Israel he saith, All day long I have stretched forth my hands unto a disobedient and gainsaying people.

Romans 11:9-10
And David saith, Let their table be made a snare, and a trap, and a stumblingblock, and a recompence unto them: Let their eyes be darkened, that they may not see, and bow down their back alway.

Referring to Hebrews 13:10, that which is done within the "Gate", is fleshly and those within earthly Jerusalem rejected the Messiah who died outside the Gate or "outside the camp". The "camp" is where those things that are esteemed by man are. The religious system, political system, etc. Outside the camp is not usually where "respectable" people or people that want to be respected will be. But Jesus is outside the camp and that is where He can be found. He is also our "altar", and only the children of the Spirit can eat from this altar.

The table of the religious has become a snare and not a place of spiritual nourishment or sustenance. Christ, our table, prepared for us in the wilderness of this world (outside the camp) will sustain us.

2015/8/29 17:30
brothagary

Re:

I would say that verse would refuring to either the scarificial bread that was not aloud to be eaten ,or maby the yearly scarifice mabey , ,where as now Christ is the lamb of God and the bread of life ,and we all have right to eat of that offering .

2015/8/29 17:45Profile
JFW

Dothan, Alabama

Hi Sister Sandra,
Do you think perhaps the "altar" in this passage might simply be the cross, which is why those serving in the tabernacles would not rightfully partake of?

2015/8/29 19:18Profile

Re:

"As in the typical, legal dispensation, so it is now. There is but one altar upon which the holy Lord God meets sinners in mercy, only one altar upon which God can and will be worshipped; and that Altar is Christ.

Proposition: The altar of sacrifice, in the tabernacle and in the temple, was typical of our Lord Jesus Christ, (his Person, his work, and his merit), as our Substitute before God. This is what Paul is teaching us in our text – The only access which sinners have to God, and the only acceptance we have with God is Christ our Altar.

Our Altar is in heaven. We recognize no altar upon the earth. He who has an Altar in heaven needs no altar upon the earth. He who has an altar upon the earth has no altar in heaven. The Holy Spirit tells us this plainly.—"We have an altar, whereof they have no right to eat which serve the tabernacle.""

Read the rest: http://www.donfortner.com/sermon_notes/58_hebrews-series/heb%20096%2013v10%20Christ%20Our%20Altar.htm

2015/8/29 19:54
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

This is the conclusion I am coming to after reading the responses here.

Appreciate y'all taking the time to share.

Thanks and God bless.

Sandra

2015/8/30 8:31Profile

©2002-2021 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy