SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Prophetic credentials

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
GaryE

Mifflinburg, Pennsylvania

Prophetic credentials

It's a blessing to read the notes to these posts.

Somewhere in my past I remember someone saying that there are two kinds of prophesying. It was said that one was forthtelling {speaking things that would happen in the future} and the other was or is preaching. If this is so then the Old testiment prophets would most often be thought of as being forthtellers. Also, I read somewhere that the books of the bible were believe to be inspired because the prophecies came true.

It seems to me that the church of Corinth wasn't experiencing an over abundance of forthtelling as much as they were of people just speaking out of order, whether it be tounges and or prophesying.
With this said, we are told that prophesying edifies the church. {1 Corinthians 14}.....
It also says these things must be done decently and in order. Too many people today want everyone to hear what they have to say. What they say may be true but out of order. At the small interdenominational chapel where I attend, people come in and want to take over. Often it is the supposedly mature Spirit filled person that does this and it is not of God.

As far as this prophesy thread, someone wrote that he can't just turn prophesying on and off. That's obviously because prophesy doesn't come from man it comes from the Holy Spirit. One preacher said if I could turn it on with a switch it would be on all the time. God doesn't let me have the switch so that I will continue to go to him in prayer.

Talk about threads, the bible has a thread through it having to do with repentance. The harshness of the Old Testiment prophets was most often followed with a pleading to turn to God. God's written word as a whole is about God's way for fallen man, all of us, to turn to or return to him. The whole Word is about this way, Jesus crucified and taking our sins upon himself so that we can turn or return to God. God wants all of us to be restored to him, even my enemy.

God is exhaulted and Jesus is lifted up when any person turns to God in genuine repentance. There is joy in heaven over one person that repenteth. more than over ninety and nine just persons that need no repentance. Paul wrote in 1 Corinthians chapter 11, "examine yourselves." John wrote to Christians, "if we confess our sins he is faithfull and just to forgive us our sins and cleanse us from all unrightousness." Luke wrote, concerning the publican, "this man went down to his house justified rather than the other."

As far as the gifts of the Spirit go, It seems to me that as Paul said, to some he gave....... to others he gave...... However, in my personal life it seems there have been times something happened that might be a gift that I'm not normally walking in. Once I spoke to a man and told him that he didn't have to go to hell, don't believe him. The guy runs out the door at a truckstop as quick as he could. The enemy fled and no one pursued. He was in witchcraft. It's a long story.

A lot of people speak about the Glory. Sometimes I wonder if they themselves ever saw the Glory. The prophet Moses in Exodus 34:6+7 tells exactly what he saw. Have you seen the Glory described here? The thread is all about Jesus.

:
..:..
:
:
: GaryE

One more thing, recently while reading about Charles Finney, I read that Finney used the pronoun you instead of the word they that was usually spoken by the preachers of his day. Apparently, Finney would often speak very harsh words concerning hell and judgement. This reminded me of some of the notes that were written about prophets. The author then added that as the message was ending he would lovingly plead with the people. He was genuinely burdened for the lost and would often plead with tears in his eyes. George Whitefield apparently did the same.

2005/5/6 4:11Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy