SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : "He always lives to make intercession..."

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
TMK

NC, USA

"He always lives to make intercession..."

Hebrews 7:23-25 "The former priests were many in number, because they were prevented by death from continuing in office, but he holds his priesthood permanently, because he continues forever. Consequently, he is able to save to the uttermost those who draw near to God through him, since he always lives to make intercession for them."

My interest in this passage stems from the last verse, which caught my eye today like it never had before.

In what respect must Jesus "always live" to make intercession?

This seems to imply that Jesus will need to be making intercession forever. If so, for whom?

2015/8/28 15:05Profile
JFW

Dothan, Alabama

Re: "He always lives to make intercession..."

The KJV reads a lil dif and seems not to have as strong an implication that it would be forever but in every way possible so long as it is applicable. At least that's how I understand it. Wouldn't make much sense to continue literally forever as in after the GWT judgment.
This verse is very important as we are told that as Jesus is (presently) so should we be,... and if He ever liveth to make intercession, isn't that what we should be doing as well?

2015/8/28 17:03Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

KJV: Hebrews 7:25 Wherefore he is able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by him, seeing he ever liveth to make intercession for them.

I don't see the difference- it's just the awkward "ever liveth" vs the clearer "always lives."

But please oh please I don't want this thread to turn into another KJV debate!

So the question remains- if part of Jesus' eternal purpose is to make intercession for "them," who is them?

2015/8/28 18:15Profile
rufnrust

Indiana

Since Hebrews is much about comparing the old and the new, we can see here that the 'former priests' died and had to pass on the duties of the priesthood to the next priest. This priesthood is established after the 'power of an endless life'
Heb 7:16. Since He offered Himself once and sat down, we know it is finished. The 'former priest' were never finished. But 'This man' Hallelujah!, is offering perfect intercession and will never pass it on to anyone else (of course we have fellowship with Him in this labor of intercession). I believe it is just saying that there will be no replacement, for His priesthood is not transferable. I would think the ministry of intercession will have an end once the end of the age is fulfilled.

Love to see the book of Hebrews brother!

Russell

2015/8/28 18:35Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Quote:
This seems to imply that Jesus will need to be making intercession forever. If so, for whom?

It does seem to indicate that His priestly role for us will last forever. Even in our glorified state we will still need that activity on our behalf. If ever the blood of Jesus Christ should lose its power then even heaven couldn't help us. Thank God for an eternal priesthood!

In Christ,

2015/8/28 19:38Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Amen to that!

Thanks for all the comments.

2015/8/28 20:01Profile
JFW

Dothan, Alabama

Re:

Ha! Brother Todd,
I assure you that's the last thing I'd want-
Was simply comparing the verbiage,... Having said that and to your original question- whom could Christ make intercession and why would he need to?
That would (to me) seem unnecessary, no?

2015/8/28 20:23Profile

Re:

Quote:
by TMK on 2015/8/28 18:15:10

KJV: Hebrews 7:25 Wherefore he is able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by him, seeing he ever liveth to make intercession for them.

So the question remains- if part of Jesus' eternal purpose is to make intercession for "them," who is them?

"them" is "us". The Church!

Luke 22:31 And the Lord said, Simon, Simon, behold, Satan hath desired to have you, that he may sift you as wheat:
Luke 22:32 But I have prayed for thee, that thy faith fail not: and when thou art converted, strengthen thy brethren.

The Lord knows what is taking place in the unseen realm. Notice, that He knows what Satan is even desiring and probably requested this of the Lord.

Notice Jesus prays that Peter's faith, does not fail.

This is what is needed in these days: FAITH, which unbelief, undermines.

2015/8/28 23:08
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Hey Julius

I agree it is the church- the question is why must he intercede forever, even after the resurrection?

2015/8/29 0:00Profile

Re:

After the resurrection, Satan is still the Accuser of the brethren day and night. Just as Satan accused Job, he accuses us. It is comforting to know that Jesus is withstanding his accusations to the Father. A true priestly mediator, "never slumbering or sleeping". Men are weak and will fail at intercession and cannot watch over us 24x7x365. It is good to know we have One "that ever liveth", contrasted with earthly priests that die.

He is continuing to function as our eternal Savior.

He is the "better" Mediator of a "better" covenant.

1 John 2:1, “But if anyone does sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous.”

John is speaking to believers, but he is not claiming that we need to be saved every time we sin. His sacrifice is once and for all time. But if we do sin we have one, namely Jesus Christ, who, on the basis of his death, calls attention to his perfect righteousness in defense of the saints against the Accuser of the Brethren.

Jesus Christ is actively engaged as our Advocate.

His prayers and intercession are paid for in blood and there is no greater assurance for the Christian than Christ as their Mediator and Advocate. Not Mary or anyone else, but Christ alone.

2015/8/29 7:15

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy