SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Watchman, what of the night?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Lor_E

Montana USA

Watchman, what of the night?

WHAT OF THE NIGHT?

The burden (the load being carried, that which has weighed us down often times by the Holy Spirit though that weight we might not comprehend; nor why it seems to hang in the periphery of our hearts and minds, like a nagging ache or persistent question. We realize perhaps our great desire to understand not merely a load we wish to unpack; but the reason why we feel it is so undefined.)

of Dumah (-silence, thought to be a son of Ishmael; yet perhaps those that are silent, those who have no voice, the beduin who travels calling no one place his home; who bears no great influence on the power structures of this world. Instead he is one whose voice is carried in the wind, who cries out from a far away land.).
He calls to me out of Seir,
'Watchman, what of the night?
(again) Watchman, what of the night?

The watchman said,
The morning comes,
and also the night:
if you will inquire,
inquire yourselves then:
return,
come.
KJV
(The burden of Dumah, he calls unto me out of Seir,
Watchman, what was in the night? Watchman, what was in the night?
The watchman said, The morning comes, and also the night. If ye will as he, inquire: return and come. IS 21:11-12 gnv)

Matthew Henry :
We must see all creature confidences failing us,
and feel them breaking under us, that we may not lay more weight upon them than they will bear.....
A question put by an Edomite (as many consider this "Dumah" to be) to the watchman. Some one or other called out of Seir,
somebody that was more concerned for the public safety and welfare than the rest, who were generally careless and secure.....

so this man of Mount Seir, in a vision, desired the prophet to inform and instruct them. He calls not many; it is well there are any, that all are not alike unconcerned about the things that belong to the public peace. Some out of Seir
ask advice of God’s prophets, and are willing to be taught, when many of God’s Israel heed nothing.

The question is serious: What of the night? It is put to a proper person, the watchman, whose office it is to answer such enquiries. He repeats the question, as one in care, as one in earnest, and desirous to have an answer.
God’s prophets and ministers are appointed to be watchmen, and we are to look upon them as such. They are as watchmen in the city in a time of peace, to see that all be safe, to knock at every door by personal enquiries ("Is it locked? Is the fire safe?’’),
to direct those that are at a loss,
and check those that are disorderly. They are as watchmen in the camp in time of war, Eze. 33:7 .
They are to take notice of the motions of the enemy and to give notice of them, to make discoveries and then give warning; and in this they must deny themselves.
It is our duty to enquire of the watchmen, especially to ask again and again, What of the night? for watchmen wake when others sleep.
What time of the night? After a long sleep in sin and security, is it not time to rise, high time to awake out of sleep? Rom. 13:11 .
We have a great deal of work to do, a long journey to go; is it not time to be stirring?
"Watchman, what o’clock is it? After a long dark night is there any hope of the day dawning?’’
What tidings of the night? What from the night?
so some (also some may say); "what vision has the prophet had to-night? We are ready to receive it.’’ Or, rather, "What occurs to night? What weather is it? What news?’’
We must expect an alarm, and never be secure. The day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; we must prepare to receive the alarm, and resolve to keep our ground, and then take the first hint of danger, and to our arms presently, to our spiritual weapons.

The watchman’s answer to this question. The watchman was neither asleep nor dumb; though it was a man of Mount Seir (a stranger and foreigner to the the people of Israel) that called to him, he was ready to give him an answer:
The morning comes.
He answers, By way of prediction: "There comes first a morning of light, and peace, and opportunity;
you will enjoy one day of comfort more; but afterwards comes a night of trouble and calamity.’

Note, In the course of God’s providence it is usual that morning and night are counterchanged and succeed each other.
Is it night? Yet the morning comes, and the Day-spring knows His place, Ps. 30:5.
Is it day? Yet the night comes also.
If there be a morning of youth and health, there will come a night of sickness and old age; if a morning of prosperity in the family, in the public, yet we must look for changes.
But God usually gives a morning of opportunity before he sends a night of calamity, that his own people may be prepared for the storm and others left inexcusable.

By way of excitement: If you will enquire, enquire.
Note, It is our wisdom to improve the present morning in preparation for the night that is coming after it.

"Enquire, return, come. Be inquisitive, be penitent, be willing and obedient.’’ The manner of expression is very observable, for we are put to our choice what we will do: "If you will enquire, enquire; if not, it is at your peril; you cannot say but you have a fair offer made you.’’ We are also urged to be at a point: "If you will, say so, and do not stand pausing; what you will do do quickly, for it is no time to trifle.’’ Those that return and come to God will find they have a great deal of work to do and but a little time to do it in, and therefore they have need to be busy. Excerpts from Matthew Henry's Commentary on Isaiah 21

(I will bless the Lord, who hath given me counsel: my reins also instruct me in the night seasons. Psalm 16:7)

(So it is that point. It HAS BEEN that point for some time!
Seek the Lord and LIVE!
TURN, and be healed!
HEAR with your ears and understand with your heart!
This moment that have right now MUST BE REDEEMED!
IT MUST be appropriated for preparation of your soul.
For readying yourselves for the difficult times ahead; regardless of what those times may hold!
Those that do NOT heed the warning of the night, may well find themselves wandering into a trap.)

In the twilight, in the evening, in the black and dark night:
(As the light begins to fade,
and darkness covers the face of the deep.
That dark night missing even the light of the moon, which is the expression of the church,
and stars, set in the night sky for guidance and direction.
That black and dark night where lions love to hunt, seeking them whom they may devour.
Where it is impossible to see where you walk unless you have a light; and even then it does not carry far, just a few inches away from where you currently are; you can not see further than yourself, you can not see what lies ahead in the dark.)

Say to wisdom, You are my sister; and call understanding your kinswoman (your near relative):
That they may keep you from the strange woman, from the stranger which flatters with her words.
For at the window of my house I looked through my casement, and beheld among the simple ones,
I discerned among the youths, a young man void of understanding,
Passing through the street near her corner;
and he went the way to her house (whether he chose to go that way or merely ambled along into the path matters not, the fact is that he came near to the place where sin lurked), in the twilight, in the evening, in the black and dark night:

And, behold, there met him a woman with the attire of an harlot,
(Doesn't the world seek to steal your attention by those "attractive" things, those things which appeal to your lower and base nature? We seem to be surrounded by the harlot on every hand. Everywhere I go, in the grocery store, the gas station and even in the church are women whose clothing is not becoming holiness and one who is expressing godliness! On the most part if they even change from their day to day clothes for work and play they look like the world. A pastor I know of posted an article about Christian women wearing "yoga" pants which leave little to the imagination and I quoted some verses about how a godly woman should dress and there were those that called themselves Christians, who attend church regularly who were offended and thought it was a man's mind which was the issue. I said yes, a man must guard his mind, and a woman must dress according to godliness so that she is not an offense to her husband and to her Lord! My husband told me that several years ago we attended a local "full gospel" church and had never been so pursued by so many women in one place. Something is wrong when the harlot is allowed to sit in the church without ever realizing her sins; without ever feeling conviction, without ever feeling uncomfortable!)

and subtle of heart (having a hidden agenda).
She is loud and stubborn;
her feet abide not in her house:
Now is she without, now in the streets, and lies in wait at every corner.
So she caught him, and kissed him,
and with an impudent (brash) face said to him,
I have peace offerings with me; this day have I payed my vows.
(Oh, see, I am religious too! I try to be a good person and do the good things they say to do.)
Therefore came I out to meet you, diligently to seek your face, and I have found you.
(I have been waiting just for you)
I have decked my bed with coverings of tapestry, with carved works, with fine linen of Egypt.
(I am wealthy and have ease and comfort)
I have perfumed my bed with myrrh, aloes, and cinnamon.
(everything around me smells divine)
Come, let us take our fill of love until the morning: let us solace ourselves with loves. (I can fulfill your desires and those things that are forbidden)
For the goodman is not at home, he is gone a long journey: (I have no authority over me, I do as I wish, at the moment)
He has taken a bag of money with him, and will come home at the day appointed. (as the Lord will also)

With her much fair speech she caused him to yield,
with the flattering of her lips she forced him.
He went after her straightway, as an ox goes to the slaughter, or as a fool to the correction of the stocks;
Till a dart strike through his liver; as a bird runs to the snare, and knows not that it is for his life.

Hearken unto me now therefore, O ye children, and attend to the words of my mouth.
Let not thine heart decline to her ways, go not astray in her paths.
For she has cast down many wounded:
yes, many strong men have been slain by her.
Her house is the way to hell, going down to the chambers of death.
Proverbs 7:4-27

(When I remember thee upon my bed, and meditate on thee in the night watches. Psalm 63:6)

(So what happens in the night seasons, that grey fading to black, that time of the loss of conscience, of purpose and of power and influence of a unified, holy people?)

and it was night
(He then, Judas- that son of perdition, having received bread dipped in gravy from the Lord went immediately out of the presence of this holy meeting with Jesus, out from communion with Christ, out from the safety of the covering of Christ to do what he thought was his own will yet it was truly the will of the devil:

When Jesus had said this, He was troubled in spirit, and testified, and said,
Verily, verily (Of truth!), I say unto you, that one of you shall betray me.
Then the disciples looked one on another, wondering of whom He spoke.
Now there was leaning on Jesus' bosom one of his disciples, whom Jesus loved.
Simon Peter therefore beckoned to him, that he should ask who it should be of whom He spake.

He then lying on Jesus' breast said to Him,
Lord, who is it?
Jesus answered, He it is, to whom I shall give a sop, when I have dipped it.
And when he had dipped the sop, he gave it to Judas Iscariot, the son of Simon.
And after the sop Satan entered into him.
Then said Jesus unto him, What you do, do quickly.....

He then having received the sop went immediately out:
and it was night.

(Oh, how darkened is the soul which thinks of himself and his ways more highly than those things taught him by the Lord! That his own way is somehow better, somehow more applicable to today's sensibilities.

How dark is the path that one takes of betrayal, to their own hearts, when one takes upon himself to direct the path of God! The Lord said to Peter after Peter had taken Jesus aside and said, "No, not so Lord." He said to Peter, "Get thee behind me Satan!". What havoc is free to cause destruction when one allows bitterness or selfish interest to overwhelm their faith!
Though the Lord's death was foreordained and absolutely necessary for the redemption of mankind, Judas did not turn to repent in tears as did Peter; instead the one to whom he surrendered himself took all that he had, even his own life, when the sorrows and the intensity of his own self inflicted mistakes had sunk in.)
John 13:21-30

(I call to remembrance my song in the night: I commune with mine own heart: and my spirit made diligent search. Psalms 77:6)

The night is far spent....

And that, knowing the time,
that now it is high time
to awake out of sleep:
for now is our salvation nearer than when we believed.
The night is far spent,
the day is at hand:
let us therefore cast off the works of darkness,
and let us put on the armor of light.
Let us walk honestly,
as in the day;
not in rioting and drunkenness,
not in chambering (sleeping around, going to bed for the purpose of fornication and adultery)
and wantonness (living an excessive lifestyle, in unbridled lusts and not caring about anything but filling your own desires much like the harlot in the above Proverbs 7 chasing after what you wish to and wanting constant fulfillment),

not in strife and envying.
But put on yourselves the Lord Jesus Christ,
and make no provision for the flesh, to fulfill the lusts thereof.
Romans 13:11-14

(I have remembered thy name, O Lord, in the night, and have kept thy law. Psalms 119:55)

But you, brethren, are not in darkness, that that day should overtake you as a thief.
You are all the children of light,
and the children of the day:
we are not of the night,
nor of darkness.
Therefore let us not sleep, as do others;
but let us watch and be sober.
For they that sleep sleep in the night;
and they that be drunken are drunken in the night.
But let us, who are of the day, be sober,
putting on the breastplate of faith and love;
and for an helmet, the hope of salvation.
For God has not appointed us to wrath,
but to obtain salvation by our Lord Jesus Christ,
1 Thessalonians 5:4-9

Even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me.
If I say, Surely the darkness shall cover me; even the night shall be light about me.
Yes, the darkness hides not from You;
but the night shines as the day: the darkness and the light are both alike to You. Psalms 139:10-12

....until the Lord come, who both will bring to light the hidden things of darkness,
and will make manifest the counsels of the hearts.... 1 Corinthians 4:5

And there shall be no night there:

And I saw no temple in it:
for the Lord God Almighty and the Lamb are the temple of it.
And the city had no need of the sun,
neither of the moon, to shine in it:
for the glory of God did lighten it,
and the Lamb is the light thereof.
And the nations of them which are saved
shall walk in the light of it:
and the kings of the earth do bring their glory and honor into it.
And the gates of it shall not be shut at all by day: for there shall be no night there.....

And there shall be no more curse:
but the throne of God and of the Lamb shall be in it;
and His servants shall serve Him:
And they shall see His face;
and His name shall be in their foreheads.
And there shall be no night there;
and they need no candle,
neither light of the sun;
for the Lord God gives them light:
and they shall reign for ever and ever.
Revelation 21:22-25; 22:3-5

(....weeping may endure for a night, but joy cometh in the morning. Psalms 30:5b)

Watchman, what of the night?
Lo, the night is falling all around us; though we may yet still see some morning light, night comes again.
Night when no man can work.
A night, whose darkness can be felt.
Remove then that beam or splinter from your own eye; if your eye be unclear or cloudy, buy from Him eye salve that your eye may be healed.
That you can see, firstly, your own condition; and most importantly His righteous faithfulness towards all those who come to Him!

Do not be deceived as was the unlearned foolish lad, that fell under the sway of flattering lips and the ideas which seemed so attractive.
Neither be fooled by her charms and lovely things, that image she portrays; which is altogether a lie and not the truth; instead, behind that image lurks a raging lion, a rabid dog ready to tear apart your tender thoughts of wholesomeness, beauty and truth. A huge, bloated pig seeking to wound your conscience into silence, poison your mind to doubts and fears and murder what innocence may yet be left in your mind.

Be not deceived! Those who practice selfishness, rebellion, ambition, covetousness and indulgence are being led away from the communion meal, that intimate fellowship with Christ..
Careful, careful, OH, be careful, in those steps away from the words of Christ, seeking a better or easier way instead of that truth which tells you that not everything is easy, nor comfortable, nor popular! No, rather as He has said, You will be hated by all men for My sake; take up your cross and follow after Me!

Do not be afraid of their insults, their looks or their words; not even when they intend harm upon you, the spirit of grace and of glory rests on you; even as it did for the Faithful martyr from Pilgrim's Progress who, denying the 'Vanity Fair', gave up his own life, but left a testimony.

Know this, that within the minds of those whose hearts have been overcharged, calloused or splintered lies a Judas; that son of perdition, who sold out for 30 pieces of silver his own Lord. There are many which will say to you in this day: "Where is your love? Who is your God? How can you judge me?"

We judge not; but we must see clearly the path of the wicked,
the path of the unlearned who followed the steps which lead down into hell!
The steps on which Judas threw down the money on after he realized his wrong;
and the steps of the blinded whose eyes adjusted to the dark, but shrink back in the light.
In this way of truth and self examination, this highway of holiness, we must discern!
Not to condemn, but not to ignore the roar of that lion which seeks whom he may devour;
the stink of the swine who turn to trample over those who give away their precious pearl of great price;
and not to placate the maddening crowds which press in all around us.

This is the night which darkens at the door of sorrows; but joy comes in the morning!
When we shall see Him as He is, when there will be no more night, and sorrow and sighing will flee away!
Then HE will dry my tears!
Then HE will lead me to waters of life that flow from the throne, waters of life, whose refreshments are eternal!
And if you would only desire it,
if you are athirst COME, and take of this water of life freely!
He gives freely to all who come to Him, but do not neglect the call
"Lo, the Bridegroom cometh!"
We must be ready for that call with trimmed wicks and extra spiritual fuel for this extended dark period.

This is a dark night coming up ahead; but prepare your heart to seek the Lord, hold close to His Word, walk in His Light.
Keep His life, His death, burial and resurrection always before your face; He will keep you in this hour of the blackness of this night.

Inquire of HIM!
Be zealous and repent!
Walk, even as He walked!
Be ready in season and out!
Watch! and pray!

a message given to me in study over the course of a couple of weeks
I did not know what else to do with it, except share it, and hope that you know I do share this only in a spirit of hope. Hope that some will read it and be moved to further seek the face of their God. That we will ALL cry, as Keith Daniel has spoken, with one voice, and call for the reading of the book, the ENTIRE word of God. That in the position of being His people, called after the name of His only begotten Son will not only quote, but will practice: "If My people, which are called by My name will humble themselves; and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin, and I will heal their land."

2015/8/10 17:39Profile
followthelamb

In Christ

Online!
 Re: Watchman, what of the night?

Dear sister Lori,

Thank you for taking the time to post this thread.

From the OP:

"...And, behold, there met him a woman with the attire of an harlot,
(Doesn't the world seek to steal your attention by those "attractive" things, those things which appeal to your lower and base nature? We seem to be surrounded by the harlot on every hand...

...Do not be deceived as was the unlearned foolish lad, that fell under the sway of flattering lips and the ideas which seemed so attractive.
Neither be fooled by her charms and lovely things, that image she portrays; which is altogether a lie and not the truth; instead, behind that image lurks a raging lion, a rabid dog ready to tear apart your tender thoughts of wholesomeness, beauty and truth. A huge, bloated pig seeking to wound your conscience into silence, poison your mind to doubts and fears and murder what innocence may yet be left in your mind.

Be not deceived! Those who practice selfishness, rebellion, ambition, covetousness and indulgence are being led away from the communion meal, that intimate fellowship with Christ..
Careful, careful, OH, be careful, in those steps away from the words of Christ, seeking a better or easier way instead of that truth which tells you that not everything is easy, nor comfortable, nor popular! No, rather as He has said, You will be hated by all men for My sake; take up your cross and follow after Me!

Do not be afraid of their insults, their looks or their words; not even when they intend harm upon you, the spirit of grace and of glory rests on you; even as it did for the Faithful martyr from Pilgrim's Progress who, denying the 'Vanity Fair', gave up his own life, but left a testimony.

Know this, that within the minds of those whose hearts have been overcharged, calloused or splintered lies a Judas; that son of perdition, who sold out for 30 pieces of silver his own Lord. There are many which will say to you in this day: "Where is your love? Who is your God? How can you judge me?"

We judge not; but we must see clearly the path of the wicked,
the path of the unlearned who followed the steps which lead down into hell!
The steps on which Judas threw down the money on after he realized his wrong;
and the steps of the blinded whose eyes adjusted to the dark, but shrink back in the light.
In this way of truth and self examination, this highway of holiness, we must discern!
Not to condemn, but not to ignore the roar of that lion which seeks whom he may devour;
the stink of the swine who turn to trample over those who give away their precious pearl of great price;
and not to placate the maddening crowds which press in all around us.

This is the night which darkens at the door of sorrows; but joy comes in the morning!
When we shall see Him as He is, when there will be no more night, and sorrow and sighing will flee away!
Then HE will dry my tears!
Then HE will lead me to waters of life that flow from the throne, waters of life, whose refreshments are eternal!
And if you would only desire it,
if you are athirst COME, and take of this water of life freely!
He gives freely to all who come to Him, but do not neglect the call
"Lo, the Bridegroom cometh!"
We must be ready for that call with trimmed wicks and extra spiritual fuel for this extended dark period.

This is a dark night coming up ahead; but prepare your heart to seek the Lord, hold close to His Word, walk in His Light.
Keep His life, His death, burial and resurrection always before your face; He will keep you in this hour of the blackness of this night"

AMEN.

2015/10/18 1:06Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy