SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons :  God wants to fill you with His Holy Spirit

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread

Re:

Why are we just talking about what comes out of the mouth and not what takes place in the heart?

Imagine a man that is resentful in his heart towards his wife, and allows bitterness to grow, but manages to keep his tongue, yet does not deal with what is festering in his heart.

2015/8/11 11:31
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Re: God wants to fill you with His Holy Spirit

At one time I did believe that speaking in tongues was the evidence of being baptized in the Holy Spirit, but I have changed my thinking on this. God is not going to force anyone to speak in tongues, but praying in tongues is a precious gift, and I am so glad that I was introduced to Spirit filled believers early on in my Christian walk, and not believers that have been taught that speaking in tongues has either passed away or worse that it is of the devil.

Those that claim to be baptized in the Holy Spirit should not only be manifesting power in their walk with the Lord, but they should also be bringing forth the fruit of the Spirit.

The Holy Spirit empowers believers to fulfill their ministry, and He is the indwelling spirit that produces fruit.

After I was baptized in the Holy Spirit, I became more aware of my weaknesses and failures more than ever before. I also experienced greater temptations. When you look at the experience of Jesus, that after He was baptized by John the Baptist, and the Holy Spirit came upon Him, the Word says that He was led by the Spirit into the desert to be tempted of the devil. Praise God that He overcame the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, and because He lives in us, we can overcome also. Our victories will increase and our failures will decrease as we learn to walk in the Spirit, and fully avail ourselves of the finished work of the cross in putting the deeds of the flesh to death.

2015/8/12 8:26Profile
dolfan

Tennessee, but my home's in Alabama

Re:

True, Sree and Julius and good word, AbideinHim. Good stuff from all on this thread as we seek Him.

Just listened to Jim Cymbala on the Brooklyn Tabernacle podcast on the way into work. He recently preached on "The Promise", from John 7, where Jesus stands at the end of the Feast of Tabernacles and shouts that whoever is thirsty can believe in Him and come to Him and He will give them rivers of living water (the Holy Spirit) flowing from their innermost being.

This really is a promise. And, all of God's promises are yes and amen. Am I thirsting for Him? I say I am, and with all of my mind and soul and spirit, so far as I am aware, I do thirst for Him. But, I know there are recesses -- deep and not so deep -- that say, "No, I want control. I want to fret. I want to doubt. I want to question. I want to pursue this other thing." So, I come to Him again and say, "Lord, you promised in Isaiah that you would pour your Spirit on us like rivers on dry ground. Make me aware of my dryness so that I can surrender myself to you more fully. I want You."

Thank God for His promise to fill us.

2015/8/12 9:24Profile
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Re:

"This really is a promise. And, all of God's promises are yes and amen. Am I thirsting for Him? I say I am, and with all of my mind and soul and spirit, so far as I am aware, I do thirst for Him. But, I know there are recesses -- deep and not so deep -- that say, "No, I want control. I want to fret. I want to doubt. I want to question. I want to pursue this other thing." So, I come to Him again and say, "Lord, you promised in Isaiah that you would pour your Spirit on us like rivers on dry ground. Make me aware of my dryness so that I can surrender myself to you more fully. I want You."

The promise of God is that all those that hunger and thirst for righteousness shall be filled.

Many are not filled because they are not hungry and thirsty for God.

We have to quit looking at the Baptism of the Holy Spirit as being a one time experience. Sure, there is the initial filling of the Holy Spirit, but the scriptures admonish us to not be drunk with wine, but to be filled with the Holy Spirit. Literally, this means that there should be a continuous filling of the Holy Spirit. We don't just take one drink of the water of life, we must drink of this living water continually. We don't just eat once of the bread of life, but we must eat of this living bread every day.

To the degree that we have allowed the Holy Spirit to work in our lives and are empty of self, will be the degree that we are filled with the Holy Spirit. You can't fill a container with clear, pure water when it is filled with another substance. The container must be emptied, cleansed, and then it can be filled. We are the vessels that God is cleansing so that we can be vessels of honor. We come to Him empty of our own self life and desire that He would fill us with Himself.

2015/8/12 10:08Profile

Re:

The Baptism of the Holy Spirit is only a doorway to the "deeper life". It is not an end in itself. Many camp out at Salvation, while others camp out at the Baptism in the Holy Spirit. There are denominations known for these "camps", but the baptism in the Holy Spirit is not meant to be the "end of the road", but rather the beginning.

It is the purging fire of the Holy Spirit as well as the "rivers of living water". The gift, is rightly called, "dunamis", for Jesus said, "Ye shall receive power", and this is the power of the Holy Spirit to overcome the flesh, sin and the Devil.

2015/8/12 13:13

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy