SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Taking up our Cross daily

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Sree

Taking up our Cross daily

Luke 9:23- “If anyone wishes to come after Me, he must deny himself, and take up his cross DAILY and follow Me."

I wanted to see if we can have this thread dedicated to our day today need of carrying our cross and follow Jesus. We can post our experience each day this way encourage one another. Bible says that we do not face a situation that is uncommon for other brothers. Hence the comfort that we received in our daily battle might encourage another! There are many silent visitors to this forum, they may not post their experience, but will be encouraged by reading ours.

To start with I want to explain what Jesus meant by taking up the Cross daily. It means to deny our will and to do God's will. Cross is a symbol that when my will crosses God's will, I do his will. Everyday we are expected to live this way and follow Jesus. Everyday we are tempted to do our will, but God is faithful to rescue us.

We may not be 100% honest about our temptations in this forum. We can hide things that are unessential or might cause others to stumble.

2015/8/5 9:40Profile
Sree

Re: Taking up our Cross daily

I met a friend today in my workplace, he was asking about my progress in work. I too asked him the same and asked about his promotion. It appears that he got the promotion which was not granted to me. God gave me grace to accept that unless it is granted from Heaven a man can receive nothing. So I was able to resist the lust and jealously that comes naturally to this fallen flesh! Praise be to God.

Later I discussed with him about an offer that I turned down. He was shocked by my decision and told I should not have done that. His advice shook me and put me in deep thoughts. I was anxious about the decision that I took. But later continuous meditation of God's promises put me to rest. I kept thinking how even hairs in my head are numbered. So the spirit of anxiousness left me! I am free again. Praise God.

2015/8/5 9:50Profile
dolfan

Tennessee, but my home's in Alabama

Re:

I have anxieies to mortify too Sree. This month presents a work challenge for me the likes of which I haven't yet had. It is a situation that is truly grim and I will leave it there. Meanwhile I am being run to and for in many directions by people who have no regard for my time.

I have prayed and heard God in my spirit say to yield to it. So I am. Whatever He is working into me, out of me, or through me to someone else, He is sovereign in all of His ways and just and right and faithful. My own desires mean nothing and I seek Him to continue to make nothing of me. It is a painful thing to die but His life is everything. He gives grace. He gives life. He is true and faithful.

2015/8/5 11:23Profile
Sree

Re:

Yes Brother, We have to take anxieties serious. Jesus clearly warned against it. Apostle Paul warned Philippians against this. I see anxiety as an evil Spirit, that can be driven only by faith in God's promises.

I want to encourage others to participate in this thread as well. We all face different issues daily to take up the cross. Many of us may be having such common battles through which we can encourage one another.

2015/8/6 1:20Profile
Sree

Re:

Driving in Indian roads definitely requires taking up the cross. Today starting from my home till my workplace which is hardly 7 miles distance took close to an hour for me today (that too after taking plenty of short cuts and driving on roadless paths to avoid jam packed roads). All because of poor roads and poor traffic management. All the way I was battling the thoughts on why I should pay tax to this heathen nation that does not care to provide even basic necessities to their tax paying citizens. The Spirit kept telling me to give to Caesar what he belongs to him. But I was telling that Caesar would have been a better king than the selfish Indian politicians who ruin this nation. Finally took up the cross anyway.

2015/8/6 1:29Profile
dolfan

Tennessee, but my home's in Alabama

Re:

I am selfish before God. He knows my innermost thoughts. Too easily to fret and worry, my heart is too easily distracted from faith and His Word and set on circumstances.

Last night for the second time in a month I had a dream of being on my way to court for work only to be inexplicably sidetracked and partially unclothed. Files disappeared from my briefcase. My tie disappeared. I was suddenly searching for a shirt. An old sister in the Lord came by with my tie and shook it like a bedsheet and it fluffed out REALLY wide and I said "Oh no, it is ruined. I can't wear that into court." Chaos, and meanwhile the judge was in the courtroom calling the docket and I was missing it.

It was similar to a dream from several weeks back but not exactly the same.

Needless to day, I am in job stress. So is my wife. This whole month is crazy with stuff. Please say a prayer for me!

2015/8/6 10:07Profile
onemite

Re:

At the end of many days I realize that I have failed to slow down to see opportunities that may have come for me to deny myself and take up a cross.

Just as His mercies are fresh and new each morning, so are opportunities. I pray today my eyes will be open to them and that I remember the joy set before me to choose rightly.
When I am tempted to have loose lips for the sake of "relating to others" in conversation, I pray to find alternative ways of communication.

I pray to remember that small things DO matter, and that I will not fall into rationalizing in favor of my flesh.
I pray to be an outstanding wife to my husband in God's eyes and a gentle but not passive mother to my children who are still living with me but nearly grown.

2015/8/8 11:49Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re: Taking up our Cross daily

Lately I have noticed that there is so so much bad news being reported that fear has been creeping in and despair over the spiritual state of things. I believe the enemy uses the media to weaken our strength and faith. So I decided to do a media "fast" this past week and have been wonderfully helped as a result.

Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8)

In Christ,

2015/8/9 18:04Profile
Sree

Re:

Quote:

At the end of many days I realize that I have failed to slow down to see opportunities that may have come for me to deny myself and take up a cross.

Just as His mercies are fresh and new each morning, so are opportunities. I pray today my eyes will be open to them and that I remember the joy set before me to choose rightly.

Yes Sister, many times the test already over before we realize it. It takes very discerning eyes to find out such tests and overcome them by His Grace.

2015/8/10 0:58Profile
Sree

Re:

My cross in recent days were to overcome lack of discipline. This is something I have struggled all my life. I was raised in a family background were boys were given a kings treatment. I am not used to doing my own day today activities like washing dress, cleaning my room etc. Always my sisters did them for me.

I cannot tell that as an excuse to my lack of discipline, because when I am born again God has not given us a spirit of timidity, but of power and love and DISCIPLINE.

Past week I was very lethargic in getting up early, hence I cut short my morning time with God. This did not help me spiritually. I want to take up my cross in this area and bring discipline in waking up early, seeking his word and then face with world with this grace!

2015/8/10 1:08Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy