Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : An Audience of One

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
followthelamb

In Christ

Online!
 An Audience of One

Yesterday I looked up the hymn entitled "My Jesus, I Love Thee" and found it was written by a sixteen year old Canadian named William Featherston in 1862, not long after his conversion to Christ. On CyberHymnal it also has the story below as told by Ira D. Sankey...and I just praise God for this testimony and others like it. It is so uplifting to read of those who were willing to relinquish the friendship of the world in order to live for an audience of One, our Crucified, soon coming King...

"A famous actress, walking down the street, passed an open door, through which she saw an invalid girl laying on a couch watching people pass by. Thinking to cheer. her up, she went inside. The sick girl was a devout Christian. The actress, impressed with her words, her patience, her submission, her heaven-lit countenance, and the manner in which she lived her religion, was lead to seriously consider the claims of Christianity. She was thoroughly converted and became a true follower of Christ. She told her father, the leader of the theater troupe, of her conversion and her conviction that she could not live a consistent Christian life and still be an actress. Her father was upset, attempting to convince her that their living would be lost and their business ruined if she persisted. Because she loved her father dearly, she consented to fill the published engagement set for a few days from then, of which she was the star. The play was set to go on. That evening came and the father rejoiced that he had won back his daughter and their living was not to be lost. However, as the actress came out on stage to the applause of the large audience, she stepped forward. A light beamed from her beautiful face. To the now-silent audience she repeated:

‘My Jesus, I love Thee, I know Thou art mine;
For Thee all the follies of sin I resign;
My gracious Redeemer, my Savior art Thou;
If ever I loved Thee, my Jesus, ‘tis now.’

Through Christ she had conquered. She left with the audience in tears, and retired from the stage, never to appear on it again. But through this, her father was converted. Through their combined evangelistic labors, many were led to Christ."

2015/7/30 18:51Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: An Audience of One

Beautiful!

2015/7/30 19:57Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy