SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Decline of public prayer and prophesy in church meetings

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Re:

There is definitely a decline in prayer in
most churches today.

There have been preachers of large churches
and ministries that have said that they were
too busy to pray.

Jesus said: "My House shall be called a
house of prayer." (Matthew 21:13).

Prayer should not be relegated to a few
elderly folks, but pastors and leaders
should be setting an example for their
flock and leading the prayer meetings
in their churches or at least attending
them.

God can do much more through the
corporate prayer of believers than any
program that man has come up with.

2015/7/29 11:34Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re:

I always admired Times Square Church. Every meeting on Sunday, you see ALL the ministers seated there and at all the prayer meetings and they have 3 meetings a day(?) on Sunday. I heard David Wilkerson say in a sermon once that if a deacon/elder didn't show up for a prayer meeting, he wouldn't be a deacon/elder for long!!

2015/7/29 19:07Profile
Theophila

Re:

On a side note, we visited a church some weeks ago. A few hours later, two well-dressed men showed up at our door from the church.
We ended up having a nice visit with them. When they were wrapping up the visit, we asked if they would pray with us. They were surprised at the request!

Thankfully, they did pray.

I was taught that when believers gather together, they pray. I think we need to recover such teaching again. Folks just need to be taught to be ready and willing to pray any and everywhere again. Even amongst folks who love Jesus, it really takes some doin' to get them a-prayin'.

Also, when did congregational praying out-loud give way to one-by-one praying?

2015/8/8 19:36Profile

Re:

"God can do much more through the corporate prayer of believers than any program that man has come up with."

Martin Luther said: " i have a lot of work to do today - therefore i need to pray a lot today "

Peter Deyneka encouraged the Lord’s people to pray for the opening of the Soviet Union for the preaching of the Gospel. His motto became, “Much prayer, much power. Little prayer, little power. No prayer, no power!” His powerful preaching resulted in the nickname, “Peter Dynamite.”(Source: SGA website)

Because prayer is so powerful it always seems a bit of a struggle. I clearly remember one of my first Bible studies as a new believer more than 30 years ago. The study went from 7:30 to 9pm.Shortly before 9pm the leader asked if two people could quickly pray so that we could finish on time. As soon as the study finished some members turned on the TV and watched some "important" Hollywood program.

Now I urge you, brethren, by our Lord Jesus Christ and by the love of the Spirit, to strive together with me in your prayers to God for me (Romans 15:30)

2015/8/9 3:55

Re:

Along with prayer, there is a decline in fasting.

Mark 9:29 And he said unto them, This kind can come forth by nothing, but by prayer and FASTING.

You don't hear much anymore about fasting.

2015/8/10 8:39
RogerB

Bruceton TN

Re: Decline in prayer

Carter Conlon answered this question today Aug 16.
Noon Sermon "When someone decides to pray".
Moses moved his taberbnacle away from the common message and sought God's presence away from the others. We can't rest on our plans, programs and accomplishments.

2015/8/16 11:58Profile

Re:

Carter Conlon: One of the few genuine men of God that lead a mega church and a Canadian eh? And his associate pastors are cut from the same cloth.

2015/8/16 12:21
Theophila

Re: Decline of public prayer and prophesy in church meetings

What if, each of us, depending on relationship with head pastor/elder, gently suggests avenues for public prayer in our churches/fellowships?
1] I have noticed many churches dismiss children after worship music. How about suggesting the congregation pray for the children before they are sent away?

2] Once a month, pray for wedding anniversaries and birthdays in that month.

3] If the pastors/elders are game, once a month, pray for them and their families.

4] Once a month [hehe, that makes 2 Sundays in a month, if you follow [2] above], pray for churches in your state. Almost everyone complains about spiritual decay in America, but how many people actually pray for her churches, the pillar and ground of Truth?

Each of these ideas shouldn't take more than 10 minutes and will help make congregational prayer more feasible...

What say ye?

2015/8/16 16:28Profile
RogerB

Bruceton TN

Re: decline of prayer

This article is from 2010. This is good:
http://acalltotheremnant.com/is-there-a-desperate-cry-in-the-land/

2015/8/17 21:44Profile
brothagary

Re:

Theoplia I think thats putting the cart before the horse what about once a month we tell the paster to call a solom assembly and fast for tow of three days and pray for revival ,,,out of this when a revival comes others areas are stagnate will begin to operate with unction

2015/8/21 7:12Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy