SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Does God Really Have a ‘Special’ Relationship with America?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Does God Really Have a ‘Special’ Relationship with America?

Interesting article to read:

---

A recent survey indicates that more than half of Americans believe that the United States claims a special relationship with God. Unfortunately, the survey didn’t require those asked to give any biblical or theological rationale for this belief.

While Christians should not expect those outside of the Church to care about theological acumen, could the Church be at least partially to blame for the popularity of this idea? After all, a great number of evangelical churches hold patriotic-themed services on or around holidays such as the Fourth of July and Memorial Day. In doing so, we seem to be causing blurred lines when it comes to Church and country.

Scripture leads us away from this idea that God has a special relationship with the United States—or any other contemporary nation-state for that matter.

Don’t Go Backward
To desire that God enters into a covenant relationship with any modern-day nation is to walk backward in salvation history (Galatians 4:3,9). We dare not go back to the types and shadows of theocratic and cultic orders when we now have the substance to which they pointed (Hebrews 10:1; Colossians 2:16-17). That’d be like paying to see a trailer after watching the movie. Or, it’d be like our returning to animal sacrifices even after Jesus once and for all accomplished the redemption of His trans-ethnic people (Hebrews 10:4-10; Ephesians 2:11-22). More on that later.

Read more at http://www.relevantmagazine.com/current/nation/does-god-really-have-special-relationship-america#QesqSJ3SRBlRdmBU.99

2015/7/20 19:36Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re: Does God Really Have a ‘Special’ Relationship with America?

God may not have a special relationship with the USA, but I don't see anything wrong with hoping and praying that he would.

2015/7/20 19:57Profile
dolfan

Tennessee, but my home's in Alabama

Re:

My prayer is that God will have mercy on America. My prayer is that God will show himself merciful to this sinful and perverted people. My prayer is that God will relate to us in such a way that we will come running to him and away from our selves and away from our sin. My prayer is that God will baptize his church with the Holy Spirit one more time in power and in fire that we may work the works of God in this day.

2015/7/20 20:19Profile
Sree

Thank God, I thought I was the only one here on SI who kept emphasizing the point that America is not a Christian nation nor does it enjoy any special privilege. I find many posts even from the Godly people in this forum more patriotic than spiritual when it comes to America. I think it is in their blood to believe that America is special to God and it is a Christian nation etc.

I am thankful to the root that America has and how it sent missionaries to other parts of the world. But in New Covenant, God is not calling Christians to make a nation on the earth for themselves. He is calling them out of nations. So we should always be willing to come out of US, no matter how much America has provided for you.

Also I do not believe calling America to Repent is a Biblical statement. In New Covenant, no nation is called to repent. Jesus called only the Churches in those nations to repent in revelation. There were no letters to churches.

In Short New Covenant life is for individuals to be lead by the Spirit. We cannot expect a nation itself to be lead by God's spirit.

2015/7/21 1:15Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

When there is revival In a nation, God does certainly have a special relationship with that nation.

2015/7/21 6:43Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

"Does God Really Have a ‘Special’ Relationship with America?"

I don't know if he does or not, but I do know America needs a special relationship with God, and we need it today in Jesus mighty name.

2015/7/21 8:38Profile
JFW

Dothan, Alabama

Brother Jeff you make a very valid point!

I totally disagree with the findings and or purpose of this article; and while I'm by no means a nationalist or even politically minded, the facts are indisputable and all the denial in the world won't change them even if it's by a "Christian magazine".
What other nation has (other than Israel) been dedicated to the purposes of God from its founding?
What other nation has put God in such a central framework regarding its trust in Him?
Now in no way am I suggesting we have been the best stewards of this nation or her God given giftings, however to cynically suggest that God is beyond having a "special" relationship with a nation is borderline blasphemous!
I mean does He not say, "draw near to me and I will draw near unto you"? That sounds special to me considering the alternative...
Are we seriously suggesting here,in agreement with this article, that God has given up on "nation healing"? And that to do so would be to go backwards?!! And then tries to draw comparisons in Galatians and makes old covenant references?!
What other nation sends as many missionaries?
What other nation spends as much on foreign aid?
What other nation exalts the bible in their political and judicial proceedings?

If thess few things aren't evidence that the nation in question at least "had" a special relationship with God I can't imagine what would?

2015/7/21 8:41Profile
JFW

Dothan, Alabama

Re:

I would post the link but do not want to violate the terms of SermonIndex forums so for all who may be unaware or just missed it, one can easily find both the video and transcripts in Charismanews of Johnathan Cahn's speech on Capital Hill a few months ago.
He puts forth a decidedly different perspective replete with dates/facts and other historical data both secular and biblical.
Or a Google search will render the video which is 8:51 so it's short and to the point.

2015/7/21 9:27Profile
Heydave

Hampshire, UK

Re:

As an outsider, but one who often visits the USA I would say the distinction between America the nation and the Church IN America is confused and taken as one and the same by many.

Let's be clear in our thinking, yes a nation can be blessed when the church has influence upon it's laws and society and judgment may be withheld due to the presence of the righteous (e.g. Sodom and Lot). However it is not the 'nation' that is righteous or sends out missionaries, or preaches the gospel, it is the church IN that nation. Also revival comes to the church and folk are added to it from the nation. The nation does not get revived as such. (Edit: add:) A revival happens IN a nation. When folk get revived and saved they become part of a new nation, the Kingdom of God.

Separation of Church and State seems to have lost over the years in the thinking of many. Only the church has a special relationship with God (through Christ), not any nation of this world.

2015/7/21 9:43Profile
dolfan

Tennessee, but my home's in Alabama

Re:

There is zero biblical reason to see a special relationship between God and any nation now EXCEPT when God expressly defines and selects a nation for His specific use. Biblically, He did select nations for such a relationship.

After the Scriptures, however, we are wildly speculative whenever we "see" such a relationship, and we have no authority on which to base our speculation. That does not mean God has not used a nation for His glory, but that can be any nation in any time frame for any of His particular situational activity.

America has no foundation "in God". Certain leaders *cited* God as inspiration for thheir noble thoughts, but they did not thereby create a special "God and country" relationship. God has one royal nation--the church. He is bringing Jew and Gentile to it even now. In every place, He still orchestrates circumstances so that some will hear and believe the testimony of Jesus.

It is no argument that Americans have allied with Israel, sent missionaries, funded evangelism, etc. as proof of special relationship with America. In Christ, we have no resume. He alone is our Qualifier. To the extent He has sovereignly chosen to use people in the US for these ends is to His glory and says nothing of merit about America itself.

2015/7/21 10:32Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy