SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : THE SWORD OF GOLLIATH: WRAPPED BEHIND THE EPHOD...PT I

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
endlessjoe

University of Calabar Nigeria

THE SWORD OF GOLLIATH: WRAPPED BEHIND THE EPHOD...PT I

TEXT: 1SAMUEL 17:50-51 & 21:8-9

"So David prevailed over the Philistine with a sling and with a
stone, and smote the Philistine, and slew him; but there was
no sword in the hand of David.Therefore David ran, and stood
upon the Philistine, and took his sword, and drew it out of the
sheath thereof, and slew him, and cut off his head therewith.
And when the Philistines saw their champion was dead, they
fled."

"And David said unto Ahimelech, And is there not here under
thine hand spear or sword? for I have neither brought my
sword nor my weapons with me, because the king's business
required haste. And the priest said, The sword of Goliath the
Philistine, whom thou slewest in the valley of Elah, behold, it
is here wrapped in a cloth behind the ephod: if thou wilt take
that, take it: for there is no other save that here. And David
said, There is none like that; give it me."

The EPHOD is the garment of the high priest, in which were the Urim and Thummim, and the breastplate, or the linen vestments of the priests; see 1Sa 22:18; which were laid up in a chamber for their use; and behind them the sword of Goliath was wrapped up in a linen cloth, and reserved as a monument of the goodness of God to Israel, and the salvation of them wrought by the hands of David, who slew Goliath with this his own sword, and brought it with him.

At this point in time, David was chased about aggressively by Saul, who was intent upon killing him. David, I believe, was encouraged again for seeing the sword of Golliath. This sword reminded him of the ability within him...he must have surmised, when he saw the sword, that if he could kill Golliath, who is Saul that he should be afraid of...if God subdued Golliath before him, then Saul is nothing before God!

His coming to the house of God was for this very crucial purpose: he needed to be reassured again of God's providence and ability. God brought him face to face with his victory in the past so that he can encourage him to face his present challenges. A remembered blessing is a boost for a strength for our present challenges.

When a man counts his blessings and name them one by one, he is automatically energised for any current challenges. When we fall back on God's past deeds, we would draw strength to combat any thing that stands on our way at the momments.

Here lies a very key wisdom as to how to move the people of God forward in the momments of their challenges. The sword of Golliath was wrapped and kept safe behind the priestly garments or vestments in the tabanacle. Its sight reminds every worshipper of God's ability to save from the mighty. It suggests God's goodness, power and sovereignty. It is an evident and visual record of the testimony of God. Whoever has a Golliath before him only need to come into the temple and take a look at it, then strength would ensue from such sight.

So, ministers of God need to record or keep records of God awesome deeds in the temple or house of God, wrapping them in linen cloth and dropping them behind the EPHOD. We encourage public testimony of God's deliverance, protection, provision, and salvation. God's goodness should be declared in the temple or His house before His people.

The sword of Golliath should be brought into His house not kept in a man's house. David first kept the whole armor in his house; (see 1Samuel 17:54) "David took the head of the Philistine and brought it to Jerusalem, but he put his armor in his tent." But later, he understood this principle then brought it into God's house as a monument to announce to all Israel that God is still in Israel!

Every victory should be brought before our High priest, Jesus! Servants of God should record all vistories; wrapping them and dropping them behind the EPHOD. Our victories should not be kept hidden in our houses and homes: we should release them into the hand of our high priest for the benefit of all who come into the temple in the hour of their need.

When a man comes to the priest and tells him there is a "Golliath" troubling his life, all that the priest needs to do, is to pull out the sword of the senior Golliath, whom David slew: this would put strength and faith in that man. Golliath has other kinsmen and brothers. He was the senior brother.

May we have a church that has what to show to men in their momments of fear that would encourage them. Come with me pls on this crucial meditation...pray along...and humbly follow on! The devil would not allow us know the truth! To be continued!

2015/7/19 16:13Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy