Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Revelation 22:10-11

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Revelation 22:10-11

Maybe I should post this in the scripture forum, but am afraid people won't see it and respond...would like to get your thoughts on my question.

Revelation 22:10-11: And he said to me, “Do not seal up the words of the prophecy of this book, for the time is near. Let the one who does wrong, still do wrong; and the one who is filthy, still be filthy; and let the one who is righteous, still practice righteousness; and the one who is holy, still keep himself holy.” NASB

Revelation 22:10-11: "And he saith unto me, Seal not the sayings of the prophecy of this book: for the time is at hand. He that is unjust, let him be unjust still: and he which is filthy, let him be filthy still: and he that is righteous, let him be righteous still: and he that is holy, let him be holy still." KJV

I read these verses this morning and for the first time ever, they grabbed my attention - never gave them much thought before. I got to wondering how this looks like where the rubber meets the road.

How would you apply this to life?

Sandra

2015/6/18 9:51Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re: Rvelation 22:10-11

Maybe it is a poetic way of saying that at the judgment there will be no doubt as to who gets what. It will be obvious.

2015/6/18 10:48Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

I don't think it's 'poetry', I think it's fact.

Doesn't God say, be holy, for I am holy? Doesn't God say, without holiness, no one will see the Lord?

How would you apply this to life?

Be holy, for God is holy.

2015/6/18 11:09Profile
JFW

Dothan, Alabama

Blessings Sister Sandra,
This particular passage has also grabbed my attention and has caused me to question age old beliefs that I now understand to be hyperbole. The first time our pastor preached on this it startled me, bursting the paradigm that I had grown so comforted by- namely that "His mercy endureth forever" as the psalmist frequently wrote. This particular passage of scripture seems to be more authoritative in that the chance of it being hyperbole is nil and seems to quite frankly state that in fact His mercy comes to an end right here in vs11 of this 22nd chapter. Other verses seem to readily confirm this fact leading me to consider that perhaps the "Jesus" that most in the modern era believe in is in fact a 2 deminsional construct of our own imagination, a "Jesus" fashioned after our own image if you will.
Recently I've considered several situations in scripture that seems "unchristian" by our modern interpretations, yet undeniably received the full affirmation of God which has led me to reconsider wether the "Jesus" we know is the true and living Christ or just one we made up that's more marketable to the world and more comfortable in our sin...
Basically I'm suggesting we have taken His mercy for granted and have lost that in which our Lord delighted Himself,... the fear of God.
Matthew 7:21 on... Jesus clearly states that most "believers" are going to hell with several parables confirming this fact.
2 Thess 2:9-13 Paul clearly states a similar phenomenon occurring and the people in all cases seem oblivious to their condition.
So this begs the question; if we really believe the day will come that you've pointed out in Rev 22:11, or that we might be given over to a reprobate mind, or sent (by God) a strong delusion that we would believe a lie, or that the mercy we so bountifully rejoice in the newness of every morning will come to an end... How could we live like we do? Or as the writer of Hebrews states "how shall we escape if we neglect so great a salvation?"
It seems to me that the over stating of Gods mercy, which indeed is great, has played a key role in the complacency of His people and caused an almost apathetic response to the soiling of our garments.
Mercy has never nor will ever cancel the righteous requirements of holiness,.. and as far as I can see the only application of grace is to walk in obedience by faith in the promises of God.
Tho nowadays grace has become the gooey stuff God rubs over His eyes before He looks at us so as to play a joke on Himself and call filthy people clean... I submit that this is crazy-town talk and the verse you posted seems to confirm that this idea is indeed foolishness of the highest order.
It's like we're playing with God but He's not playing and the consequences are eternally binding.

2015/6/18 11:14Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

That being said, I think there is danger for an unsaved person to apply this to their life. They might get the impression that there is no hope, which of course is not true.

That is why we have to be careful with a book like Revelation which is apocalyptic literature. Not saying it's not inspired, but it is apocalyptic in nature and every piece cannot be taken literally.

For example, we should not be telling sinners to just keep on sinning based on these verses in Revelation. We should be telling them to repent and believe the Gospel.

2015/6/18 11:33Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Re:

Guess God was joking.

2015/6/18 11:52Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Enid--

Do you really believe those verses stand for the proposition that a person should remain in their sins?

2015/6/18 13:01Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

This is from "The Homiletic Monthly" from 1883.
"Light on Important Texts," No XXII, By Howard Crosby, D.D., LL.D.:

This passage is not a declaration of the fixity of conditions after death and the judgment, as it is generally supposed to be. The context shows this. It is Jesus who speaks (verses 10 to 16 inclusively), and we see by verse 12 He speaks 'before' His coming to the judgment. The passage is a prediction, put more strikingly in the imperative mood. In the 10th verse He declares that the time in which the prophecy given to John would be fulfilled was at hand, and in the 12th verse He declares that He is coming quickly.

Between these two is our passage, which states that the good and evil will go on as before until the day of doom. The unjust (or unrighteous) in his principles and filthy in his conduct will continue so, and the righteous in his principles and holy in his conduct will continue so. That is, the great opposition between God's people and the children of the devil will continue to the end. The final disposition of the two classes is given in verses 14 and 15.

Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

Verses 14 & 15: Blessed are those who wash their robes, so that they may have the right to the tree of life and may enter the city by the gates. Outside are the dogs, the sorcerers, the sexually immoral, the murderers, the idolaters, and everyone who loves and practices lying.

---------------------------

It seemed to be relevant to the conversation and I thought it's simplicity would add to the conversation.

God bless,
Lisa

2015/6/18 17:12Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

I certainly agree with that interpretation.

2015/6/18 18:33Profile

Re:

Rev 22:10 And he saith unto me, Seal not the sayings of the prophecy of this book: for the time is at hand.
Rev 22:11 He that is unjust, let him be unjust still: and he which is filthy, let him be filthy still: and he that is righteous, let him be righteous still: and he that is holy, let him be holy still.

The KJV version makes more sense to me.

If you die being unjust, filthy or righteous you will "awake" the same person and oh what a day that will be (that is, if you are righteous and holy).

You will be in front of the Lord who you are when you die!!

2015/6/18 18:46

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy