SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : James Dobson: Supreme Court Gay Marriage Ruling Could Be Next 'Roe v. Wade'

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
PosterThread
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

RDG-

I can amen what you wrote as well.

I was not talking about you specifically in my post and I wasn't calling your prayer life lazy. After all, I know nothing about your prayer life. We had a similar situation to yours; my wife's mom was extremely ill and in hospice and we were praying that God would end her suffering and just take her. Then in the shower my wife heard a voice plainly say "you are praying for the wrong thing". So we actually began aggressively praying for healing (imagine that) and whaddya know she recovered.

The point I was trying to make, obviously rather poorly, is praying along the lines of "if it be your will" or something like that-- ESPECIALLY if we believe that everything that actually happens must be Gods will.

Of course I don't think that way which to me is the only way we can make sense out of what prayer does.

2015/5/8 14:36Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

And Mike- I wasn't calling the Lords Prayer wimpy. Why would I do that?

2015/5/8 14:38Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

I have brought this up a couple of times here before, but it seems like no one has addressed it in a reply, for some reason everyone kind of always finds a way around it, without directly addressing it.

Question again, if something is destined to happen, and it's been in God's plans forever, will praying change God's destiny or plans for anything.
Now, just for the record, I'm not saying we shouldn't pray, we should pray about any and everything. Now, just for the record, I'm not saying we shouldn't pray, we should pray, the best answer I have ever received to my question is, it may not change the destiny but it might slow it down some.

If it's God's plan to allow the Supreme Court to vote to allow same-sex marriage, because God has to allow it he's in control of everything, if we pray for them to vote no on same same-sex marriage, because God has to allow it, remember he's in control of everything, if we pray for them to vote no on same-sex marriage will it change God's plan?

Example, the word say's "And ye shall hear of wars and rumours of wars" now if we pray for no wars or rumors of wars to come to pass, will it change Gods mind, and we will never hear of these?

2015/5/8 14:50Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Bill-

That is why I said it makes no sense to pray if everything is already fore-ordained.

It makes sense to pray because everything is NOT fore-ordained.

2015/5/8 15:03Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Quote:
TMK....And Mike- I wasn't calling the Lords Prayer wimpy. Why would I do that?

It appears we must be spiritual brothers, because I can comprehend everything you say, exactly like you meant it to be. Maybe others just read to much into what you say, I just read it at face value, and it also helps you and I are a lot alike, in the way we get things across to others. If your not on the defensive, and you read what you say really careful, and also you have been here long enough for folks to know your nature by now, they should lighten up a little, just my thoughts.

2015/5/8 15:05Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Quote:
TMK....Bill-

That is why I said it makes no sense to pray if everything is already fore-ordained.

It makes sense to pray because everything is NOT fore-ordained.

Yes, some of the things that are fore-ordained,are vague to me, because I am not a Bible Scholar, and just are not sure of what some scripture is saying. We have a free will, so if Bill decides to walk out in front of a car and gets killed, this is NOT fore-ordained, so if we know about this, because Bill mentioned it to someone one day, yes we should Pray Bill changes his mind. Am I on the right track?

2015/5/8 15:15Profile

Re:

Well, this discussion changed course pretty fast.

Jesus is our model. He didn't throw up His hands and say, 'Well, that's just the way He destined it'.

Jesus affected His culture and environment. Sure it wasn't a 'big' ministry by accounts of numbers but it was a deep revolution that birthed the martyr spirit and sacrificial love. People that walked out the Sermon on the Mount, until their deaths. Their commitments, they voice to turn to God's higher lifestyle wasn't heard by all but they didn't sit idly by and watch everyone destroy one another.

Even Job didn't throw up his hands and just accept his lot. He challenged it.

Just because something happens doesn't mean it's God's desire for us. I do have a belief of almost hyper-calvinism but I know my words will probably be viewed as the opposite. I just think that we have a responsibility to demonstrate with our lives the rule and reign of God.

AbideInHim mentioned it a few times. To pray for revival that God would change the hearts and minds of the people.

The Lord's prayer is for heaven to be on earth. Do we model heaven in our homes? With our families? If not, then that's where we start. Following the call of the Sermon on the Mount. To love our enemies and the other higher callings in that message.

When we model God's reign on earth in our private lives, let us pray for God to reproduce it within others lives.

Let's not forget it only took a few people (generally less than 10) for many revivals to break out throughout various cities/states throughout church history.

Jesus wasn't passive in His ministry but He was intentional about redefining our way of life. Let's break the fallow ground in our hearts and press into His full reign.

2015/5/8 15:40
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Saints,

We ask that discussions here be on edifying terms if you are not able to do that then it is better not to post. It is better to leave someone else to win the argument so to speak, then to join in on arguing back and forth over something that is off the issue or important matter.

The thread is on prayer for our nation, especially prayer towards the homosexuality in the supreme court, it would be good to keep discussions geared in that direction. In the end why is the not the Church mourning at this point in America for the lack of prayer in assemblies and meetings, the Wednesday prayer meetings have been virtually forsaken and many churches do not have a prayer meeting at all. Most contemporary or even conservative churches begin every service with chattering and talking and end the service in the same way. The difference in older churches is everyone would come in a spirit of prayer, quietness and waiting on the Lord. Mega Churches play music right up to the speaker begins the meeting, so that everyone is pre-occupied.

Prayer has languished, the nation is rotting and if we are just arguing over theological terms and ideas and we have lost the souls of men.

2015/5/8 16:35Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Greg-

I do agree with the sentiment of what you are saying.

But it seems that there has been an awful lot of prayer on this issue, for several years now and things keep degrading.

I think it is legitimate to discuss why this is the case.

Is there not enough prayer? If not, how much is enough?

Must revival come first?

It seems pretty clear that the Church in America is so far below the Kingdom level (per the examples you mention) that national revival is doubtful, short of some huge crisis. Perhaps that is why prayers along these lines are not being answered- God is allowing things to devolve to a point. What that point may be, who can tell.

2015/5/8 18:05Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

I guess technically this thread is a little off topic, but all post were related to prayer. Maybe we should start a thread called Prayer, then we can discussed the many different opinions we all have touched on.

I just would like to have an answer to my question, regardless of what we call the thread, seems like most folks shy away from answering my question.

2015/5/8 18:35Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy