Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : The Habit of Judging Others

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 The Habit of Judging Others

For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. - Matthew 7:2

Many in our day seek to want to judge and prove it biblical to do so. They will say it is love to judge and right to judge and for anyone to say otherwise seems to take away the freedom of christian individuals. Of course any of us can judge another, in our minds we judge many people everyday in different ways. We all hold opinions of individuals thinking of them in a good or bad light. Our Lord though at times gave a corrective word to those were in a dangerous place of pride and self-importance, he always seemed to have grace to anyone who humbled themselves and saw their need. Jesus did not judge anyone but rather said that the words he spoke would judge people in the end. In other words those who would submit to and fall on the rock of Christ would be shown mercy but those who tried to stand on their own would be judged by the standard of God's righteousness. There is a saying in the world "what goes around comes around" and that actually is a bible principle that "what someone sows they will end up reaping" (Galatians 6:7). Our Lord is saying the same truth in a different light that the way we judge others, the same the God of the universe will deal with us.

St. John of Kronstadt said, "Do not have a passion for noticing every sin in your neighbor and judging it, as we usually do. Everyone will give an answer for himself before God. Especially, do not look with evil intention on the sins of those older than you, with whom you have no business. But correct your own sins, your own heart." Chrysostom, said it more plainly, "One who strictly prosecutes the misdemeanors of others will find not condescension towards his own." It seems younger believers in the Lord consider themselves right in most cases. When I was younger in the Lord, I foolishly was happy to be a part in exposing a preachers failing, sharing the news item with others. Today, I weep and pray for the individual and have sadness over the way it hurts the testimony of Christ in the world. The way of godliness is to pray for your neighbour or other Christian that you see sin in. Come to the person with love and goodwill and win them over with gentleness to help them in their sin (Galatians 6:1). Look to your own live in the area where you are seeing someone fail and ask God to help you in these areas in the fear of the Lord. One desert father in the 3rd century, when asked what to do about the habit of judging others he said to 3 times a day prostrate yourself before God to ask mercy for the person's sin and for God to have mercy on yourself a sinner. May God cure us from habitually judging others and not ourselves.

2015/4/28 20:17Profile
wayneman

Michigan

Re: The Habit of Judging Others

11 Do not speak evil of one another, brethren. He who speaks evil of a brother and judges his brother, speaks evil of the law and judges the law. But if you judge the law, you are not a doer of the law but a judge. 12 There is one Lawgiver, who is able to save and to destroy. Who are you to judge another? James 4:11-12

And if we persist in the habit of judging others, then the habit becomes an obsession. When several people in bondage to the sin of judgment gravitate together, a sect is born, and the whole church life is sectarian dogmatizing, denunciatory preaching and favorably comparing themselves to everybody else. Sectarianism is the corporate expression of a critical spirit. Regrettably, I know all this from experience.

But an experience of God’s grace breaks our propensity for judging others, as seen in Ezekiel 16:

“You who judged your sisters, bear your own shame also, because the sins which you committed were more abominable than theirs; they are more righteous than you…Nevertheless I will remember My covenant with you…that you may remember and be ashamed, and never open your mouth anymore because of your shame, when I provide you an atonement for all you have done,” says the Lord GOD.

2015/4/28 22:32Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

How do we apply this to the case of Bruce Jenner? Lots of Christians are saying some pretty judgmental things.

I like Paul Washers quote: "people tell me "judge not lest he be judged." I tell them, "twist not the scriptures, lest ye become like Satan."

2015/4/29 9:45Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
And if we persist in the habit of judging others, then the habit becomes an obsession. When several people in bondage to the sin of judgment gravitate together, a sect is born, and the whole church life is sectarian dogmatizing, denunciatory preaching and favorably comparing themselves to everybody else. Sectarianism is the corporate expression of a critical spirit. Regrettably, I know all this from experience.

Amen brother, powerful thoughts and Scriptures shared.

Quote:
I like Paul Washers quote: "people tell me "judge not lest he be judged." I tell them, "twist not the scriptures, lest ye become like Satan."

We first need to make the difference between judging someone and a false teacher. If someone is a very blatant false teacher there is more clarity and allowance to speak directly into the situation and even name the name of the person at times. Paul the Apostle does this with I believe 4 different occasions. But the general rule even in this case is to speak on the doctrine that is wrong and not necessarily the person. Towards judging others and the passage of Matthew 7 it is clear that our first choice should be to judge ourselves. If we have a disagreement or problem with a brother, in love and grace we go privately to them. We probably first pray for them, if it is a serious problem or sin, we should fast and pray even. If our goal is not love then it is better to probably leave the sin alone and allow God to judge him in the last day.

Quote:
How do we apply this to the case of Bruce Jenner? Lots of Christians are saying some pretty judgmental things.

Towards judging or speaking against those outside the Church, you simply do not see the Apostles speaking condemning or hard words to any leaders or others outside the church. We must love all men, seek to be at peace with them, pray for them and share the Good News with them. On the issue of sex-changes the Scriptures are clear this is un-natural and a sin. One does not need to crusade against an individual and also it is a shame to even mention in the churches what the ungodly do (Ephesians 5:12).

Trust that helps.

2015/4/29 12:27Profile

Re: The Habit of Judging Others

Quote: "When I was younger in the Lord, I foolishly was happy to be a part in exposing a preachers failing, sharing the news item with others. Today, I weep and pray for the individual and have sadness over the way it hurts the testimony of Christ in the world. The way of godliness is to pray for your neighbour or other Christian that you see sin in. Come to the person with love and goodwill and win them over with gentleness to help them in their sin (Galatians 6:1). Look to your own live in the area where you are seeing someone fail and ask God to help you in these areas in the fear of the Lord. "

Powerful word. This is very humbling and timely.

2016/11/15 16:16

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy