SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Waiting In Silence Before God In Prayer

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Waiting In Silence Before God In Prayer

My soul, wait silently for God alone, For my expectation is from Him. - Psalm 62:5

Silence is a scary thing for most people. It seems human nature is built with the desire to communicate, share and speak. To remain quiet and still seem to go against the flow of our very being at times. This can carry over into christian life where believers in the Lord find it very difficult to remain quiet in prayer for any given amount of time. As we try to pray at times during our busy day our mind still races on with all the to-do's and tasks of the day. The scriptures thought give us constant encouragements to seek to cater a life of silence, contemplation, mediation on the words of God and eternal realities. God is waiting at times for us to slow down and simply spend some time with him. Imagine if we put words to our actions: No Lord not right now I am busy with this task, no Lord not right now I need to eat, no Lord I really want to watch this movie I need the time to relax, no Lord not right now I need to ask others to pray for me I really need it!

Does this hit close to home? God is looking for us to stop and be silent at times waiting in his presence. He longs to speak to us, commune with us and he is glad when we can simply be there with him, showing we love and worship him. The christian discipline of silence in prayer has never been taught rarely in evangelical circles, the idea of mysticism has scared people away from seeking God till he is found. Evangelicals like A.W. Tozer pushed against this belief as he would seek God prostrate in prayer in silence for many hours. God is more real then any physical thing in the earth that we see. He desires us to seek him as he should be sought. Spend time with him. Even just 30 minutes in silence waiting on him. Expect the Lord to speak into your situations and give you guidance, love and strength for what you are going through. Seek God for God alone and you will find him.

2015/3/28 23:51Profile
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Re: Waiting In Silence Before God In Prayer

Amen! "Be still and know that I am God". This can be hard on the flesh.

2015/3/29 9:37Profile
wijnand

A question.. where is 'waiting in silence' in the new testament?

I have read many books on waiting and prayer, but prayer is everywhere in the New Testament, but waiting in silence seems to be only found in the New Testament. The same with 'seeking God', it seems much more in the old testament, then in the new (although there are some instances).

2015/3/30 10:10Profile
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Re:

"where is 'waiting in silence' in the new testament?"

I believe that the answer to your question could be found in examining what prayer is.

One vital aspect of prayer is that it is communication with God, and communication necessitates both speaking and hearing, and if we are going to hear from God then we are going to have to wait on Him in silence. Jesus said that "my sheep hear my voice." We will only hear God's voice if we block out the other voices, and this requires waiting in silence to hear the still small voice of God in our innermost being.

In the New Testament there were times when Jesus went to isolated places to pray. He was all alone with His Father. Jesus only did the will of His Father, and what He saw His Father doing, and much of the instruction for the day was given to Jesus as He communed with His Father in prayer. This required waiting in silence.

2015/3/30 12:52Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

As they ministered to the Lord and fasted, the Holy Spirit said, “Now separate to Me Barnabas and Saul for the work to which I have called them.” - Acts 13:2

It seems very unproductive to wait. Yet the Apostles who were anxious to see the Good News message go across the world and the roman empire they still considered it important to be still at times. In this verse we have a wonderful snapshot into the early Church practice of seeking God. There seemed to be an emphasis not on asking God for things but rather seeking Him for Himself. God is the great important one and we all are nothing in comparison. Even God's work in the earth is second best to God Himself. You can imagine seeing the Apostles and co-workers on their knees or prostrate just waiting on God. No food, meals, coffee or snacks these brethren meant business or rather were simply happy to focus on what really mattered to them, their Heavenly Father.

Another aspect to the word ministered is that the Apostles served and worshipped God's Name. This extolled him for his goodness, grace, mercy, and power. Thankfulness also is always mentioned in the New Testament when believers pray. The Church is not our work it is His. It is not our agendas or plans that will make an eternal difference it is the Lord's. Saul and Barnabas knew these truths and therefore sought God in the stillness and worship. Then all of a sudden as clear as day-light they heard God's voice directing them to the next assignment for them. May this simple passage encourage us to wait at times, in the stillness and anticipate God directing us for our next task.

2015/3/30 21:38Profile
flaglady

Northern New York

Being Silent before the LORD is one of my favorite things.
It reminds me of Psa 46:10 Be still and know that I am GOD.
I have a favorite mountain place to go with my kayak and Bible.
I spend hrs in the quiet and just listen to HIM and spend TIME with HIM..
Hurry winter be over so i can go and hang out with the HOLY Ghost the loons and the turtles.

I think that my most productive times have been in silence with the Father.. If we would all wait upon HIM we would be so much more in tune with HIM. I believe.
Isa 40: those that wait upon the Lord will renew their strength they will run and not be weary..

God is never in a hurry we are.. We all need to be silent with HIM more I know I do.. and love it.
Just some thoughts.
In silence with Him presently..
Frannie

2015/3/30 22:32Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy